Alles löschen

220v 200w silicone heater  

Seite 2 / 3
  RSS
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)
Mitglied
Re: 220v 200w silicone heater

These sorts of things get me to pondering what the world would be like had Edison won the electrification race over Tesla and Westinghouse.

well we wouldn't need most power bricks

... and switches/anything with contacts would be a hell of a lot more expensive. Not to mention that electrocution would be even more dangerous since DC means you can't let go.

Veröffentlicht : 11/03/2019 10:31 pm
michael.c110
(@michael-c110)
Eminent Member

would there be any benefit in beefing up the fuses

if you are looking for a guide here's this https://e3d-online.dozuki.com/Guide/High+temperature+bed+assembly+guide./80?lang=en

Veröffentlicht : 11/03/2019 10:36 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

Maybe that helps. +1 for "Don't do it"!

I'm always worried about people suggesting main voltage for the heated bed on the Prusa style printer.
This thing is moving alot. We have seen broken cables alot. In best case your surge protection will jump in and in worst case you or any other guy near your printer (maybe a relative?) can die. This mod is a bad idea for this printer. Anyone who propose or advertise this mod should have a proper knowledge, knowing how to make proper connections for this moving thing, knowing which cables to use, knowing after how many hours they need to be replaced and knowing which protection mechanism need to be in place and provide this knowledge in detail. In this case you wouldn't have any open questions.
What I usually see is a "I plugged it in, and it heats much faster ....GREAT" type of guys. Posting his "solution" to groups/videos. This is DANGEROUS!

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Veröffentlicht : 11/03/2019 10:38 pm
michael.c110
(@michael-c110)
Eminent Member

Maybe that helps. +1 for "Don't do it"!

I'm always worried about people suggesting main voltage for the heated bed on the Prusa style printer.
This thing is moving alot. We have seen broken cables alot. In best case your surge protection will jump in and in worst case you or any other guy near your printer (maybe a relative?) can die. This mod is a bad idea for this printer. Anyone who propose or advertise this mod should have a proper knowledge, knowing how to make proper connections for this moving thing, knowing which cables to use, knowing after how many hours they need to be replaced and knowing which protection mechanism need to be in place and provide this knowledge in detail. In this case you wouldn't have any open questions.
What I usually see is a "I plugged it in, and it heats much faster ....GREAT" type of guys. Posting his "solution" to groups/videos. This is DANGEROUS!

agreed

Veröffentlicht : 11/03/2019 10:42 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

These sorts of things get me to pondering what the world would be like had Edison won the electrification race over Tesla and Westinghouse.

well we wouldn't need most power bricks

... and switches/anything with contacts would be a hell of a lot more expensive. Not to mention that electrocution would be even more dangerous since DC means you can't let go.

AC also clamps muscles and disables the motor control to let go; and why industrial electricians working around AC have a guard rope and a second person nearby to pull them free if an accident happens. DC is a double edged sword. DC has the advantage that while it also clamps muscles, your heart doesn't go into fibrillation, which is what causes death in most electrocution cases. DC is like a pacemaker, clamps the muscles while applied, but the normal biological processes can recover once the current is removed. In fibrillation, the normal signals from the brain can't overcome the muscles chaotic motion - and you die of lack of oxygen due to no blood flow.

Veröffentlicht : 11/03/2019 10:45 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

would there be any benefit in beefing up the fuses

If you are considering the kit in the E3D product Michael linked to, the typical DC controlled OMRON SSR's are rated as follows:

http://www.ia.omron.com/products/family/992/specification.html
5 to 24 VDC 4 to 32 VDC 7 mA max. *2 4 VDC max. 1 VDC min.

If you are planning direct connect, I doubt any change in fuse size will help.

Veröffentlicht : 11/03/2019 10:53 pm
michael.c110
(@michael-c110)
Eminent Member

these heaters are ac so directly connecting it to the board will either fry it or do nothing

Veröffentlicht : 11/03/2019 10:56 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

these heaters are ac so directly connecting it to the board will either fry it or do nothing

My guess is noise, sparks, smoke, a chance of fire, and some interesting verbalization. But the OP wanted a technical discussion for prosumers, so I am omitting opinion in my replies to his questions. Wait - I failed in my last post: I expressed doubt when connected that way. My bad.

Veröffentlicht : 11/03/2019 11:28 pm
Mustrum Ridcully
(@mustrum-ridcully-2)
Honorable Member

these things are typically controlled by Solid State relays and a little know fact is that the market has to deal with cheap forgeries that look exactly like the good ones I have a friend who added the control of a flood cooling pump on his CNC mill with what he thought was a SSR from a major trusted supplier. fortunately he was not hurt and was able to kill the power to the machine as the fake SSR did major damage to the out of production controller of his mill when the thing shorted and arced in the controller cabinet... apparently the forgery is done so well that the SSR has to be disassembled by someone who knows what they are doing to spot the fake if you have a need for a SSR the takeaway it to buy only from a trusted supplier like McMaster Carr and not from alibaba or joe the ebay seller.

Veröffentlicht : 12/03/2019 12:46 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

also consider that increasing the size of a fuse doesn't automatically make the power supply capable of supplying the higher current, safely, nor does it thicken the PCB tracks that will be attempting to carry the additional current. Lack of immediate error indications doesn't guarantee continued operation at high power levels... Ambient temperature also plays a part in product failure. it's winter in the northern hemisphere at the moment, when summer comes, a device that is on the edge of power limits may fail due to increased ambient temperature

I have had to try and recover equipment that has been overloaded, it's not a nice job. and in many cases the flames have made recovery impossible.

if you must increase the load above and beyond the rated levels, please consider testing the functionality on something like an Anet printer with RAMPS instead of an original Prusa, first...

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Veröffentlicht : 12/03/2019 3:07 am
michael.c110
(@michael-c110)
Eminent Member

if you must increase the load above and beyond the rated levels, please consider testing the functionality on something like an Anet printer with RAMPS instead of an original Prusa, first...

aren't anets known for bursting into flames

Veröffentlicht : 12/03/2019 4:08 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Indeed they are, and so far Prusa's are not, so far...

and I would like to keep it that way!

Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Veröffentlicht : 12/03/2019 7:37 pm
dale.d3
(@dale-d3)
Eminent Member

Okay, folks...

Qualified power systems technician here, good for zero to five hundred thousand volts. I currently act as subject matter expert in electrical power for five states' worth of natural gas and oil pipelines.

Here's my take:

If you don't know exactly what you're doing, don't do it. 220 volts AC will kill. Fuses won't save you.

I would not attempt, on this forum, to explain how to do what the original poster was proposing. I MIGHT do it if we were sitting side by side at a workbench with the proper tools and parts.

the theory of doing this is fairly simple - the output NOW used to power the heated bed can be routed to a solid-state relay, turning it on and off, and that relay, properly rated AND protected AND wired, controls the primary power.

Nothing on the Einsy board is rated to handle 220 volts, and if you put that on the board, you'll blow it, quite possibly in a spectacular fashion. Have somebody video the event. It'll make a good YouTube video.

Fuses do not (at this level) limit current. If your house supply can pump 500 amps into your Einsy, it'll do it for a few cycles of time before the fuse blows. Your Einsy will be toast.

Bottom line - don't mess with mains power unless you REALLY know what you're doing,

Veröffentlicht : 13/03/2019 1:25 am
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

But the OP is a PROSUMER !

Veröffentlicht : 13/03/2019 1:58 am
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)
Mitglied

Okay, folks...

Qualified power systems technician here, good for zero to five hundred thousand volts. I currently act as subject matter expert in electrical power for five states' worth of natural gas and oil pipelines.

Here's my take:

If you don't know exactly what you're doing, don't do it. 220 volts AC will kill. Fuses won't save you.

I would not attempt, on this forum, to explain how to do what the original poster was proposing. I MIGHT do it if we were sitting side by side at a workbench with the proper tools and parts.

the theory of doing this is fairly simple - the output NOW used to power the heated bed can be routed to a solid-state relay, turning it on and off, and that relay, properly rated AND protected AND wired, controls the primary power.

Nothing on the Einsy board is rated to handle 220 volts, and if you put that on the board, you'll blow it, quite possibly in a spectacular fashion. Have somebody video the event. It'll make a good YouTube video.

Fuses do not (at this level) limit current. If your house supply can pump 500 amps into your Einsy, it'll do it for a few cycles of time before the fuse blows. Your Einsy will be toast.

Bottom line - don't mess with mains power unless you REALLY know what you're doing,

Sadly, your advice will fall on deaf ears... you're at least the third person to say this but the OP seems to have a reading or comprehension problem... 😉

But the OP is a PROSUMER !

Yes, and we are clearly all plebian sheeple that refuse to see the error of our ways and recognize true potential when we see it... 😆

Veröffentlicht : 13/03/2019 2:00 am
michael.c110
(@michael-c110)
Eminent Member

well at least we have someone who knows what their doing in this topic

Veröffentlicht : 13/03/2019 7:01 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

Not sure if that is an insult, or not ...

But I did like being called a plebian sheeple in Vintage's prior post. That was good. 😛

Veröffentlicht : 13/03/2019 7:58 pm
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)
Mitglied

But I did like being called a plebian sheeple in Vintage's prior post. That was good. 😛

This forum needs upvote/thumbsup buttons on each post 🙂

Veröffentlicht : 13/03/2019 8:06 pm
michael.c110
(@michael-c110)
Eminent Member

it was not trying to be, what i meant is we have someone that is certified with the voltage that we we are talking about.

Veröffentlicht : 15/03/2019 4:35 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

it was not trying to be, what i meant is we have someone that is certified with the voltage that we we are talking about.

That makes a leap of faith none of the other participants are qualified. Which is presumptuous.

Veröffentlicht : 15/03/2019 5:16 pm
Seite 2 / 3
Teilen: