Notifications
Clear all

Perimeter artifacts after 3.5 upgrade  

RSS
usisme
(@usisme)
Perimeter artifacts after 3.5 upgrade

It's tough to photograph, but with the naked eye it becomes extremely noticeable. Left is immediately before 3.5 upgrade, and right after. There are diagonal lines going in various directions to the extent the surfaces look like some sort of funky art piece. 

I've tried different print speeds and settings, different external perimeter speeds from 25-140mm/s, different spool placement, etc. The below is in ASA, but it's the same for all filaments. What can I do?

Posted : 02/04/2024 3:46 am
Mercur12
(@mercur12)
RE: Perimeter artifacts after 3.5 upgrade

I think the heating bed wobbling is the problem. On the MK3S+, the heating bed was attached directly to the subframe with screws. In MK3.5 there are “shock absorbers” that try to reduce this. But their hardness is not optimized.

Posted : 04/04/2024 6:49 am
usisme
(@usisme)
Topic starter answered:

Oh interesting, thanks Mercur12. Any known fixes for this? 

To some extent I'd be curious about this though because the perimeter of the surface you are seeing is being laid down all during a time where the y axis is not moving. 

Posted : 04/04/2024 10:05 pm
usisme
(@usisme)
Topic starter answered:

Hello, wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem or if someone knows the solution. Nothing I've done has helped increase the quality and feel of the perimeter prints...

Posted : 15/05/2024 5:19 pm
s e v e n
(@s-e-v-e-n)

After upgrading to 3.5 my prints are consistently worse. One thing I've noticed on the right of the build-plate is the first layer appears thin.  As if  the printhead  is too close to the build-plate. I sometimes wonder if it's the spacers, or the PINDA.  It's annoying.  I'm considering to put on the old spacers, because they re a defined and consistent height.  Upon first upgrading during the bed mesh procedure, the printhead would seriously press down into the rear right corner of the build-plate several mm causing the calibration to constantly fail. Perhaps the flexible spacers were damaged by this error, I have no idea what's happening.   I had to flash the firmware twice before this stopped occuring.

Prior to 3.5 my printer was producing very nice results, now the prints look, not so great.  I'm becoming annoyed with the lack of consistency I once had. 

Posted : 16/05/2024 12:08 am
Pupuplate
(@pupuplate)

I'm having the same right side problems after the upgrade. There is a bug in Git Hub that I believe talks about this:

https://github.com/prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware-Buddy/issues/3851

But you said yours went away after flashing the firmware twice?

Posted : 17/05/2024 6:00 pm
joshuamason
(@joshuamason)

I was about to post about this! maybe this should be a top-level topic. I disassembled the bed, reset the pinda. It does seem to have improved it--but do you print like this ALL the time or just the first layer calibration? 

I should have been better documenting--the first time I printed this the right side was actually blank because I think the sensor was close enough to the bed that it stopped extruding. The Z level might have been too low overall. I raised it but you can see the outlines on the righ 2cm are squished.

I thought adjusting the bed levels would do something but it didn't. I followed the trick above below is the result. I cancelled it because I could see enough of an improvement on the right side and I was getting impatient. It's better but not perfect.

there is some squishing but it's better.

Posted : 03/06/2024 11:07 am
Ulrich Schwabe
(@ulrich-schwabe)

This is on the exterior shell of an enclosure, so the picture is vertical. After learning a bit more it seems to be an IS issue, so I'm trying now to print a ringing tower and adjusting the IS frequencies accordingly (see https://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M593.html) but no luck yet. 

Posted : 03/06/2024 11:17 pm
Share: