Clear all

MK2 bottom of print not 100% flat  

RSS
luc.e
(@luc-e)
Eminent Member
MK2 bottom of print not 100% flat

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone else has this issue but as you can see from the picture below I have 2 bumps in the bottom of the print where the screws are to fix the heat bed. I'm sure I'm not alone with this and would suggest a design change for next release of the heat bed to avoid these screw holes dents. I will try to flatten out the surface with a suction cup and report back if I was able to flatten the PEI sheet.

Napsal : 04/07/2016 3:06 pm
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator
Re: MK2 bottom of print not 100% flat

Hi Luc

I have not seen that mentioned on here and it is not something I have noticed with my printer. But as you say, you are unlikely to have happen to you alone.

I guess Josef will see your post and maybe find an alternative.

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Napsal : 04/07/2016 4:25 pm
luc.e
(@luc-e)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reaction.
If nobody else has this I think it might have been me being a bit to enthusiastic in cleaning the PEI surface and pushed down to hard the PEI there where the screws sit. Aligning the top of the screws with the top of the bed could prevent this from happening. I used a suction cup to un-dent the PEI sheet and it seemed to have worked. Still see some light traces of the dents but I can live with this. If I want a 100% clean bottom on a print I move it away from this area in the slicer.

Napsal : 05/07/2016 9:29 am
David T.
(@david-t)
Noble Member

As I can see from your picture, I think your first layer is a bit too low, which might make more highlight to this issue. Try to raise first layer a little bit up so extruded filament don't put that much pressure on the bed.

Napsal : 05/07/2016 10:00 am
martorias
(@martorias)
Eminent Member

Hi. I also noticed I have this issue - the two screws in the middle generated small bumps on the bottom of a print. It's not really a big issue but you're not alone.

Napsal : 05/07/2016 11:57 am
damian.d
(@damian-d)
Trusted Member

I get the same marks on my prints, and they're more apparent when I raise the temperature on the heated bed. Not sure why the 2 screws weren't just covered with something before the PEI was put down to keep the area above the screws from sagging.

Napsal : 05/07/2016 2:20 pm
richard.l
(@richard-l)
Member Moderator

Interesting, I don't get the bumps but I do get the grid lines. They are very smooth but you can see them.

Napsal : 05/07/2016 5:57 pm
martorias
(@martorias)
Eminent Member

I get the same marks on my prints, and they're more apparent when I raise the temperature on the heated bed. Not sure why the 2 screws weren't just covered with something before the PEI was put down to keep the area above the screws from sagging.

This might be the reason for me as well, temperature. Can't remember it happening when printing pla but when doing ABS at 105c I get bumps.

Napsal : 06/07/2016 8:57 am
luc.e
(@luc-e)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Good and sad to read I'm not alone.
To david.t2: I know the first layer is a bit thick but this was the only way I could get the ABS from not warping. I didn't have that issue with the old model and I don't want to apply ABS juice on the PEI plate as I think it would be very difficult to remove it. I will abandon ABS and move on to PET like a lot of PEI bed users.

Napsal : 06/07/2016 10:48 am
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

Kapton tape is available with a width of 200mm.

This can be used on top of the PEI and then ABS Juice on that. Reasonably easy to remove and could also prevent the bumps in the bottom.

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Napsal : 06/07/2016 11:43 am
Share: