Notifications
Clear all

Strange vertical artifacts in a bigger (500g) print  

RSS
electronica
(@electronica)
Strange vertical artifacts in a bigger (500g) print

So I decided to print this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3532973 moon lamp in white PLA.

As you can see there are vertical artifacts ("rings"). they are NOT visible in daylight, only if the lamp is on. The distance between the rings is random. My guess is that there must be pigment density variations within the filament (primaselect PLA white2,3kg spool). When painting with lineseed oil for example once it is white "enough" the naked eye won't see any difference in little more pigment though translucency of course would be different. I noticed visible colour variations from that vendor between different batches but to the naked eye filament from one batch always looks the same.

Did anyone have this issue before? What are your ideas on it, could it be printer related (MK3s)? Any filament vendors that should work (if it has to do with the filament)?

This topic was modified 4 years ago by electronica
Posted : 13/11/2019 5:36 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: Strange vertical artifacts in a bigger (500g) print

Inconsistent filament diameter can come into play, but so might print settings on the slicer. For example, ensure vertical wall thickness may add perimeters. What settings did you use? 

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 13/11/2019 7:02 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

Please provide your sliced settings (project file). Based on the posted low-res image it's really hard to see any issues or root cause.

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 13/11/2019 7:20 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

If the filament is a creamy milky white or slightly translucent color rather than a solid matte white, variation in pigment density is a possibility.  I've printed that moon globe (or something similar enough with internal terrain added to improve terrain opacity) and found that some filaments tend to work better than others, with cost not being a factor: some show density change more than others.  But, the design almost requires 100% infill to get the proper result.

Posted : 13/11/2019 7:33 pm
electronica
(@electronica)
Topic starter answered:

the whole 3mf file is 65MB but here is the settings file. I didn't tune much afaik.

Attachment removed
This post was modified 4 years ago by electronica
Posted : 13/11/2019 7:41 pm
electronica
(@electronica)
Topic starter answered:

hope this is higher resolution:

@bobstro: so i just uncheck "ensure vertical wall thickness"? and activate "detect thin walls" to ensure no holes emerging?
This post was modified 4 years ago by electronica
Posted : 13/11/2019 7:44 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

One other pointer for that globe: the light source is important.  Some lamps vary in brightness at some angles.  Try moving the light around and make sure those bands are actually in the plastic and not a light artifact.

Posted : 13/11/2019 7:55 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

@johannes-w

It's not about holes. "Ensure vertical shell thickness" is adding additional filament on the side to the walls, so the internal overhang have a base to lay down a layer on it. This would make a dark(er) spot if you shine through. This is exactly I was hoping to see in your project file.

In general you will always see layers, if you shine through the wall. Depending on the shine/view angle it will be more or less pronounced. For example here you can see that you will always have thicker and thinner diameter of the wall. Printed-with-1-0-mm-nozzle.png  . Thick = less light, thin = more light. You can also play with a resolution to make it less visible. 

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 13/11/2019 8:52 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

Nikolai - the model is essentially a spherical lithophane, and it works pretty well. The ones I've printed show no signs of variation due to perimeter settings - including ensure vertical shell - because the part is hollow by design and the walls are generally less than four to six perimeters. 

Posted : 13/11/2019 9:28 pm
Share: