No problems with silver PSU on 120V, want to add LED lights, should I upgrade?

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
kirby
(@kirby)
Trusted Member

I've been running an MK3 with the silver PSU on 120V in the US for about a year, only a few long prints, but luckily the PSU has never ticked or rattled. Almost the whole time, I've had an RPI 3B+ powered from PSU using 24V->5V step-down (the HobbyWing one a lot of PI folks use), providing power thru the DC jack on the PI. 

I'm at the point where I want to mount some LED light strips, and was thinking I'd power them from the 24V PSU output as well. The light strips should end up using no more than about 1.5A at 24V. So, should I upgrade? From what I can tell, the PSU is at its max during initial bed heatup, and may not have overhead for another 24-36W. I'm comfortable with doing the swap myself and moving the power panic to an after market supply or just leaving it off entirely

Given the reading here and parts on ThingVerse, looking at either the Meanwell LRS-350-24 or RPS-320-24. $100+shipping for the 240W Delta PSU from Prusa seems like a bad deal to me. I've used MeanWell supplies for other projects. Has anyone compared the fan noise between these two? I'm concerned mostly with noise while idle and noise while printing. If they're loud during initial bed heatup, that would be ok.  Is there another recommended supply that is quieter, maybe Delta or some other PSU 3D printer folks like?

Finally, if I do upgrade, is there an advantage to mounting the PSU "on top" of the aluminum like the Silver PSU or "on side" like the MK3S black PSU?

Posted : 18/07/2019 3:16 pm
Dave Avery
(@dave-avery)
Honorable Member
RE: No problems with silver PSU on 120V, want to add LED lights, should I upgrade?

meanwells only run the fan when needed it's off probably 90% of the time

Posted : 18/07/2019 4:07 pm
kirby liked
kirby
(@kirby)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:
RE: No problems with silver PSU on 120V, want to add LED lights, should I upgrade?
Posted by: david.a66

meanwells only run the fan when needed it's off probably 90% of the time

I hoped that was true of both the LRS and RSP lines, but I wasn't sure. I just dug into the specs on Meanwell's site (ya, should have done that before I initially posted) and it looks like the LRS has fan on/off controlled by temp (Fan on >=50C, fan turns off <=40C). The RSP has "fan speed control function", which I assume means variable fan speed. 

Can anyone with the RSP comment if the fan is on all the time, even at no/low load? Is it loud while printing (post initial heating)?

Posted : 18/07/2019 4:27 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

For me it's running 50% and depends on the load. I can hear it very clearly and it shuts off and turns on all the time, kind of annoying. MK3 can run very silent, so any other additional bigger fan is clearly noticeable.

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 18/07/2019 6:07 pm
kirby
(@kirby)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: nikolai.r

For me it's running 50% and depends on the load. I can hear it very clearly and it shuts off and turns on all the time, kind of annoying. MK3 can run very silent, so any other additional bigger fan is clearly noticeable.

Could I have some more detail?
-Which PSU? The RSP, NES, or LRS?
- Does "running 50%" mean "fan running at half speed while printer is idle" or "fan runs about half of the time"? 

Posted : 18/07/2019 7:05 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

NES-350-12 12V 350. 

Fan has only one speed setting. Like mentioned on/off, about half of the time.

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 18/07/2019 7:45 pm
kirby
(@kirby)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Ok, I ended up ordering an LRS-350-24, plenty of mounting brackets for it on thingverse and if the fan is too loud I can always replace it.

Posted : 19/07/2019 9:34 pm
kirby
(@kirby)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Update:

I finally did this swap on my MK3. I used: 

The new PSU fan is a bit loud when it turns on, I'll be looking at changing out the fan, apparently even the 24V model uses a 12V fan.

Posted : 25/12/2019 1:33 am
Share: