Notifications
Clear all

Problems with new filament load feature in b137 firmware  

RSS
jettoblack
(@jettoblack)
Trusted Member
Problems with new filament load feature in b137 firmware

The b137 firmware added the "Automatic Filament load during filament change" feature, but it is giving me some problems:

1. It will attempt to load filament even when the nozzle is cold. (You can call that user error, but see #2.)

2. *BIGGEST PROBLEM* When filament is already loaded and the printer is in standby (i.e. not currently printing), if you do anything to slightly move or tug the the filament (e.g. bump the print carriage or the filament with your hand), it can trigger auto filament loading. This tries to push filament very quickly to load the full distance between the gears and nozzle, but when filament is already loaded or the nozzle is cold, this will result in the extruder grinding the filament and probably a jam. I already experienced a few jams due to this.

3. When changing from one filament to another, it auto loads the new filament as soon as you insert it, but unlike using Load Filament from the menu, it does not prompt you afterwards "Is color clear? Yes / No". If the new color is not clear, you can't go to the Load Filament menu because it does a fast full load cycle to load filament all the way from the gears down to the nozzle, not knowing that filament is already loaded all the way in. So instead you have to do a Unload then Load, or go to Settings > Move Axis > Extruder and manually extrude some more until the new color is clear. This is less convenient and less reliable than the prior FW where you could simply stick in the filament and go to the Load Filament menu.

I wish there was a way to turn this feature off without completely disabling the filament sensor, but I haven't found a way to do that yet.

Napsal : 20/12/2017 9:35 am
Chris
(@chris-16)
Reputable Member
Re: Problems with new filament load feature in b137 firmware

i've had the same experience and thought i was imagining or not doing it right. The cold load part was pretty crazy when it happened to me. lots of clicking and bangin while it tried to push filament through and i finally had to reset the printer just to get it to stop.

Napsal : 21/12/2017 12:05 am
Impruve
(@impruve)
Estimable Member

Hmmm... that sounds and looks dangerous xD

I havent seen that happen to me yet... i hope it stays that way.

I also have the B137 FW.

Napsal : 21/12/2017 12:44 am
gerhard.k
(@gerhard-k)

This is also a problem if you switch material from PLA to PETG.
Preheat for PLA an then auto load PETG with the same temp, yeah, there are 40 °C missing.

Napsal : 22/12/2017 2:56 pm
JLTX
 JLTX
(@jltx)
Reputable Member

ditto on all OP said.

Napsal : 22/12/2017 11:32 pm
Share: