Notifications
Clear all

M112 called Emergency Stop - is it octoprint - Pi Zero ?  

RSS
mgtarallo
(@mgtarallo)
Trusted Member
M112 called Emergency Stop - is it octoprint - Pi Zero ?

So - all of a sudden out of nowhere - my print stops and I get this message on the LCD:

M112 called Emergency Stop

Now note yjay I just printed the same 11hr print the night before and it completes successfully. 

It is odd that it just occurred our of nowhere - I just simply print from the SD card - BUT I had this Pi Zero module installed:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pi-Zero-W-16gb-SD-WiFi-OctoPi-OctoPrint-Prusa-MK3-MK3S-Upgrade-Plug-and-play/154003571666

It has been installed since September and has been working fine - I had Octovox ( https://plugins.octoprint.org/plugins/octovox/) also so I can check on my print status anywhere using Alexa - it worked as expected. 

I read somewhere that Octoprint could be causing this, so to troubleshoot - I uninstalled the Pi Zero module. upgraded to the latest firmware and started my print again. I will update this post after a few prints.

If you guys know anything that will be helpful.

Thanks

Mike

Posted : 09/01/2021 8:54 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: M112 called Emergency Stop - is it octoprint - Pi Zero ?

Try the print again and monitor the serial console via OctoPrint. If you're lucky, you'll be able to see a message from the printer.

Fun & games: Long command lines can cause a similar problem. See if anything is sending a very long command. I found that long filenames that were being sent by Octoprint would crash my Mk3. I take care to use shorter names now.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 09/01/2021 9:30 pm
mgtarallo liked
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @mgtarallo

Some have problems of this kind even when using special characters or mutated vowels in the file name. For the Mini, I would recommend using the latest firmwaare original Prusa Mini firmware download.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 09/01/2021 10:43 pm
mgtarallo liked
mgtarallo
(@mgtarallo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Thank you all - very helpful

Posted : 09/01/2021 11:19 pm
mgtarallo
(@mgtarallo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

UPDATE: So after removing the Pi Zero and updating the firmware - the print still failed (the same print that succeeded the night before) - the error message on the screen this time was:

MINTEMP BED fixes - Please restart

This is my 2nd Prusa machine - I  HAD THE SAME ISSUE ON MY FIRST ONE and needed to replace the thermistor.

Is this a known issue? - Same exact problem on the same model only after so many prints.

The thermistor looks fine - the wire is not broken or kinked.

I just started the same GCODE on my other printer - (the one that I fixed awhile ago) - so let's see what happens.

It is safe to say that I don't think the Pi Zero and Octoprint had anything to do with the issue and I think some hardware is failing.

Posted : 10/01/2021 5:31 am
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

This has been said numerous times but is worth repeating, although many people use a Pi Zero (mainly I suspect because of the outdated instructions for Mk3/Octoprint) and are quite happy, the Pi Zero is most definitely officially unapproved (is that even a word?). The Pi Zero is no longer fit for purpose.

Posted : 10/01/2021 9:31 am
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

This has been said numerous times but is worth repeating, although many people use a Pi Zero (mainly I suspect because of the outdated instructions for Mk3/Octoprint) and are quite happy, the Pi Zero is most definitely officially unapproved (is that even a word?). The Pi Zero is no longer fit for purpose.

Posted : 10/01/2021 9:31 am
bobstro liked
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

If I understand it correctly, the M112 is now gone and instead you now have problems with the Mintemp error?

In which environment do you print? Cold or maybe draught?

https://help.prusa3d.com/en/article/mintemp-and-mintemp-bed_2169

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 10/01/2021 12:29 pm
mgtarallo
(@mgtarallo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Thanks for the reply all -

@karl - temp is a bit cooler in Florida this week - workshop is been around 65-70 degrees F - but the same printer next to it is running just fine. I posted the update before I went to bed - and started the print on the other printer and it is still going. I am going to test the thermistor with a meter / factory reset / calibrate and test again - I just find it hard to believe that this thermistor failed - but you never know. I will update.

Posted : 10/01/2021 12:40 pm
mgtarallo
(@mgtarallo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

OK I so I tested the ohms - it reads 114-120 when the bed is up front - but as I slowly push the bed towards the rear - it drops to 0 or shoots about 2M - if I raise the cable while the bed is toward the back it goes back to 114-120 - how in the world does this happen - apparently there are fine breaks in the strands and the sheathing is not protecting the cable? Just does not make sense to me how something like this can break if they are using a supposedly flexible wire. I have extra thermistors - I will replace and report back. I will also contact prusa again.

Posted : 10/01/2021 1:41 pm
mgtarallo
(@mgtarallo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

OK so replaced the bed thermistor - I will report back IF something goes wrong - this is weird how it started with M112 called Emergency Stop error and then a MINTEMP BED fixed - Please restart - which stopped the print at the exact same spot -searching on M112 brought me to the Octoprint suspicion - but it is safe to say that it does not seem like it was that.

luckily I bought extra thermistors - I just find it so odd for this part to break so often - I wish they would do something to fix it.

This post was modified 3 years ago by mgtarallo
Posted : 10/01/2021 4:21 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@mgtarallo

I have also had problems with broken cables. For this reason, I decided to replace the moving part of the cable harness with flexible silicone cable. I simply inter-soldered the silicone cable in this area.

Posted : 10/01/2021 5:42 pm
MacLakey
(@maclakey)
Silicone Cables?

@karl-herbert

Please tell me more about this silicone cable?  I'm having this issue now for the second time.  solved it the first time by just soldering the break, but I would like a more permanent solution.

Posted : 22/07/2021 6:00 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
Flexible Silicone cables

Flexible silicone cables have higher conductor count than other cables.     
regular cables have 7 thick conductors  in the cable, 
Prusa Heatbed cables have 21 thinner conductors, 
the same gauge Flexible silicone wire has 252 very thin conductors in the cable

thinner conductors are more flexible than thicker conductors.

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 22/07/2021 6:54 pm
MacLakey liked
MacLakey
(@maclakey)
Silicone wires

I was confused!  I thought we were talking about the thermistor cable, which is 28 AWG... I think you're taking about the power cables.

Posted by: @joantabb

Flexible silicone cables have higher conductor count than other cables.     
regular cables have 7 thick conductors  in the cable, 
Prusa Heatbed cables have 21 thinner conductors, 
the same gauge Flexible silicone wire has 252 very thin conductors in the cable

thinner conductors are more flexible than thicker conductors.

regards Joan

Posted : 22/07/2021 8:14 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
more wire info

if you wish to change the thermistor wires, I would use 24AWG,  
I have a number of colours in 24AWG. these can repair thermistor, motor, pinda and filament sensor wires... 
and as luck would have it, my filament sensor wires have gone faulty today... it is probable that only one wire has fractured, but I will replace all three on the presumption that all three have had similar flexing, and so all will be similarly fatigued, and I have no particular wish to take the wiring loom apart again, soon. 

whilst I am re assembling the cable bundle, i will move the other cables a little, to move the stress point in the hopes of prolonging their lives... 

your preferences may vary. 

Note, I only make joints on static sections of the wiring not the flexing parts.  A better solution would be to crimp new connections on the ends, but I don't have the equipment to do that

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 22/07/2021 10:16 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
Silicone wires

Silicone wires are available in many sizes. I have been buying my wires from Lappkabel for many years. They are very high quality and durable because they are made of very fine uncoated copper wires. Of course there are other distributors such as Amazon.

wbr,

Karl

Posted : 23/07/2021 4:14 am
MacLakey liked
Share: