Notifications
Clear all

Z level height -1,150  

RSS
dawa.d
(@dawa-d)
Z level height -1,150

In the manual it says that if the Z level is below -1mm, then the pinda probe should be adjusted. Is this really true? In one of the videos Josef adjusts an i3 to around that height and seems to be fine with it. My prints work ok for the most part, but I had some isses of the nozzle hammering into the infill (both on PLA and PETG). The forums seem to suggest to adjust retraction & extrusion multiplier, but I was wondering if the hammering could be related to my Z level being lower than -1mm.

Thanks in advance!

Posted : 12/11/2018 11:48 pm
Pathogen
(@pathogen)
Estimable Member
Re: Z level height -1,150

Possibly related, I just sawpped out a nozzle and heatbreak, and I needed to adjust Live-Z down -200 more. So either the nozzle of heatbreak (or both) have different lengths.

I have read no definitive way to adjust Pinda height, its the wild west thus far. There is a graph in the manual showing how the Pinda becomes less reliable when out of range, but what that range is in unclear, and may well depend on the individual characteristics of the Pinda. I look forward to someone coming up with a Pinda Height Calibration method at some point, although it may not be useful given how temperatures, magnets, and who knows what else may affect Pinda behavior. This is not even to mention that as long as the print is getting adequate adhesion, does it even matter how perfect the first layer is? I for one spent FAR TOO MUCH TIME fussing over layer one when I first got my MK3.

Posted : 13/11/2018 12:38 am
randolph.l
(@randolph-l)
Honorable Member

the updated instruction they have posted; is 2mm so you have space still with out moving the pinda. I think part of the problem is that the way each pinda works is that there is variation in where it will trigger so there is not a hard and fast numbest they can give us and have it be set and done... so they tell you to use the zip tie as a feel er gauge which should set the bottom face of the pinda 1.2mm higher than the tip of the nozzle to give us a starting point..

but I agree whole heartedly there should be a better way of adjusting it then loosen the lock screw and wiggle it up.. the part has a fine thread on it but unscrewing it a little bit to raise it for example is tough as it will swing the wiling for it out to a place where it can contact X axis idler carriage and interfere in its travel.

ideal would be an adjustable mount with a fine thread so each turn would give you say 0.5mm of adjustment that way you could do a 1/4 turn for 0.012 of adjustment. bud space there is very tight and you don't want to limit the x travel... all engineering is comprise and tradeoff.

Posted : 13/11/2018 1:36 am
dawa.d
(@dawa-d)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks a lot Randolph!
I spent quite some time trying to get below the 1mm, one piece less in the puzzle...

Posted : 15/11/2018 1:09 am
dawa.d
(@dawa-d)
Topic starter answered:

Here is how I solved the nozzle scratching rectangular infill:
https://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/others-archive--f66/nozzle-bumping-against-infill-t14229-s20.html#p116489

Posted : 18/11/2018 4:34 am
Share: