Notifications
Clear all

$250AUD IMPORT DUTY???  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Duty taxes

Duty or import taxes are becoming more common.  I guess it is a way to encourage you to buy the native products in a more global economy.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 24/08/2021 10:09 am
Not needed
(@not-needed)
Re: $250AUD IMPORT DUTY???

Yup, I got stung $260 when mine arrived May 2021. I bought the Mk3s kit, the textured steel plate and an extra roll of filament. You can thank Gerry Harvey for campaigning to slap personal imports with as much tax as possible. If you sent a message through to PRUSA, it appears they haven't acted on it.

Posted : 08/09/2021 6:27 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Notify

I am not sure Prusa can do much except notify purchasers.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 09/09/2021 12:09 am
IPIND 3D
(@ipind-3d)
Estimable Member
Prusa are transparent about additional charges at the customer's end
Posted by: @not-needed

Yup, I got stung $260 when mine arrived May 2021. I bought the Mk3s kit, the textured steel plate and an extra roll of filament. You can thank Gerry Harvey for campaigning to slap personal imports with as much tax as possible. If you sent a message through to PRUSA, it appears they haven't acted on it.

I'm not sure what you're getting at? What message did you send to Prusa?

Prusa don't hide the fact that there will be GST and/or duty on your purchase.

It's very clear at the checkout and there is a link to a table with the average additional costs for each country. Unfortunately, the figures in the table excludes the $88 Customs processing fee.

For us Aussies, I've said it before a number of times in this thread and others - save yourself about $200 on a Mk3s+ Kit by paying for your order in Polish Zloty or Czech Koruna.

Do all your Prusa orders in one of these currencies because the AUD kills them on the exchange rates, whereas we get slammed by the EUR, GBP and USD. The flow on is it reduces the GST and duty you will pay too. Sometimes it will get you under the $1000 AUD duty threshold.

Posted : 09/09/2021 5:40 am
Andori liked
Not needed
(@not-needed)
Easy there mate!

The OP mentioned they were going to send a message to Prusa about getting the shipping cost stated so that DHL didn't use a default value. This was the comment I was referring to. No need to take it personally there friend.

For my part, I do enough shipments at work to know I was going to get stung.

Posted : 09/09/2021 7:43 am
Andori
(@andori)
Using Different Currencies
Posted by: @morphias

For us Aussies, I've said it before a number of times in this thread and others - save yourself about $200 on a Mk3s+ Kit by paying for your order in Polish Zloty or Czech Koruna.

Do all your Prusa orders in one of these currencies because the AUD kills them on the exchange rates, whereas we get slammed by the EUR, GBP and USD. The flow on is it reduces the GST and duty you will pay too. Sometimes it will get you under the $1000 AUD duty threshold.

Having seen this, I reckon I saved about £56 importing a MK3S+ Kit (with both sheets) to the UK and paying in Polish Zloty after comparing all available currencies at the time, even allowing for 2.75% credit card foreign currency fee.

I fully expected the import fees, which for me were £12.75 FedEx handling fee and £108.12 VAT (at 20%).  By initially paying in Polish Zloty and lowering the unit cost, this also lowered the VAT charge.

Posted : 08/10/2021 9:51 am
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member
RE: AnPost small time scam

On a much smaller scale the Irish Post Office, AnPost, have a nice little scam going. Even on packages attracting 0 euro Excise Duty and 0 euro Import duty (the item was on 7.97euro) they wont deliver until you pay a handling fee of 3.50euro and just to put the tin hat on it they apply VAT. So I paid nearly twice as much as I expected for a tablet cover - that didn't fit anyway. Wish I'd gone with my first thought which was to cut my nose to spite my face, and told An bloody Post to bite me.

This post was modified 3 years ago by towlerg
Posted : 08/10/2021 12:14 pm
rebelgnome
(@rebelgnome)
RE: $250AUD IMPORT DUTY???

$505 they're hitting me for the SL1S kit. Australian Government Scam... we pay a tax on good and services even if they're not from AU... Govt. loading.

It would be good however if Prusa had a big notice of warning for those of us purchasing from Australia. WATCH OUT - AUST GOVT WILL ADD A BIG FEE

Posted : 01/12/2023 1:50 am
Page 3 / 3
Share: