Notifications
Clear all

Super Lube 51004 Synthetic Oil ?  

RSS
1derman
(@1derman)
Super Lube 51004 Synthetic Oil ?

Thanks to Chuck H, for sharing his test results using Super Lube 51004 Synthetic Oil on his Prusa 3D printer. I have three questions if anyone knows. 1) Does this also work to keep the rubber belts from drying out and cracking? If not, could someone provide an alternative for keeping the belts from cracking/drying and potentially tearing? 2) Does Super Lube 51004 Synthetic Oil replace the Prusa grease that comes with the printer? 3) Can you use it on the threaded rods? I will be purchasing this lubricant as soon as possible to keep my machine purring like a kitten.

Posted : 15/05/2021 8:14 am
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member
RE: Super Lube 51004 Synthetic Oil ?

My routine has been to every so often to put a few drops of lightweight (generic hardware store) synthetic machine oil on the smooth rods and every so many so oftens to apply Superlube grease to the rods and exercise them to the full extremities.

IIRC, the Party Line is to not lube the threaded rods.

As for the rubber belts, I would not put anything on them.  I don't expect them to wear out quickly, but I do have a spare in my 'crash kit' in case one would break or deform.

Posted : 15/05/2021 11:18 am
fuchsr liked
1derman
(@1derman)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks buddy for the advice. I will follow your suggestion. Much appreciated.

Posted : 17/05/2021 4:40 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@jsw

This is the same thing I do.  Nothing on the belts.  Thin synthetic oil or super lube on the rods and work them into the bearings.  

I have not lubricated the threaded rod, but I am not sure I would ever do it.  I just have not noticed a need.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 17/05/2021 6:43 pm
Share: