Notifications
Clear all

120mm x 80mm - Object Warping?  

RSS
mressler
(@mressler)
120mm x 80mm - Object Warping?

Hey Prusa Printing Experts!

Really looking forward to printing this for myself and gifting one to everyone in the company (will take quite some time)! But my first print was a failure. Thought I'd post here for any advice and I'll follow up later with my future prints. Here's the baseball bat holder with my name and title that I'll be printing:

Bat Holder

But my first print had a lot of warping:

Warping on bottom left.

The warping may have led to a bad left side of the print?

Bad left side

But the right side looked a little messed up too:

Bad right side

But the middle seemed to be OK:

Middle was OK

Currently planning on adding a brim to keep from warping. I did a thorough clean with 91% isopropyl while wearing nitrile gloves so I don't mess it up. It's as clean as I can get it. I'll be jumping into another print now. Fingers crossed!

Posted : 24/04/2021 7:17 pm
Lize
 Lize
(@lize)
Estimable Member
RE: 120mm x 80mm - Object Warping?

I don't think your problem is cleanliness but a quick note about cleaning, alcohol isn't actually very effective to remove grease and the sheets benefit from a good wash with hot water and dish soap and then dry off with paper towels.  The alcohol is good for prints between washes.  You're certainly dedicated using nitrile gloves but unnecessary if you just hold the sheet by the edges outside of the print area.

Regarding the warping, large flat pieces can be difficult to print, if you zip up your slicer 3mf file and upload it then forum members will be able to check the settings for you.  Note it has to be zipped or the forum doesn't accept the file type.

The bottom layer of a print is crucial to ensure bed adhesion and print quality throughout the layers.  Its difficult yo say but some sections of the photo look to have ripples in the top which may have been continued through the print from a bad first layer as well as causing bad adhesion.  I'd double check your live-z setting, if its ripply then its too low.

In order to get a good live-z have a look at this thread and print a sample square and make some adjustments, you can upload a photo and we will be able to help with that:
life-adjust-z-my-way

Posted : 24/04/2021 8:09 pm
mressler liked
Lize
 Lize
(@lize)
Estimable Member

I've just adjusted my live-z for a new filament and realised what I put earlier -  I should have said needs to be lower, it might be too high.

Posted : 24/04/2021 8:20 pm
mressler liked
mressler
(@mressler)
Topic starter answered:

@lize

Hot water and soap, roger that! Thanks! I thought I had read alcohol was the way to go in the starter book. I'll give it a wash after this print finishes.

This print looks good so far. The brim and cleaning may have helped any non-optimal live-z tuning. I'll post those pics of the tuning after.

I ran out of white, so I'm printing in black this time around. Here's hoping!

Posted : 24/04/2021 9:00 pm
ssill2
(@ssill2)
Noble Member

What are you using for an adhesive?  I didn't see in your post what the material was, PLA?  PETG?

As Lize pointed out, large flat rectangles are surprisingly hard to print without warping.  If the brim doesn't work, you can try printing your model so that less of that large flat surface is on the bed.  maybe on one of the sides.

Posted : 24/04/2021 9:04 pm
mressler liked
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @mressler

Hey Prusa Printing Experts!

Really looking forward to printing this for myself and gifting one to everyone in the company (will take quite some time)! But my first print was a failure. Thought I'd post here for any advice and I'll follow up later with my future prints. Here's the baseball bat holder with my name and title that I'll be printing:

But my first print had a lot of warping:

The warping may have led to a bad left side of the print?

But the right side looked a little messed up too:

But the middle seemed to be OK:

Currently planning on adding a brim to keep from warping. I did a thorough clean with 91% isopropyl while wearing nitrile gloves so I don't mess it up. It's as clean as I can get it. I'll be jumping into another print now. Fingers crossed!

What filament did you use to print this?

The problem occurs because the temperature differences between layers of extruded plastic are too big. If you could keep the whole 3D printed model at the exact same temperature at all times, not even a tiny corner of the model would try to warp. That's nearly impossible with the MK3.

What can we do?

- Increase bedtemp., decrease nozzletemp.

- Use an enclose (Protection from drafts, stable ambient temperature)

- decrease nozzle cooling

- set infill to 10-20%

- use adhesives (magigoo, 3DLac or similar...)

- use brim, skirt, raft, draftshield...

- print with slower speed

- use mouseears on the corners

try this.

good luck 👍 

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 24/04/2021 9:27 pm
mressler liked
mressler
(@mressler)
Topic starter answered:

@karl-herbert

Thanks! Printing this with PLA.

Infill is set to 20% and I'm now printing with a 5mm brim. Everything looks good so far, I'll share the result.

Ill also post the gcode (zipped) for any pointers you all may have. How do you review the gcode files? Prusa slicer?

Posted : 24/04/2021 10:47 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Hi Mike, 
what is the bottom of the print like? 
Are you using PLA? 
For good adhesion with PLA, you need a clean build plate, a good live 'Z' setting, and  the right heat bed temperature. 

I use 70C on the heatbed... 

I wash the build plate with hot water and soap and rinse then dry immediately with paper towels 
then use life adjust Z my way...  to set the first layer... and get good adhesion, then I use 70C on the bed

https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-assembly-and-first-prints-troubleshooting/life-adjust-z-my-way/

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 24/04/2021 10:49 pm
mressler liked
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@mressler

The latest version of PrusaSlicer includes a gcode viewer. With it, you can open any gcode and view the result. There are several options for uploading: either the gcode, an STL or a 3mf file. 3mf contains all data (incl. profile and STL). Whatever you upload - send compressed zip over "add media".

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 24/04/2021 11:36 pm
mressler liked
mressler
(@mressler)
Topic starter answered:

This print turned out great! Now I've got to paint the letters.

Second Print

As promised, attached is the gcode: BatHolderMulti v6_0.2mm_PLA_MK3S_8h31m.gcode.

Posted : 25/04/2021 4:00 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

Do test that print for strength. If the bats are hanging, the weight will be along the weakest axis of the print - the part printed vertically. Prints tend to break along layer lines.

• Adding perimeters can add strength.
  • Adding a fillet between the vertical and horizontal panels can help distribute the load.
  • Consider printing with the name panel vertical and using a drop-in panel for the text. You can also do a filament change on the name text that way.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 25/04/2021 4:13 am
mressler liked
mressler
(@mressler)
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

Good thoughts. I'll be hanging it from the wall later on today. The bats don't weigh that much, so I'm not too worried. Testing by hand is likely sufficient.

I did fillet all edges, including the edges between the nameplate and the hanger. Hopefully that helps!

That's a really clever idea to use a drop in panel for the text. I might give that a try!

Posted : 25/04/2021 12:54 pm
mressler
(@mressler)
Topic starter answered:

Prusa Crew,

I thought I'd give you the payoff at the end of the printing struggles:

Great with pain!

It looks great! I painted it with Sharpie Oil-Based Paints. And I am very pleased with how it turned out!

Thanks for your assistance and pointers.

Posted : 27/04/2021 1:33 am
ssill2
(@ssill2)
Noble Member

@mressler

Looks great!  I use those same oil-based paint pens and they work wonderfully.  Great job!

Posted : 27/04/2021 1:34 am
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@mressler

Turned out very nice 👍 ...and may the baseball bats hang restfully 😊 

Posted : 27/04/2021 9:33 am
Share: