Clear all

100°C bed temperature?  

RSS
Bodo
 Bodo
(@bodo)
Estimable Member
100°C bed temperature?

I've ordered the Mini, but since wonder if I can use all materials, I use with the Mk3s (in an enclosure): with all ABS filaments, I work with, I start with a 105°C bed temperature, and with most, this seems to work. Some need 110°C; one even warped so hard that it got loose in the first layer already. 125°C 1st layer bed temperature solved this. When I tested the best bed temperature for the problematic filament, I also noticed that the Mk3s will do a temperature cutoff at 130°C.

Now, the Mini is said to have a max bed temp of 100°C in Josef's announcement in the comparison table. The Mk3s is listed in the next column with a nominal 120°C. Does that mean the Mini will cutoff at 110°C?

I do also wonder what limits the bed temperature in the Mini? Power supply? Relay? Heater element? Bed materials?

Posted : 10/11/2019 6:47 pm
Greybeard3D
(@greybeard3d)
Estimable Member
RE: 100°C bed temperature?

I think there is motivation to draw some level of separation between the mk3s and the mini. 

Posted : 26/11/2019 4:46 am
Bodo
 Bodo
(@bodo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

That'd be fair enough. Wonder how complex a hack for temperature increase would be.

Posted : 04/12/2019 6:21 pm
Greybeard3D
(@greybeard3d)
Estimable Member

Probably just firmware change. 

Posted : 04/12/2019 7:24 pm
burtronix liked
oopsitsaflame
(@oopsitsaflame)

@phr0ze

most probably the limit is not accessible via gcode/the menue and the board only accepts digitally signed firmwares so you can only upload those or loose waranty when breaking the appendix on your board to disable the signage checking.

Posted : 14/12/2019 10:46 pm
padigree
(@padigree)
Trusted Member

I don't wanna give you bad ideas, but what if you change the hardware instead of the software? Temperature is a resistance. If you use another thermistor or additional a resistor, you could easy simulate a temperature which is less than in real -> bed will heat and maybe get broken because it's not built for higher Temps. Only an idea. There is a reason they added that appendix :/

It’s better to give than to receive. Especially advice.

Posted : 15/12/2019 8:30 am
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

I think the limit to bed temp is more a PSU limit than anything else.

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Posted : 15/12/2019 12:32 pm
oopsitsaflame
(@oopsitsaflame)
Posted by: @padigree

I don't wanna give you bad ideas, but what if you change the hardware instead of the software? Temperature is a resistance. If you use another thermistor or additional a resistor, you could easy simulate a temperature which is less than in real -> bed will heat and maybe get broken because it's not built for higher Temps. Only an idea. There is a reason they added that appendix :/

if resistance goes up on those thermistors adding a box with a switch to choose between X-Ohm resistance and no added resistance would not be hard to make.

Posted : 15/12/2019 7:39 pm
Share: