Clear all

Current state of MK2s kit (2017/09)  

RSS
stahlfabrik
(@stahlfabrik)
Honorable Member
Current state of MK2s kit (2017/09)

Hi everyone,

I received my MK2S kit today. I ordered it on the "back to school" promotion weekend. It is such an pleasure to unpack and I can't wait to get it build and running. Looking forward to discuss with you in the future. Have been silently reading the forums for weeks now. I am really happy to enter the community.

Just wanted to talk about the build quality of this kit and the finish of the printed parts.

All 3d printed parts sport the new surface which really looks incredibly - which from my understanding could be seen on the LCD screen holder first ealier. The spool holder and PSU shield are not 3D printed but injected parts. Just like Tom showed off in the latest MM videos. Sadly, there is no spatula included in my box. That was obviously a special for Tom (or maybe the prebuild MK2s). So far, whish me fun and luck with build 😀

Best regards,
stahlfabrik

Posted : 19/09/2017 9:49 pm
henrik.w
(@henrik-w)
Estimable Member
Re: Current state of MK2s kit (2017/09)

Hello Stahlfabrik!

Congrats to the future builder of the kit! You will have many hours of joy in front of you. The build instructions are great and I would recommend to take it in a slow pace and not try to break some build record. Try to think a few minutes of what is important before each chapter and object that is to be built. You will have that to your favour when the kit is completed. For me it took eight hours just to build the y-frame and I measured, measured and adjusted several times over and over again - well it could just have taken three hours, but I wanted to be sure that everything was alright before going to the next step. And it takes some time to get used to all parts - how they look as well as how they are used in the printer. The result? Well the y-frame is square and nearly perfect - the printed objects differ just by 0.1 mm in y-axis when printing circular ones. This small difference could just be the layers shifting a small amount
It took circa 40 hours to build the complete kit for me. The cable management is well spent time to think and test that the wires move smooth without putting too much strain to the wires. The strain may otherwise break or pull the cables out of the loom.

One last thing - I would recommend tightening the screws as per the picture - then you can feel the force put into it and there is less risk of over tightening the parts.

Good luck with the build!

/Henrik

Posted : 20/09/2017 9:15 am
stahlfabrik
(@stahlfabrik)
Honorable Member
Topic starter answered:

Hello henrik.w,

thank you very much for the kind words and some awesome advice!

I will take my time - I justified the purchase also with the joy I would get from the build. Like a big Lego set that is 300 bucks: the most fun I get from the building time with such kits. Of course: using the Prusa will be awesome again and again:-)

So I spend yesterday evening unpacking, reading the introduction, cherishing the smell, and look and feel of the parts. It is just awesome. Then it was time to go to sleep. I expect not to finish it before Sunday evening. Maybe that is even to optimistic.

Regarding the current state of the kit I forgot to mention that the extruder assembly sports the PINDA probe version that use only one screw - which was first seen on the MM update for established MK2(s) users.

Kind regards,
Stahlfabrik

Posted : 20/09/2017 11:15 am
Mike Aldrich
(@mike-aldrich)

Hi Everyone,

I also bought the MK2S kit and finished mine in about 5-6 hours of work. Mine turned out perfect. I had no issues with the build. My calibrations came out good. I'm going to do some fine tuning tonight and hope to have to where I want it.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the build. I did not expect it to be as easy as it was. I expected to have production issues with quality as you would normally get from a product. There were a couple nut housings that needed to be cleared out before it would fit but nothing major.

So thumbs up to all the designing that went into the product and the instructions. I liked that the online version had comments for each step. It answered a few questions itself. My only suggestion to anyone building their kit is to read the entire step before starting that step. Some had the warnings at the bottom after the action was already taken.

I had a good experience with it and am looking forward to printing stuff after I print the spare parts. 🙂

Posted : 21/09/2017 12:33 am
mark.a6
(@mark-a6)

Hi everyone,
I just recently built a mk2s also it was fun to put together there were a couple of hickups however i had to buy a tap and die set, some of the printed parts warped a little so i had to retap a couple of the holes for the hotend fan also one of my u-bolt's had thread on only one end. Calibrating it was really hard but with some help from the forum here i managed to figure out what was wrong now i seem to be able to print quite well all the time and have started trying abs which is really hard to get a good first layer i found. But overall its been quite an enjoyable experience especially now that its working

Posted : 22/09/2017 5:20 am
Share: