Not a life changer - but it's a time saver. Octoprint, and about $100 for Pi 3B+ and 7 inch screen

Notifications
Clear all

Not a life changer - but it's a time saver. Octoprint, and about $100 for Pi 3B+ and 7 inch screen  

RSS
Dan Rogers
(@dan-rogers)
Noble Member

The last life-changing moment before my Granddaughter was born ... TR-1000 Gold (boaters, you know, you know...).  I finally plunged into the Raspberry Pi world and built up a little assistant that I call Igor - but those of you running OctoPrint already know the gains you get.

I'm guessing, two days in, I am only beginning to learn what I can do easier.  I've got to get the camera going.  maybe I'll make a Python video AI that detects a failed print and aborts or pauses a blob in progress.    Since it runs Python, I surely can do that.  Anybody got a trained model already?

]

Posted : 15/03/2021 12:20 am
Lize
 Lize
(@lize)
Estimable Member
RE: Not a life changer - but it's a time saver. Octoprint, and about $100 for Pi 3B+ and 7 inch screen

I've got the same, its so much better as my computer isn't near the printer.  I'm not as advanced as creating my own Igor, tried a few options but settled on OctoDash, its great to start/restart prints (with thumbnails plug-in) and I really like being able to move the axis and set temperatures without scrolling through the LCD menu.  You can define buttons to run G-Code which I tried but they haven't been as handy as I thought they might be.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Lize
Posted : 15/03/2021 1:54 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: Not a life changer - but it's a time saver. Octoprint, and about $100 for Pi 3B+ and 7 inch screen

Definitely check out the Cancel Objects plugin if you regularly print multiple parts in a single print. If one part is failing, you can cancel it and save the rest of the print.

It's also nice to flash new firmware from Octoprint without dragging a computer over to the printer. 

The terminal interface is handy for entering gcode directly and viewing diagnostic information.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 15/03/2021 5:48 am
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

"AI that detects a failed print and aborts or pauses a blob in progress." check out Spaghetti detective and PrintNanny

Posted : 15/03/2021 9:31 am
Baklin
(@baklin)
Reputable Member

With octoprint you lose the stats like total print time.

I use this plugin for that. You to get an idea about how much the printer is used. 

https://plugins.octoprint.org/plugins/stats/

Posted : 15/03/2021 11:37 am
bobstro liked
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@baklin

Great plugin.  It was abandoned.  I am glad a developer picked it up.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 16/03/2021 9:51 am
Dan Rogers
(@dan-rogers)
Noble Member
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

I was looking at the plugins manager - I would love to be able to cancel a failed teddy bear and let the rest of the little darlin's come out.  Where ot find the cancel instance?

Posted : 17/03/2021 12:39 am
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

OctoPrint-Cancelobject

Posted : 17/03/2021 9:43 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@towlerg

Thanks.  I will have to try this one.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 17/03/2021 10:07 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

Link: https://plugins.octoprint.org/plugins/cancelobject/

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 17/03/2021 10:08 am
Dan Rogers
(@dan-rogers)
Noble Member
Topic starter answered:

Todays octoprint question.  I'm still lagging on applying the latest firmware with the better leveling feature because it has an iffy Linear Advance change that is apparently causing people to have to at least re-slice their old GCODES.  For fishing lures, I regularly disable linear advance to get rid of the little gaps LA leaves in the print.  Lures that sink are no fun, so I'm holding off on that firmware upgrade because the last thing I want is MORE linear advance.

The problem is when I slice a new print, it creates that user prompt at the printer  that I have to press the button on the control panel to clear. When I start a print from Octoprint, the print will not start if that prompt is up - in terminal it just repeats that it is paused waiting for user input.

Now to the question - how can I clear that user prompt from the OctoPrint UI?

Posted : 17/03/2021 4:54 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

You can disable those printer checks in the printer menu. I'm the only user of my Mk3 so don't need all the warnings. You can also remove the lines that do the checks from your start gcode in your slicer. That will eliminate that problem completely.

As far as Linear Advance goes, just use M900 K0 to turn it off. You'll want to insert this in your filament profiles. You can upgrade the firmware without having to use LA. Firmware v3.8.1 had some rather interesting bugs when using Octoprint, so I'd at least get to a higher level than that.

You really do need to calibrate LA settings for each filament to get the results you want. If you don't need what it offers (cleaner corners), just turn it off.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 17/03/2021 5:55 pm
Dan Rogers
(@dan-rogers)
Noble Member
Topic starter answered:

Thanks.  I'm still trying to figure out how to use the filament profiles feature.  My lure prints all embed M900 K0 into the startup code - the rest I just may have to reslice if the new LA gives me an issue.  I kind of like the idea of a more accurate bed mesh.

Posted : 17/03/2021 6:28 pm
Share: