Notifications
Clear all

SD-cards getting corrupted ~1:10 times? (Windows 11)  

RSS
AcE Krystal
(@ace-krystal)
Trusted Member
SD-cards getting corrupted ~1:10 times? (Windows 11)

I'm curios if others also have this problem.

For some time (since windows 11) I get corrupted SD-cards and lose all my files on them as the SD-card needs to be formatted again in order to work in both the printer and windows. It seems to happen about ever ~10 to 15 times I export something to the SD-card using prusa slicer, eject the card (using prusa slicer eject button) and inserting it in one of my prusa MK3(s+) printers. The printer will show hollow dots when loading the SD-card, and then show no files. Re-inserting it in the pc now shows an SD-card without storage space.

I'm unsure yet if this is an Windows 11 (dev) problem or if this is an problem with the printers corrupting the SD-cards for some reason.

Here is also my windows 11 bug report on this issue : https://aka.ms/AAgvu55

I did try :
- 5 different brand SD-card readers
- many different SD-cards including 2 originals from Prusa
- Both an older MK3 and brand new MK3S+ printer
- Not 100% sure, but I think I never have had an corrupt SD-card using my windows 10 laptop.

Creative Engineer and 3D printing @ AcEcraft.eu

Posted : 11/05/2022 4:52 pm
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member
RE: SD-cards getting corrupted ~1:10 times? (Windows 11)

In most applications (phone, camera etc.) where SD cards are successfully that are static ie not physically swapped in and out. IMHO using SD cards like this is suboptimal. Perhaps you could look at some  other way to send data to your printer, either streamed (Octoprint, Klipper etc.) or Wifi SD cards or writing to the SD card thro the printer (very slow, not recommended).

Posted : 12/05/2022 11:10 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

I see you have a issue open on github, good move 👍 

Does the corruption happen if you eject using the windows 11 eject process rather than the one in PS ?  Might be an interesting data point  in tracking down the problem.  If it happens when using the built in windows eject then that would suggest a win11 bug.  If it only happens when ejecting via PS then there might be something the devs can do about it if they can figure out what is happening.

Posted : 12/05/2022 12:33 pm
AcE Krystal
(@ace-krystal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Little Update :

I am now seeing my SD-card not being read by Windows 11, it gives me the error :

G:\ is not accessible.

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

But when I put the SD-card back in the prusa I can see the files perfectly fine.

Back in Windows 11, using the "Disk Managment" tool I can see my disk with a 14.44GB partition and 288MB unallocated space. So Windows does see a partition, but it shows up as a "RAW" partition witch is incorrect.

I have not found a solution yet. I tried putting it in my windows 10 pc, but that now gives the same error, but still seeing a RAW partition.

I'm still searching where the problem happens... are the prusa printers writing something on the SD-card that corrupts them for windows but not itself? I kinda feel it most of the times happens when I interrupt a print when I noticed some slicing error and I use the prusa printer menu to "stop print". And take out the SD-card.

Creative Engineer and 3D printing @ AcEcraft.eu

Posted : 06/07/2022 10:18 am
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

Wasn't there a very similar issue reported maybe 1-2 weeks ago?

I seem to remember that may have been Windows related too.

Posted : 06/07/2022 10:36 am
JustMe3D
(@justme3d)
Honorable Member
RE:

Posted by: @ace-krystal

eject the card (using prusa slicer eject button) and inserting it in one of my prusa MK3(s+) printers. 

If Windows 11 is stupid enough to require applying an EJECT command prior to removing an SD card, then this is a massive OS deterioration, coming close to the unintelligent Mac system which always bitches if that process was not followed. Under Win10 there is no such need on my PCs and I don´t give a bit whether or not PS offers an EJECT button, particularly as PS does not bitch if I don´t use it. I wait until PS reports "export complete" and pull the SD card. Worked for me for hundreds and hundreds of prints without any damage to the data. And I don´t buy the argument about static use of SD cards; what´s the value of creating swappable drives if they are to be used in a static environment? Exactly 1 - 1. I´m just so fed up with making simple issues such as a file transfer more and more complex. Win 3.1, Norton Commander and a 1,44MB drive probably sit together on a cloud in data heaven and laugh at this.

Thus, I´d just try to skip any EJECT command and see whether the issue persists. Does the issue exist if you save the file to the HDD first and export it then via drag & drop to the SD-card in the Explorer?

Cheers

Chris

I try to give answers to the best of my ability, but I am not a 3D printing pro by any means, and anything you do you do at your own risk. BTW: I have no food for…

Posted : 06/07/2022 10:47 am
JustMe3D
(@justme3d)
Honorable Member

Just for sake of completion: As you are using a number of different SD-cards, I´d suggest you have a look at Prusa´s formatting instructions to see whether any deviations exist: https://help.prusa3d.com/article/sd-cards-and-usb-drives_112291

Cheers

Chris

I try to give answers to the best of my ability, but I am not a 3D printing pro by any means, and anything you do you do at your own risk. BTW: I have no food for…

Posted : 06/07/2022 10:57 am
Nigelo
(@nigelo)

Whether you need to use the EJECT command or not in Windows 7/10/11 depends entirely on how your PC is configured. By default, Disk Write Caching is disabled for external drives BUT it can be enabled by the User / Admin for increased write speed.  It therefore follows that you need to check this setting (using Device Manager with the SD card inserted) if you do NOT intend using the EJECT command.  I happen to use this safety device anyway but your mileage may vary

Posted : 06/07/2022 11:37 am
JustMe3D
(@justme3d)
Honorable Member

Posted by: @nigelo

It therefore follows that you need to check this setting (using Device Manager with the SD card inserted) if you do NOT intend using the EJECT command.  I happen to use this safety device anyway but your mileage may vary

Thanks for the interesting explanation!

Let me add, slightly OT <vbg>, that it may well be considered normal to call an EJECT button a safety feature even if the program has already reported "transfer complete". I guess it´s owed to my age that I likewise don´t see any improvement in any "Smart Technology" <rofl> which requires me to hit a START button first, then selecting ON/OFF and then selecting hibernate/shut off/restart, only to SHUT DOWN a system.

Cheers

Chris

Posted : 06/07/2022 12:28 pm
Nigelo
(@nigelo)
RE:

Perhaps I should have explained that the Win EJECT function forces any data still held in cache to be written to the drive in question with immediate effect i.e. it safely flushes the write and completes the write process.  Removing the external drive where caching is enabled but without flushing this cache is tempting fate and could, repeat could, result in file or even drive corruption in the same way as a power cut at an inopportune moment.

As an aside, also OT and LOL, START has become the new Finish!! You can always create a very simple CMD (or BAT) file for your desktop containing the command "shutdown /s"  to avoid your multiple click frustrations to power off. Alternatively, you can configure the PC/Laptop power button to achieve the same result.  

Posted : 06/07/2022 1:48 pm
Share: