Notifications
Clear all

Is there a way to run the mk3s with 220x220 plate?  

RSS
CornelM
(@cornelm)
Is there a way to run the mk3s with 220x220 plate?

Perhaps this was mentioned somewhere, but did not see it. Is there there is a way to run a smaller plate 220x220 with the MK3s?  I happen to have a glass plate  220x220 and I'm  not convinced I can use it since the bed calibration seems to run at the edges and might not properly hit the smaller sized plate. 

Posted : 09/12/2020 2:42 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: Is there a way to run the mk3s with 220x220 plate?

You're going to have 3 issues:

1. The size of your glass plate. While it can certainly fit on the X dimension (the Mk3 can fit 250mm), it won't fit on the Y (the Mk3 only has 210mm depth). You could just clip it on in the back and let it stick out the front so long as you're OK losing 10mm of printable area.
  2. The thickness of the glass is very likely to cause problems with the PINDA probe and mesh bed leveling. The probe uses induction to detect the metal print bed. It normally operates in a range of less than 2mm. If your glass it thicker, it's likely the nozzle will be driven into the glass.
  3. The added weight of the glass is going to cause problems with print quality, likely ringing in the Y dimension.

My question is why you'd want to? With the wide range of available surfaces for the Mk3, I'm curious why you'd saddle it with an old technology that is going to be difficult to fit and calibrate and possibly cause print quality issues. You'll also get to deal with part removal issues and possible damage to the glass plate. It seems like a real step backwards.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 09/12/2020 4:56 pm
CornelM liked
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @cornelm

Perhaps this was mentioned somewhere, but did not see it. Is there there is a way to run a smaller plate 220x220 with the MK3s?  I happen to have a glass plate  220x220 and I'm  not convinced I can use it since the bed calibration seems to run at the edges and might not properly hit the smaller sized plate. 

If you need a smooth and shiny structure at the bottom of the printed parts, you could for example glue a Kapton foil on a blank Prusa spring steel plate.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 09/12/2020 5:30 pm
CornelM liked
CornelM
(@cornelm)
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

Thanks for the feedback, tons of good info there I was not aware of. Not so much shooting for old tech just happened to have these glass plates and was curious if  could use them. I'm not old school 3D printer guy here, MK3S is my first printer - ever. But I do like experimenting just to see what comes of it.  Size was my initial concern, but looks like I have overlooked the PINDA. Weight might not be an issues, they are light weight, are 3mm thick. Thank again for excellent info!

Posted : 09/12/2020 7:28 pm
CornelM
(@cornelm)
Topic starter answered:

@karl-herbert

Didn't know you can do that. Good to know.

Thank you!

Posted : 09/12/2020 7:34 pm
Share: