Clear all

TMC2130  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
SirFridge
(@sirfridge)
TMC2130

So I just watched this:

I have an i3 mk2s and I was wondering about the software compatibility since the firmware for the i3 and i2 are the same. Anyone any idea with this? quieter running seems great really.

Publié : 09/12/2017 10:35 pm
Hobby Hoarder
(@hobby-hoarder-2)
Trusted Member
Re: TMC2130

I'd be more interested to know if it's possible to use this drivers with the stock Mk2S board? Comparing what he's showing in the video to Prusa's board, I can't see how I'd be able to hook them up.

Would you need to buy a new board as well if you wanted to use 2130 on Mk2S?

Publié : 10/12/2017 1:20 pm
simon.n2
(@simon-n2)
Eminent Member

I'm wondering the same. Checking the Pin-Out of the Rambo-Mini it should be feasible if you are not using the MMU. You could use the pins of P3 for CS.

You'd need to hook up the driver's externally.

The issue is that the code for the TMC2130 is completely missing inside the MK2 firmware. You could switch to original Marlin FW but then you'd loose Prusa's mojo.

I'm not an expert on electronics but I've done my share with Arduino and I think it's absolutely doable.

@rincewind: Nice nickname btw 🙂 RIP Terry 🙁

Publié : 10/12/2017 3:57 pm
Daniel
(@daniel-17)
Eminent Member

Won't it be just easier to be able to purchase the new EINSY and a new PSU board and use a stepdown converter (24->12) for the plate and the extruder?
This way we can use the new "silent" board with trinamic drives on the mk2s saving on some parts..

Publié : 10/12/2017 4:05 pm
misan
(@misan)
Membre Moderator

Using a step-down converter would be a bit of a problem as it would have to be high power if powering the bed.

Publié : 10/12/2017 9:55 pm
simon.n2
(@simon-n2)
Eminent Member

You could also use a separate 12v PSU and a relay. there are enough possibilities.

Publié : 10/12/2017 10:31 pm
Chris W
(@chris-w-4)

I am a little surprised Prusa didn't have a new board as part of the 2.5 upgrade. Sure it would have taken design q/a etc resources to do... but there isn't really anything stopping a board upgrade with the new drivers, pi zero header, etc improvements all without the need to do the huge replacement of switching voltages and thus pretty much everything else. You may never get the advantages of power panic in the PSU, stepper motors, etc. However, there is something to be said about improving the existing platform as much as you can. It just feels like this upgrade is mostly for the improved PINDA, heat bed, and sensor. I will grant you the heat bed is a big deal though, just the other items feel more like what you could get aftermarket but made a kit. Nice to have it all together, but doesn't feel like its not quite up to the "oh wow" we normally get from Prusa upgrades.

Publié : 12/12/2017 1:39 am
cristian.s
(@cristian-s)
Trusted Member

I wonder if we can make a merge of the new code in the MK3 branch into the MK2 and pull the TMC2130 specific code but yeah, the code base is pretty big, without official support it will be hard.

I would 50 euros for such an upgrade but I don't know if it would make sense for Prusa from a business perspective.

Publié : 13/12/2017 3:45 pm
slippyr4
(@slippyr4)
Eminent Member

I’ve been looking into the MK3 firmware a bit (I maintain a fork of prusa firmware for ramps based clones) and it’s pretty clear that the intention is ultimately for there to be one code base for all thenprinters, mk2 included. Although it doesn’t work yet, there are bugs. But you wait, I’d wager than the next major firmware release will essentially be the MK3 firmware with the MK3 bits turned off, which could easily be reenabled.

Publié : 20/12/2017 8:34 pm
tobias.k3
(@tobias-k3)
Trusted Member

Any updates on this topic? I would definitely get some TMC2130 if the integration in the firmware won't too complicated

----------------------------------------------
PRUSA MK2
- Noctua fan 40mm
- MK2/MK3 hybrid extruder

Publié : 12/01/2018 3:04 pm
tobias.k3
(@tobias-k3)
Trusted Member

Someone did it with TMC2100 ! Pretty good job:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Prusai3users/permalink/876272179223931/

https://vmod.wordpress.com/prusa-mk2s-ext-driver-board/

(I planned something like this with TMC2100 myself. I only have to find time for this.)

PRUSA MK2
- Noctua fan 40mm

Publié : 02/02/2018 11:28 am
Tchad
(@tchad)

I upgraded my Mk2S to TMC2130 following Tom's guide. I did end up switching boards, and then reconfigured vanilla Marlin firmware, so my Mk2S is presently not running the Prusa firmware (which causes a dilemma with my Mk2.5 upgrade kit, more on that in a moment).

I bought a MKS Gen V1.4 board from TwlevePro, and the 2130s from Filastruder. I then bought some cable ends for each board style and created adapter cables so I didn't have to clip the wire ends off my Mk2S hardware.

Getting vanilla Marlin working was a bit of a pain, so if anyone goes this route let me know and I'll send you my config files. I wouldn't consider them polished or 100% done, but they work, and have been for several weeks now. The main annoyance is that the change filament menu changed somewhat, and requires an extra click or two in my current firmware.

I'm now wondering if the Einsy Rambo 1.1 with TMC2130s from UltiMachine would work with the Prusa firmware. I'm assuming it's pretty close, if not an exact match, to what is shipping in the Mk3. I noticed in the Mk3 pictures that the board says Rambo 0.5, and I'm not sure how much has changed between that and version 1.1 that is available for order.

My dilemma is that I just received my Mk2.5 upgrade kit, but I'm not sure I want to screw with figuring out how to wire the new sensors to my board and figure out the firmware changes. If a Einsy Rambo 1.1 would work, I might order one of those and load the Mk3 firmware.

I'll update this with more results later, I'm still printing the printed parts for my Mk2.5 kit.

Publié : 12/03/2018 9:52 pm
digibluh
(@digibluh)
Reputable Member

Someone did it with TMC2100 ! Pretty good job:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Prusai3users/permalink/876272179223931/

https://vmod.wordpress.com/prusa-mk2s-ext-driver-board/

(I planned something like this with TMC2100 myself. I only have to find time for this.)

they did change the firmware. i soldered my wires on the under-side of the board where the stepper motor inputs are broken out, so no software changes required. you don't need to worry about silent mode, as the thing is quiet, just adjust the vref pot on the board. you can use 2130's in non-SPI mode too. there is no need to do anything to firmware or the boards if you can solder (this is a big one) and you can just run with the same firmware like usual. you're just effectively swapping the drivers. you don't need the sensor less homing or back efm/skip detection. silent is nice, and it just works.

The only exception is i used a step up converter to 24v... because motor whine at 12v. i have ones from filastruder, not chineese ones. (2100's)

Publié : 13/03/2018 5:53 am
tobias.k3
(@tobias-k3)
Trusted Member

Those a pretty interesting reports. Thanks!

I just received my TMC2130 drivers and see in the next weeks how to integrate them into the system. For now the cheap Chineses ones from Fysetc Model 1.0 (V1.1 comes with SPI mode as standard). Maybe I order some from Watterott when it is working.

PRUSA MK2
- Noctua fan 40mm

Publié : 13/03/2018 9:57 am
tobias.k3
(@tobias-k3)
Trusted Member

@ eric.k4 : Can you post some pics of your board mod and the pins you soldered to?

PRUSA MK2
- Noctua fan 40mm

Publié : 13/03/2018 11:23 am
simon.n2
(@simon-n2)
Eminent Member

I've made a "shield" to use up to four TMC2130 on the Rambo Mini.

https://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14993

Any feedback appreciated.

Publié : 18/03/2018 1:18 pm
NTX9
 NTX9
(@ntx9)
Eminent Member

This TMC2130 thing is a real dilemma for MK2 owners. Has anyone experimented with a dual voltage setup. Would that allow running MK3 Firmware on an Einsy board?

Publié : 21/03/2018 5:57 am
simon.n2
(@simon-n2)
Eminent Member

This TMC2130 thing is a real dilemma for MK2 owners. Has anyone experimented with a dual voltage setup. Would that allow running MK3 Firmware on an Einsy board?

It should run wihtout any issue with the Einsy board, especially when you have the 2.5 upgrade. I will report on it as soon as I have the 2.5 upgrade.

Publié : 26/03/2018 4:54 pm
digibluh
(@digibluh)
Reputable Member

@ eric.k4 : Can you post some pics of your board mod and the pins you soldered to?

someplace. they're under the board and marked. they're tiny pads... you can see them through the holes in this image (they're upsidedown) - EEN,EDIR,EREF would be extruder, then there is X,Y and Z EN, DIR, REF pads too. REF is for the current (it's a pwm signal). you can skip that if you tune them via the pot on the board or use ISP which would need to connect to some other pins on the top of the board.

Publié : 26/03/2018 5:35 pm
Olef
 Olef
(@olef)
Prominent Member

(Cross posted)

I completed mine yesterday. I now have a Mk3 with the Einsy RAMBo in a Haribo 3030 extrusion frame, running a Mk2.5 12v heated bed with removable sheet. The bed is running off a 12v Mk2S PSU and the rest of the printer is running off a 24v Prusa PSU. Both PSU's are mounted on the frame and because neither is under full load they both stay cool and should last a while. I supply the Einsy with 24v only and switch an external MOSFET board which the 12v PSU is linked to for the bed.

The printer is gorgeous. It is as quiet and well behaved as my Mk3, all the Mk3 features are turned on and I am running the latest 3.1.3 Mk3 firmware and loving the removable steel sheet bed.

Now I just need to wait for the powder coated sheets so I can get two of them for my vouchers and free shipping!

Working out the full Mk3 conversion with the 2.5 bed was well worth it. I wonder if I have the 1st Mk3 Haribo Mod?

🙂

Publié : 27/03/2018 7:57 am
Page 1 / 2
Partager :