Notifications
Clear all

Help printing Markforged Onyx 800cm3  

RSS
anthonydahanne
(@anthonydahanne)
Help printing Markforged Onyx 800cm3

Hello all,

A friend of mine working with non hobbyist printers (they print aeronautics components I believe) gave me the remaining of a Markforged Onyx 800cm3 spool - enough to print few things I believe.

Here is a data sheet of this material: https://markforged.com/product/onyx-filament/

I have no clue what slicing parameters I have to give to Prusa Slicer; I'm  a hobbyist capable of printing the benchy boat with PLA, PETG and some of my son creations.

What bed / extruder temperatures , etc. should I set ?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Best Answer by Crawlerin:

@anthonydahanne

For printing composites like filaments filled with wood, chopped carbon fiber and metallic particles, you need hardened steel nozzle. Brass is pretty soft for these, those filaments will grind it down, and the hole in nozzle will be bigger and bigger 🙂  You can buy one from Prusa shop, but there may be other suppliers in your area. Check local 3D printing (e)shops and look for "hardened steel nozzle". There are more of those on the market.

Prusa Slicer has some profiles for few CF Nylon filaments, just re-run the Configuration Wizard from Configuration menu, jump to Filaments and look for Nylon profiles. That's a good starting point, adjust your settings by printing for example temperature tower and calibration cube to adjust printing temperature and extrusion multiplier.

This topic was modified před 3 years by anthonydahanne
Napsal : 28/05/2021 9:43 pm
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member
RE: Help printing Markforged Onyx 800cm3

"Onyx is Nylon mixed with chopped carbon fiber"

I'd start with something like CF Nylon. You will need hardened nozzle though, and possibly also inspect and replace Bowden tube after you are finished with it.

Napsal : 28/05/2021 11:19 pm
anthonydahanne se líbí
anthonydahanne
(@anthonydahanne)
Topic starter answered:

Hey there @crawlerin, thanks for your reply !

> I'd start with something like CF Nylon

Hum OK, I guess the presence of carbon would also make it similar to Composite materials (filled with carbon, kevlar or glass) as well.

> You will need hardened nozzle though

Ouch, I don't have one handy; I'd need to order this one I guess: https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/accessories-mk3s-mk25s-mini/90-hardened-steel-nozzle-e3d-v6.html#

Thanks for your reply, I just wished I could use this filament without extra gear...

Napsal : 29/05/2021 1:51 pm
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

@anthonydahanne

For printing composites like filaments filled with wood, chopped carbon fiber and metallic particles, you need hardened steel nozzle. Brass is pretty soft for these, those filaments will grind it down, and the hole in nozzle will be bigger and bigger 🙂  You can buy one from Prusa shop, but there may be other suppliers in your area. Check local 3D printing (e)shops and look for "hardened steel nozzle". There are more of those on the market.

Prusa Slicer has some profiles for few CF Nylon filaments, just re-run the Configuration Wizard from Configuration menu, jump to Filaments and look for Nylon profiles. That's a good starting point, adjust your settings by printing for example temperature tower and calibration cube to adjust printing temperature and extrusion multiplier.

This post was modified před 3 years by Crawlerin
Napsal : 31/05/2021 10:24 pm
anthonydahanne
(@anthonydahanne)
Topic starter answered:

@crawlerin

thanks so much, I'll check it out (hardened steel nose) and update this thread when I have a print!

Napsal : 01/06/2021 12:01 pm
Zoltan
(@zoltan)
Member Moderator

@anthonydahanne

i would advise firstly to print a couple ( 50-60 ?) of models from different materials before you start with composites. This can prevent a disappointment that you will have to throw away this composite material.  😉 

even an old man can learn new things 🙂
Standard I3 mk3s, MMU2S, Prusa Enclosure, Fusion 360, PrusaSlicer, Windows 10
PRUSA MINI+ Prusalink + Prusa Connect

Napsal : 01/06/2021 12:17 pm
anthonydahanne se líbí
Share: