Remove printing noice by 15…20 db (!)

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
bassklampfe
(@bassklampfe)

After I finished building the original prusa enclosure, I was disappointed by all the vibrations and noise during printing. So I came up the the old solution of using a concrete plate as anti vibration mass.

Buy a concrete plate 40x40x4 cm.

Remove the anti-slip-dampers

Place the 4 spare Anti-Vibration-Pads on the bottom side of the concrete plate.

Place the concrete plate into the enclosure

Enjoy the "Sound of silence"

Publié : 20/03/2023 4:02 pm
Vous a aimé
Kirkeby
(@kirkeby)
RE: Remove printing noice by 15…20 db (!)

Looks like a great idea. Apart from the noise reduction did you see any improvements to the printing quality?

Publié : 29/03/2023 12:53 am
_rob_
(@_rob_)
Eminent Member

Well that kinda kills the portability of your printer. I don't have vibration issues but if I did, I think I'd try a piece of foam board first. Has anyone tried that yet? I'm sure it beats a giant patio brick.

Publié : 31/03/2023 5:28 pm
bassklampfe
(@bassklampfe)
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @_rob_

Well that kinda kills the portability of your printer.

Well, I never wanted to transport the enclosure with the printer inside, so it's no problem.
Using  LCD-Cable-Quick-Release for Original Prusa Enclosure it's easy and quick to move the printer out of the enclosure for service anyway.

Publié : 01/04/2023 5:57 am
vhubbard
(@vhubbard)
Estimable Member

I use 6 squash ball feet for my MK4 in an enclosure.  My spouse says she can barely hear it,  2 meters away.   I will keep the cement block in mind.  I may try one under the enclosure to see if it will dampen shaking of the table.  The table is a wire shelf with round metal pole assemblies.  It shakes some as the printer runs.  Doesn't seem to harm the print so far.   Hopefully with the input shaper will reduce the shaking also. 

Publié : 04/07/2023 5:17 pm
Nailig
(@nailig)

You would be suprised! a heavy concrete tile will do more than foam in this case. It's hard to move that weight, so the printer will also vibrate less. less vibration = less noise. with foam you do not reduce the printer vibration.

Posted by: @_rob_

Well that kinda kills the portability of your printer. I don't have vibration issues but if I did, I think I'd try a piece of foam board first. Has anyone tried that yet? I'm sure it beats a giant patio brick.

Publié : 07/07/2023 5:45 pm
Vous a aimé
_rob_
(@_rob_)
Eminent Member

Depends on the density of the foam. Also I bet a piece of rubber horse stall mat would do a pretty good job as well as less than a quarter of the weight. Just air it out first if it's new.

Publié : 07/07/2023 5:55 pm
Vous a aimé
Partager :