Notifications
Clear all

PETG temp tower looks best at 220 - really?  

RSS
knarp
(@knarp)
PETG temp tower looks best at 220 - really?

Hi!

After good success with PLA I've tried some Prusament PETG with PrusaSlicer's PETG defaults (250°) and I've experienced pretty significant stringing. I decided to take a look at the temperature settings and printed a temperature tower from the gcode provided and the result is shown below. To me, it looks like 220 looks best! Not to complain that it looks good but it is very far from the recommended temp on the spool (250 +/-10). Should I just ignore that and go on printing at 220? Any other parameters I should tune instead and how?

thanks!

temp tower

Napsal : 29/04/2022 7:14 pm
fuchsr
(@fuchsr)
Famed Member
RE:

Feels a bit on the low side but not impossible. If the temp tower feels solid at that temperature, I'd go for it. On the other hand, Prusament has been pretty consistent for me and printing fine with default settings. Maybe dry it.

EDIT: Your picture only shows as a "broken" icon for me.

Napsal : 30/04/2022 11:10 am
mark
 mark
(@mark-3)
Reputable Member
RE:

I'd agree, Dry the filament first. Then start messing with settings. A test tower is not the final word. It is somewhat of a contrived test and optimizing for it may result in other print quality issues. For example, you can tweak retractions to reduce stringing, but as a result the top surface may look like crap. Drying filament always improves things. Printing too cold may result in poor layer adhesion. I tend to print on the hot side and always dry my filament in a dehydrator for hours before using it. A few thin strings can be scraped off or shrunk with a heat gun.

You can upload images directly to the forum, rather than linking to google. You have it such that most don't have permission to view. Also, if you leave google, or google changes policies, they will be lost forever. If they are uploaded to the forum, they last as long as the text. Just click the "add media" button, upload and "insert into post".

Regards,

Mark

Napsal : 30/04/2022 2:57 pm
knarp
(@knarp)
Topic starter answered:
RE: PETG temp tower looks best at 220 - really?

Hi,

thanks for your replies! I've added the picture directly to the post, see below.

I don't think drying the filament would help, it is literally brand new. I opened the package the day before and had the stringing issues immediately on the first print. 

I know PETG is a bit prone to stringing and yes it is possible to clean up the print - maybe I'm just spoiled by flawless PLA prints?

Napsal : 30/04/2022 5:53 pm
fuchsr
(@fuchsr)
Famed Member
RE:

My money is still on damp filament. I did a lot of printing with prusament neon green last year, and it looked a bit liked this unless I tried it overnight. After six or seven hours printing it was back to baaaaadddd. I ended up printing directly from a dry box. 

Napsal : 30/04/2022 6:00 pm
Share: