Notifications
Clear all

Printing 1000+ 1mm holes in 80mm circle ?  

RSS
Astroxss
(@astroxss)
Printing 1000+ 1mm holes in 80mm circle ?

Designed faucet shower.

Can not slice (...and print ) it. 

Getting error: there is an object with no extrusions on the first layer

Also, after slicing, all mesh holes at bottom are gone.

Tried slicing individual small part with 1mm holes with 2m distance and it slices fine. Not sure why i get error.

STL file

Posted : 23/05/2021 1:32 pm
fuchsr
(@fuchsr)
Famed Member
RE: Printing 1000+ 1mm holes in 80mm circle ?

1. Not a good idea to link to an external site... who wants to download potential viruses.

2. For questions like this, it helps if you save your project as a .3mf file from Prusaslicer and upload it here. The 3mf file contains not only the model but also all your settings information, so folks here can take a closer look.

Unfortunately, this forum does not allow the upload of 3mf files, so you'll have to Zip it into an archive before you can upload the .zip file here. Follow the instructions here: https://forum.prusa3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/How-to-save-and-upload-a-project-1.pdf

Posted : 23/05/2021 10:03 pm
Dan Rogers
(@dan-rogers)
Noble Member

I'll suggest a redesign.  Design a simple 80mm solid cylinder - I made a sample 4mm thick, use honeycomb infill with high % (higher % = smaller octagons), 5 perimeters zero bottom layers, zero top layers.  No holes to punch.  slicing mysteries.  Just let the slicer do the work for you.

Attachment removed
Posted : 24/05/2021 6:07 am
ssill2 liked
Marvin
(@marvin)
Eminent Member

That STL seems to be broken. Prusaslicer reports auto repair of 127983 errors. Auto repair can often fix a non manifold mesh, but don't rely on it.

Posted : 24/05/2021 7:12 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

This file appears to have no errors:

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 24/05/2021 9:54 am
ssill2
(@ssill2)
Noble Member

@dan-rogers

That's actually a really good idea.  I wonder if I could use something like that for that drawer insert problem.   seems like you'd be less prone to warping.

Posted : 24/05/2021 6:04 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: @cwbullet

This file appears to have no errors:

I am sorry guys.  I removed the errors and failed to upload the file.  Did anyone fix the errors?  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 24/05/2021 6:10 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

@ssill2

It doesn't work well in some cases. The infill often doesn't connect well enough to the perimeters to be functional under stress.  They actually will pop out, lol. I supposed increasing infill attach variables could help, I haven't tried.  But fan grills where I've used the technique are fragile beasts.

This post was modified 3 years ago by --
Posted : 24/05/2021 6:12 pm
ssill2
(@ssill2)
Noble Member

@tim-2

Makes sense.  I can't imagine how long that first layer takes to go down with that many holes! lol

Posted : 24/05/2021 6:14 pm
-- liked
Dan Rogers
(@dan-rogers)
Noble Member

@ssill2

Big time.  I do this kind of magic trick all the time (turn the problem upside down, let the slicer help you make the problem easier).  if you look at the model for that sieve, it is a hole blocker with no holes).  You want holes, let the slicer make them happen perfectly.

Posted : 25/05/2021 2:49 am
ssill2 liked
Share: