Clear all

MMU3 failure screen options  

RSS
IG
 IG
(@ig)
Eminent Member
MMU3 failure screen options

When there is an issue with loading filament , the only option is "retry" which is very limited.

Retry can enter an endless loop, and if no disassembly resolves the issue, the only recourse would be to reset and lose the print.

I've had times when I've had to unscrew parts of the MMU3 selector or physically move the selector to the left or right in order to clear filament. In this type of instance, a "Re-home + retry" option would be nice It's difficult to get the selector lined up manually.

Maybe the manual selector buttons will "home" to that slot? I need to try that. Worst case scenario the user can choose to load a different filament just to move the print along.

Perhaps I am missing some other option. I'm open to suggestion or correction.

This topic was modified 2 months ago by IG

X marks the spot.

Posted : 19/04/2024 9:01 pm
Volker
(@volker)
Estimable Member
RE: MMU3 failure screen options

You can try the reset-button on the MMU3. This will home all axes and the print can be continued. Sometimes it takes several trials but never give up.

Posted : 20/04/2024 7:27 am
Calire and IG liked
Tango
(@tango)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @volker

You can try the reset-button on the MMU3. This will home all axes and the print can be continued. Sometimes it takes several trials but never give up.

This issue has been so frustrating it makes me want to take my MMU3 and throw it through a window (and I'm a non-violent person). So this would be good news.

While I think it's a serious flaw in the software that there is only "RETRY," being able to resume a print would be a big help. Does this work with prints started from the control panel on the printer - and does it work with prints I start on Prusa Connect? I've hit Reset and, after that, did not see a path to resume the print.

As it is, all I have is trials and I wouldn't, at this point, count on the MMU3 for any professional work that I need to look good unless I was sitting there, babysitting it the entire time.

Posted : 29/06/2024 6:02 am
PiKo Page
(@piko-page)

That is so very true... I just need to cut off the end of the filament, But the only option is "Retry"... It's so frustrating. I don't understand why I can't get to the menu the same way I can when I pause the print.

Posted : 29/06/2024 2:27 pm
Tango
(@tango)
Reputable Member

I included this issue on a long comment on the MMU3 assembly guide, along with 4 other points that I feel are serious problems and why it makes me feel like using the MMU3 is not like working with earlier products. I also had a long discussion last night with someone in tech support because, at that time, I had not been able to do a single complete print. That helped with me finally solving my problem, so, for the short range, that's good for me.

For the long range, he told me that the devs are aware of this issue, but apparently not sure what path to take to solve it. I said I think they should at least include CANCEL and CANCEL PRINT options. The second is obvious - let us quit that endless loop so we can do things instead of being caught in an endless RETRY loop and the only options to get out are to reset the firmware or power cycle. Considering the initialization routine the MMU goes through for either one, there are times that might create more trouble.

I realize the first, to just cancel the one action, is harder, since it means leaving the print mode and allowing the user to do stuff, then resume, but I would think there would be some way to store a pointer to the gcode command that was interrupted and to easily access the print in Prusa Connect or from the USB stick and to continue where the printer left off. I'm sure there are ways to do that. I think the first step would be to add CANCEL and have it cancel the print. Once that's updated, then work out how to cancel the current action and not cancel the print.

Posted : 29/06/2024 7:51 pm
Share: