MK4 PLA Stringing  

Page 7 / 14
  RSS
OB1
 OB1
(@ob1)
Trusted Member
RE: MK4 PLA Stringing

To avoid the leaking, I changed the start gcode to retract about 4cm when it gets to 170C (it's default at 2mm), and then detract 4cm while it's doing the purge line. This has pretty much eliminated 99% of leaking for me.

Posted : 13/11/2023 7:19 pm
bgiot
(@bgiot)

good to know...

But  back to the original issue that is PLA stringing during printing

Posted : 13/11/2023 7:22 pm
Cstef
(@cstef)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @bgiot

good to know...

You are right.
Unfortunately no one found neither a solution nor the reason until now. 
It seems that we have to live with the problem…🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted : 14/11/2023 9:22 pm
Uranday
(@uranday)
Eminent Member

Anyone tested with different slicers like cura, simplify3d, bamboo studio, etc? 

This could show if it is the slicer or the firmware/machine..

Posted : 14/11/2023 9:26 pm
OB1
 OB1
(@ob1)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @cstef

Posted by: @bgiot

good to know...

You are right.
Unfortunately no one found neither a solution nor the reason until now. 
It seems that we have to live with the problem…🤷🏻‍♂️

Prusa said they delayed MMU release for MK4 because of too much whisping with the filament heads. They also added some settings for XL in slicer specifically to reduce stringing with nextruder - but those settings are off by default in MK4 profile in the beta release. 

hopefully they are realizing there’s an issue with nextruder and stringing. 

Posted : 14/11/2023 9:55 pm
Uranday
(@uranday)
Eminent Member

Do you have these parameters for the XL? Would love to test them.

Posted by: @ob1

Prusa said they delayed MMU release for MK4 because of too much whisping with the filament heads. They also added some settings for XL in slicer specifically to reduce stringing with nextruder - but those settings are off by default in MK4 profile in the beta release. 

Posted : 15/11/2023 11:59 am
wburkett1965
(@wburkett1965)

If I remember correctly then it has to do with the ramping settings.  Those settings are in the XL at Printer Settings, Extruder, Travel Lift. You can make a copy of the printer in PrusaSlicer and get them from there. I'm not at home and can't try them myself. If you do let us know if it works.

Posted by: @uranday

Do you have these parameters for the XL? Would love to test them.

Posted : 15/11/2023 1:11 pm
Uranday
(@uranday)
Eminent Member

Its a shame, no result. Contacting prusa support. I got the feeling it is temperature related. Tested it also with the grey filament that was provided. Look at the string coming from the nozzle to the part.

Posted : 15/11/2023 5:49 pm
Uranday
(@uranday)
Eminent Member

Tried OrcaPrint, same result 🙁

Posted : 15/11/2023 9:55 pm
Andy
 Andy
(@andy-8)
RE:

New Mk4(kit) owner brand new to 3D printing here.  I do not claim to have the experience to add much to the discussion other than my observations below:

For the first week and a half I was having a grand old time, printing all kinds of cool things without any stress to me.  Everything just worked (though perhaps there were some things that were not right from the start that I didn't/don't know enough to tell?).  But things were going good.  This is why I spent the Prusa price premium instead of a ender, etc - so that things "just worked" at least for normal printing in PLA.  My goal is to print, not troubleshoot the printer for basic printing.    I used the stock profiles for Prusament and Jesse PLA.  I used the manufacturer recommended temps for Polymaker Polyterra.  Things printed well.  There was a little stringing.  There was a little oozing when the printhead was heating.  Sometimes little filament dots from auto-leveling   But all in all, good results with not a lot of effort on my part.

I have been trying to do things the right way.  Clean the bed with 99% IPA after every print.  I have occasionally cleaned with dish soap.  I have varied sides and locations on the plate so prints are not always in the middle.  I store my filament (all PLA) in the sterelite gasket containers with desiccant and humidity readouts. In short, I have tried to do things in the reccomended fashion.

Then after a week and a half things stopped printing correctly. Every print before that point in time worked, every print after has problems. Same gcode, same PLA, same everything. Now every print has first layer issues, every print has issues such as sections where it is like there is a missing layer. There is a lot more stringing. The print head sometimes seems to drag around filament instead of depositing it. When the print head heats up, a lot of filament oozes out. Often there are long lines of whispy filament connecting the print to the printhead even over significant distance. The printhead more often leaves dots behind during the auto-leveling process.

I have tried changing printing temps and first layer temps. I have tried using the input shaper. I have tried other things Prusa support has suggested.

Anyhow, I know parts of this post are borderline off-topic and I apologize, just adding a data point to the discussion. Thanks to everyone who read this far.

This post was modified 11 months ago by Andy
Posted : 18/11/2023 3:22 am
You liked
Cstef
(@cstef)
Eminent Member

Got the following answer from prusa support.

Could anyone already try the beta?

I have to wait to my new filament-dryer before i test it again. I want to do it with completely dry filament. Should be able to do it next week…

Thank you for contacting us.

The stringing issue has been improved in the latest firmware that you can find at https://github.com/prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware-Buddy/releases/tag/v5.1.0-beta. Please try flashing it and run the same stringing test once again. Also, make sure that the extruder idler tension is set exactly as shown at https://help.prusa3d.com/article/idler-screw-tension_177367, the ends of the idler screws must be aligned with the plastic parts. Please let me know about the results. Thank you. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Have a great day.

Best regards,

Posted : 18/11/2023 4:19 pm
Uranday
(@uranday)
Eminent Member

When I contacted support they asked me to go back to stock. 

I also tested with beta. No result. 

Posted by: @cstef

Got the following answer from prusa support.

Could anyone already try the beta?

I have to wait to my new filament-dryer before i test it again. I want to do it with completely dry filament. Should be able to do it next week…

Thank you for contacting us.

The stringing issue has been improved in the latest firmware that you can find at https://github.com/prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware-Buddy/releases/tag/v5.1.0-beta. Please try flashing it and run the same stringing test once again. Also, make sure that the extruder idler tension is set exactly as shown at https://help.prusa3d.com/article/idler-screw-tension_177367, the ends of the idler screws must be aligned with the plastic parts. Please let me know about the results. Thank you. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Have a great day.

Best regards,

Posted : 18/11/2023 5:04 pm
OB1
 OB1
(@ob1)
Trusted Member

I’m trying the beta FW. U have to go into printer settings and turn on the new anti stringing features. They are on for XL but off for MK4. 

i put in the same values for XL to turn them on and have only printed a few PETG models. I haven’t had any stringing with the PETG but haven’t tried pla yet

Posted : 18/11/2023 6:02 pm
Uranday
(@uranday)
Eminent Member

For me it didn't become better after turning it on. Curious how it is for others on the mk4. 

Posted : 18/11/2023 6:26 pm
OB1
 OB1
(@ob1)
Trusted Member

I did my first PLA print with the beta FW and the anti-strining fields turned to same values as the XL, and I didn't get any stringing. Of course, have to print more to see how it goes.

For me it didn't become better after turning it on. Curious how it is for others on the mk4. 

Posted : 19/11/2023 5:00 am
Uranday
(@uranday)
Eminent Member

What exact settings did you change?

And can you maybe share code (if the print is not to big, I like to test) 

Posted : 19/11/2023 8:09 am
OB1
 OB1
(@ob1)
Trusted Member

See attached picture. As for model, I suggest just printing a stringing test and comparing against previous settings.

For me, it seems better.

Posted : 19/11/2023 5:49 pm
You liked
Uranday
(@uranday)
Eminent Member

Not without stinging, but it was interesting haha... Maybe I messed up my settings... Can you make a bgcode for me just to check?

Posted : 19/11/2023 7:12 pm
Cstef
(@cstef)
Eminent Member

Just for my understanding: Did you try both new firmwares? For the Slicer and the printer? PS told me only about the printer.

Could you figure what had more effect?

See attached picture. As for model, I suggest just printing a stringing test and comparing against previous settings.

For me, it seems better.

Posted : 19/11/2023 8:45 pm
OB1
 OB1
(@ob1)
Trusted Member

I updated both slicer and printer FW.

note that the numbers I put for the new features are the defaults for 0.6mm XL nozzle. No idea what the MK4 numbers should be.

Posted : 19/11/2023 9:00 pm
Page 7 / 14
Share: