Notifications
Clear all

Strange issue after recalibrating  

  RSS
Mike
 Mike
(@mike-35)
Eminent Member
Strange issue after recalibrating

I recently re-ran the xyz calibration. I used the live adjust 75x75 square that jeffjordan posted. I have used it several times and it works great. I can get a nice solid surface, then with my calipers confirm it is exactly 0.2 mm thick. Usually after this process my prints work great.

Recently though, the first layer has been spotty. If I let it go the print usually works out but the bottom is clearly not right. Its as though its either making the lines too far apart, or not extruding enough. So I did another re-calibration, and did the square, and it looked great. Started a print, and the bottom layer is still wrong. I got suspicious of Slic3er PE, since the 75x75 square comes as an already prepared gcode from simplify3d. So I went to tinkercad and made a 75x75x0.2 stl, and sliced it in Slic3r PE using the default settings for my printer from a fresh install from the website. Same bad result, which seems to confirm my suspicion the its a slicing issue, rather than a printer problem.

I see that jeffjordan still has the v4 version up there, so I may try that, but was wondering if anybody knew where I should start looking to get this sorted out.

I really want to get it working better before I get my 2.5 kit, I want the prints for the upgrade parts to go as well as possible.

Posted : 10/04/2018 3:35 pm
Mike
 Mike
(@mike-35)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:
Re: Strange issue after recalibrating

note- i also posted this in jeffjordans thread, i tried to delete this one, but it wont let me.

Well, I think I found it. The latest version of the prusa driver sets the gcode flavour to marlin. Every version before, and the version available from the prusa pe github page have it set to reprap.

I had decided to try runnig my self made square to see how close i needed to get, thinking i bumped the probe or something. Got it all the way down to -700 (it had previously been at -635 when it was working fine) before i noticed. Set it back to reprap, resliced, sent to printer at -635, and a perfect 0.2 layer.

Just uninstalled prusa software, manually deleted folders and reinstalled to confirm, still showing set to marlin..

Weird. Can anyone else confirm?

Posted : 11/04/2018 2:36 am
mike.m9
(@mike-m9)
Eminent Member
Re: Strange issue after recalibrating

i checked in slic3r settings on my mac and it's indeed set to marlin. i just downloaded it last night as i just switched from a wanhao to the mk2s. based on your post, should it be set to reprap (it appears so based on github version, etc)? i havent actually printed anything as i'm fighting with an XYZ calibration error about the right point not being able to be reached. then i get a skew message telling me i'll be okay. driving me nuts. 🙂

hope that helps..

Posted : 12/04/2018 11:38 am
Mike
 Mike
(@mike-35)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:
Re: Strange issue after recalibrating

Thanks for checking Mike,

I'm far from an expert when it come to gcode flavors and what one is better or more right. From what I can tell, marlin worked, but it gave different results then with reprap, which from what I can tell from previous config files is what it had been set to before. If I'm right, my issues were all based on the slicing process, and whatever gcode slic3r pe spit out. My printer just interpreted the codes, which gave different z axis results (strangely the x and y axis seemed fine, ive done several prints since the last version and no problems other than a not awesome first layer). I would suggest caution if changing the gcode flavour since there is a chance the difference in how your printer interprets the gcode could result in the nozzle getting too close to the bed.

Again, far from an expert when it comes to the internal workings of the gcode and different flavours, so if someone has more insight I'm all ears.

Posted : 12/04/2018 4:50 pm
Share: