Fusion360 .STL importing into Prusa Slicer at 10x Scale!

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Fusion360 .STL importing into Prusa Slicer at 10x Scale!  

RSS
JUNO3D
(@juno3d)
Fusion360 .STL importing into Prusa Slicer at 10x Scale!

Hi there! 

I am having trouble with STL files I am exporting out of Fusion 360 - when imported into Prusa Slicer, I must reduce the scale to 10% for the object to be the correct dimensions. 

Yes, I have checked in Fusion 360 that I am designing & exporting in mm. And the Prusa Slicer is using mm also. 

Any clue why this is happening? How can I fix it? 

Thanks for your help,

John

Posted : 06/10/2020 1:22 pm
JUNO3D
(@juno3d)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Fusion360 .STL importing into Prusa Slicer at 10x Scale!

Figured it out... simple mathematical error 🙂 

Posted : 06/10/2020 1:40 pm
Area51
(@area51)

STL files have no scale (mm/in), PrusaSlicer assumes that the scale is in mm. Often the problem is that the conversion in the CAD program from/to imperial/metric, but that would give a scale difference of 25.4x.

You could try to load the model in another STL viewer to see, if the problem is at CAD or Slicer side.

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 06/10/2020 1:41 pm
Area51
(@area51)

Saw that you found the problem 😊 

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 06/10/2020 1:42 pm
mad scientist
(@mad-scientist)
Posted by: @area51

STL files have no scale (mm/in), PrusaSlicer assumes that the scale is in mm. Often the problem is that the conversion in the CAD program from/to imperial/metric, but that would give a scale difference of 25.4x.

You could try to load the model in another STL viewer to see, if the problem is at CAD or Slicer side.

I there a setting in PrusaSlicer to assume scale imperial?

Thank you!

Posted : 19/10/2020 4:26 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Not with version 2.2.0, the newly released 2.3.0 alpha has tools for changing the scale between imperial and metric.  Which wouldnt have helped with a 10x scale offset though.

The printer firmware and the software internally all assumes measurements are in metric, its only the UI layer that presents data to the user that shows things as scaled, internally the numbers dont change.  This is common with many software projects designed for users in multiple locations.

Posted : 19/10/2020 6:22 am
mad scientist
(@mad-scientist)
Posted by: @neophyl

Not with version 2.2.0, the newly released 2.3.0 alpha has tools for changing the scale between imperial and metric.  Which wouldnt have helped with a 10x scale offset though.

The printer firmware and the software internally all assumes measurements are in metric, its only the UI layer that presents data to the user that shows things as scaled, internally the numbers dont change.  This is common with many software projects designed for users in multiple locations.

Makes sense. Thanks for your reply!
Posted : 19/10/2020 7:54 am
Share: