Notifications
Clear all

Filamentum CPE HG100 Catching and knocking print off  

RSS
Shaughn
(@shaughn)
Filamentum CPE HG100 Catching and knocking print off

Hi all,

I built this machine (MK3S) in early August. Initial calibration etc. went without a hitch and early grey PLA prints were pin sharp.

I changed to a PETG Carbon which took a while to dial in but eventually had nice results. The next I tried was the Filamentum CPE HG100. Hit and miss right from the start. We have just moved house and now it’s basically all “miss”. 

I did track down a layer shift issue to the x pulley where the set screw had slipped off the flat. I am using Prusaslicer and the defaults for that filament, although I upped the temperature 10° for the last attempt due to the hardened steel nozzle. Same issue. I managed to get a tiny test print to completion on the second go last night by upping the z offset once the first layer was down but that didn’t work for the most recent attempt. 

I would try a brass nozzle except they’re currently nowhere to be seen after the move.  Seems that the filament is globbing on the nozzle and knocking the print off even though the first layers are pretty well adhered.

This is driving me to distraction knowing how good this machine can be. Plus I’ve got tools I need to print to help me finish installing the kitchen and my very patient wife is growing pursed lips.....

Opublikowany : 08/11/2020 6:45 am
Shaughn
(@shaughn)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Filamentum CPE HG100 Catching and knocking print off

In addition to the above, belt tension is within limits, everything seems snug, calibration returns a “perpendicular”.

I have dried the filament a couple of times in a little oven for many hours (not the same oven that I wrecked the PLA and PETG carbon spools in 😕). 

I was having the same issues with a generic PETG sourced locally, not sure about the quality of that one. Wish to try and reduce the number of variables and just concentrate on getting this Filamentum right for now. 

Opublikowany : 08/11/2020 6:51 am
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

it's possible you have a partially clogged nozzle, have you tried doing a few cold pulls with cleaning filament?

The Filament Whisperer

Opublikowany : 08/11/2020 7:33 am
Shaughn
(@shaughn)
Topic starter answered:

Many thanks Dan.

I have tried one cold pull. Will have another few tries. I did notice the filament seemed a little “inconsistent” during the first layer calibration earlier. 
Any tips with using the hardened steel nozzle with this stuff? I’ve read posts saying increase it 10°.

Opublikowany : 08/11/2020 8:00 am
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@shogundxb

I always print CPE-HG100 with a normal brass nozzle (0.4):
temp.: 260/90
extr.multiple.: 1
fan: 30-50%
retr.: 0.6
z-hop: 0.2
max.vol.speed: 15 mm3/s

If you want to use a steel nozzle (?), then I would go at least 10 to 15 degrees higher with the temp.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Opublikowany : 08/11/2020 12:07 pm
Laura F Farrell
(@laura-f-farrell)
Trusted Member

I would second the suggestion to increase temperatures on non brass nozzles - many filaments very sensitive to this. Increase in 5c increments and tell us how you get on

Opublikowany : 08/11/2020 2:35 pm
Shaughn
(@shaughn)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks Dan, Karl-Herbert and Laura. 🙂

I did find the original brass nozzle, which went back in after a thorough clean.

The main thing was, I’m pretty sure, the z offset.  As a new boy I find the Prusa first layer calibration a bit quick and simple. What was really helpful for me, and I was unable to return and find who went to the trouble of uploading it, was a video on first layer calibration using a 75mm square and watching carefully as your adjustments take effect. The Prusa version all happens out of sight under the print head.  Anyway this was enlightening to me. 

So I have a print now that’s 8 hours in and looks spot on (I would have replied earlier but didn’t wish to jinx it). Using the cheap natural PETG too so that’s good news. I couldn’t find the nozzle brush so I cleaned my nozzle using judicious application of a small propane torch (out of the machine of course 😬) over the sink. This worked really well, not sure of this is a sanctioned technique but so far seems to be working. 

Again, thanks for the help.

Opublikowany : 08/11/2020 8:28 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@shogundxb

I am glad for you! Would you post a photo? What material did you use (CPE-HG100)?

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Opublikowany : 08/11/2020 9:55 pm
Shaughn
(@shaughn)
Topic starter answered:

Sorry about the delay you two.  This was a PETG curtain rod end pair that worked really well and has seen virtually daily use for a few months now:

This second pic is of a dowel jig (natural PETG), bike tyre lever (black PETG - both PETG rolls were eSun3D) and pocket hole jig (pink PLA).

Opublikowany : 15/02/2021 4:19 pm
Share: