Game model coming from blender looks good in both fusion 360 and PrucaSlicer, until i click slice now, when the model becomes unusable

Notifiche
Cancella tutti

Game model coming from blender looks good in both fusion 360 and PrucaSlicer, until i click slice now, when the model becomes unusable  

RSS
luer1001
(@luer1001)

As stated in the title i imported a game model into blender, then to fusion and lastly to Pruca, and the model looks fine in the PrucaSlicer preview, but when i try to "slice" it, it suddenly looks weird, with big holes going through the model. I tried to import it straight into fusion and also tried straight from blender into Pruca, but the issue still stands. Thankful for any answers!

Postato : 30/11/2020 7:22 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member
RE: Game model coming from blender looks good in both fusion 360 and PrucaSlicer, until i click slice now, when the model becomes unusable

The model is most likely non manifold.  This is very common with models that are not designed for 3d printing but for use in a game. They look good on the surface which is all thats required for rendering on screen.

In case you are unfamiliar with the term 'manifold' means the model must be solid, ie think of it as watertight.  So no holes that would lead in to the internal geometry.

If you have slicer installed on Windows 10 you can right click the model and try the repair through Netfabb option.  If not on Win 10 then the Netfabb repair service is available online.  For slightly broken models that is often enough to make them printable.  For others though that the automatic best guess software cant fix it can remove bits completely.  When that happens then a human needs to go in and fix the model.  Depending on the model that can take days, sometime to the point where its quicker to remodel the thing from scratch.

If you want further help then you are going to have to attach the model you are trying to print.  Be aware that the forum only accepts a very limited number of file types, stl not being one of them.  You need to zip up files into an archive to attach them here.

Postato : 30/11/2020 9:15 am
Lichtjaeger
(@lichtjaeger)
Noble Member
RE: Game model coming from blender looks good in both fusion 360 and PrucaSlicer, until i click slice now, when the model becomes unusable

You will need to work on those models in Blender to make them printable.

If you activate "Face orientation" to see critical places coloured in red:

Most times this will show wrongly orientated normals or holes in the body. Commonly, clothes are made out of non-volume meshes and need to be solidified.

You also need to repair potential mesh separation. Go to edit mode, press the P key and select "By Loose Parts". Repair each part individually, then join them together and use one of the remesh options to merge the object. The sculpting tools can be used for the final cleanup.

Now it should be printable.

Postato : 30/11/2020 11:04 am
Condividi: