Notifications
Clear all

ESP8266MOD Wifi?  

RSS
Oxize
(@oxize)
Eminent Member
ESP8266MOD Wifi?

Anyone already tried to hooking up an NodeMCU to their Prusa to make Wifi working, since Jozef promised this us already 2 years back.

Think you only need a voltage regulator, the below stated board and some coding.

Posted : 22/12/2021 10:43 am
Lichtjaeger
(@lichtjaeger)
Noble Member
RE: ESP8266MOD Wifi?

There was some work on the Buddy firmware recently. So it shouldn't take that long anymore.

Posted : 22/12/2021 11:45 am
Oxygen
(@oxygen)
Reputable Member
RE:

Can someone tell me why you would you trust a WiFi connection for a (multi-hour) 3D Print?

If I look at a Wifi analyzer  on the spot where my printer is it receives about 100+ different (2.4Ghz) Wifi networks. I would not trust the processing power of an ESP01(S) to handle that. 

Mini with FW:4.4.1 + SuperPINDA + Bondtech Heatbreak + PC4-M8 couplers + 1 piece boden

Posted : 22/12/2021 12:15 pm
Lichtjaeger
(@lichtjaeger)
Noble Member
Posted by: @oxygen

Can someone tell me why you would you trust a WiFi connection for a (multi-hour) 3D Print?

If I look at a Wifi analyzer  on the spot where my printer is it receives about 100+ different (2.4Ghz) Wifi networks. I would not trust the processing power of an ESP01(S) to handle that. 

It's just a WiFi monitor. G-Code and controller are still local. Maybe it has G-Code upload, but it wouldn't interrupt the current print or add the G-Code if the upload was not complete.

Those remote monitors are just for convenience. (To see or stop print progress remotely.) A disconnect will not harm print or printer.

Posted : 22/12/2021 12:50 pm
Oxygen
(@oxygen)
Reputable Member

Oh oke, but have you tried the wired version of that? the REST interface is horrible, prone to extreme time-outs. If there are improvements in that code they are well hidden... 

But If I had to choose where the best programmers should work on it would not be the network functionality 🙂

Mini with FW:4.4.1 + SuperPINDA + Bondtech Heatbreak + PC4-M8 couplers + 1 piece boden

Posted : 22/12/2021 1:22 pm
Oxize
(@oxize)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:
RE:

Posted by: @oxygen

Because it works flawlessly on my Flashforge Finder. Flashprint connects to my Flashforge Printer through wifi. And i sending the gcode through that. I never had something that it was corrupted. There algorithms for that to check if the was upload correctly.

And a printer without wifi is walking with no hands. It works without, but it would be finer to have something like that in 2021/2022. 

INNOVATE.....

(my company always pushed alot on innovating, and its a verry succesfull company now. If you dont, you keeping behind with old 90s stuff)

Posted : 22/12/2021 1:46 pm
MysDawg
(@mysdawg)
Estimable Member

I have a few of these boards lying around that I have used for other projects. The wifi has remained very stable for those projects.

Posted : 22/12/2021 10:47 pm
Share: