Clear all

Octoprint camera alternatives, 1080 would be nice  

RSS
Ido
 Ido
(@ido)
Trusted Member
Octoprint camera alternatives, 1080 would be nice

Currently I have a Raspberry pi 3 with a Pi-Cam connected to it to monitor my prints. The resolution is ok, but 1080 would be nicer.

What options are there...

• Connect one of the HD USB cams, like from Logitech to the RPi3, but this has impact on the load of the Pi, and also, would this also impact Octoprint resources? My Pi should print, streaming video is not a high prio.
  • Other option, use an IP cam, no load for the Pi. Unfortunately the IP cams I found can only stream the rtsp protocol, octoprint only accepts mjpeg streams
  • Third option I still have to research, use a good usb cam and connect it using a Raspberry pi zero. Dont know if the zero is fast enough for this. Also dont know if it can stream mjpeg
  • Does anybody have advice for a 1080 cam solution, without having a big impact on the core priority of Octoprint, controlling my 3D printer

Publié : 13/11/2018 8:43 pm
    JoanTabb
    (@joantabb)
    Veteran Member Moderator
    Re: Octoprint camera alternatives, 1080 would be nice

Pi zero is reputedly stretched... using a hi def camera may overload it.

I have never used a Pi zero, but the usb ports look like micro usb, this may not interface easily with a usb camera

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Publié : 13/11/2018 11:07 pm
    toaf
     toaf
    (@toaf)
    Noble Member

i would not go HD with a pi zero. as far as I'm concerned. the pi zero has just enough power to run the printer. I use a pi 3 for my cameras. and the pi zero to run the printer. I got a Logitech c615 and that seems to work good. but I still like my endoscope view better.

I have a Prusa,therefore I research.

Publié : 14/11/2018 1:26 am
    K7ZPJ
    (@k7zpj)
    Reputable Member

Another option is to get another RPI3B configured with a USB camera and running MJPG-Streamer to stream video to your Pi runing Octoprint. This is will offload the CPU cycles and memory needed to run MJPG-Streamer from your Octoprint RPI to the second RPI connected to the camera.

Once you have MJPG-Streamer working with the USB camera, you configure Octoprint on the RPI connected to your printer to use the second RPI by this URL: http://<IP_Second_RPI>:8080/?action=stream (You replace <IP_Second_RPI> with the IP address of the second RPI.)

MJPG-Streamer is a bit complicated to install so the easiest way to get up and going is just to install Octoprint on the second RPI.

Send a PM if you have questions.

Publié : 14/11/2018 1:53 am
    rob.l6
    (@rob-l6)
    Honorable Member

A Pi Zero running nothing but raspicam (or similar) will get you to 1080 with the latest Pi camera. It can manage it without any trouble. I use them as cheap security cams.

Publié : 14/11/2018 2:08 am
    Ido
     Ido
    (@ido)
    Trusted Member
    Topic starter answered:

Thank you for all the replies.

I found this, could be an option https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos
    motionEyeOS is a Linux distribution that turns your single board computer into a video surveillance system. Check out the wiki for more details.

I could also use a Rpi2 I still have collecting dust. I am going for a Logitech c525

I have never used a Pi zero, but the usb ports look like micro usb, this may not interface easily with a usb camera
    No problem, can use a OTG cable, converting the USB-A to micro standard

Publié : 14/11/2018 10:09 pm
    rob.l6
    (@rob-l6)
    Honorable Member

Thank you for all the replies.

I found this, could be an option https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos

I have tried motioneyes but found it difficult (surprisingly) to set up. Plus the fact it is complete firmware means you don't have the ability to "play around". This differs from say raspicam (which is just an app) which sits on top of the Raspbian os.

But your mileage may vary of course. 😉

Publié : 15/11/2018 3:22 am
    Partager :