Notifications
Clear all

Cover, 106x73x47: 23m Filament & 6.5 Hrs. That Right?  

RSS
Wingsy
(@wingsy)
Eminent Member
Cover, 106x73x47: 23m Filament & 6.5 Hrs. That Right?

I don't have my MK3 yet but I'm getting ready for a printing marathon with several things I want made. This thing is a cover for a gearbox & electronics. Walls are 3mm thick, fill set to 10%. According to Slic3R it's going to take 23 meters of filament and 6.5 hours to print. Does that sound right? Seems like a major undertaking for just a box, and I'll need to make 5 of these.

(And how many meters of PLA filament is there in a 1kg roll?)

Napsal : 24/06/2018 8:40 pm
ram64
(@ram64)
Trusted Member
Re: Cover, 106x73x47: 23m Filament & 6.5 Hrs. That Right?

Cover-Slic3R-PE.png
I don't have my MK3 yet but I'm getting ready for a printing marathon with several things I want made. This thing is a cover for a gearbox & electronics. Walls are 3mm thick, fill set to 10%. According to Slic3R it's going to take 23 meters of filament and 6.5 hours to print. Does that sound right? Seems like a major undertaking for just a box, and I'll need to make 5 of these.

(And how many meters of PLA filament is there in a 1kg roll?)

There are a lot of factors that can influence the length of filament used and that's just an estimate so it might be less or more anyway. A typical 1KG roll of PLA has approximately 300m of filament.

As there's not much detail required you can ramp up the layer thickness to reduce printing time. Additionally, try to print more items during the same print session (i.e. 2 or 4 boxes if they fit on the plate). It will take less than individual prints.

Napsal : 24/06/2018 9:09 pm
Olef
 Olef
(@olef)
Prominent Member
Re: Cover, 106x73x47: 23m Filament & 6.5 Hrs. That Right?

6.5 hours is reasonable for what you are printing. The boxes I'm currently printing, four of them to form a large digital clock case, are taking 9.5 hours each.

FDM is not fast but it is a whole lot faster and cheaper than other methods of fabrication, and gives results of a quality that would be unachievable for hobbyists or small businesses.

I too wish it was faster!

Napsal : 25/06/2018 7:56 am
Share: