Clear all

Nozzle wont go over ~210°C  

RSS
StephanK
(@stephank)
Reputable Member
Nozzle wont go over ~210°C

Hi there,

I have a new problem with my MK2. Starting a few days ago, i seem to be unable to maintain a nozzle temperature higher than approximately 210°C while printing. During preheat, so while printer is standing idle there's no problem. Reported temperature is correct, i verified it with a thermal cam.

I've tried:

- re-running PID tuning a couple of times
- going back to firmware x.x.11
- slowing down prints to a crawl seems to help a little

I guess next step would be to swap the heater cartridge or power supply or both.
Or does anyone have another idea?

Napsal : 28/08/2017 3:28 pm
malcolm.r
(@malcolm-r)
Eminent Member
Re: Nozzle wont go over ~210°C

Hello Stephan

I had a similar problem a month or so back and after a good read in these forums I did three things to fix it.

- replaced the thermistor with a new one. Likely I damaged the old one with an over print contact to the wire connection.
- added a silicone "sock" to the heat block, this holds the heat in better and keeps a steady temperature.
- as I had it all apart I added a hardened steel nozzle tip, not sure this helped but it was part of my upgrade as I had it apart.

The temperature has settled down and no issues with it since the changes.

Hope this helps sir! 🙂

mr

If you want something different for tomorrow you have to DO something different today. 💡

Napsal : 28/08/2017 9:33 pm
JeffJordan
(@jeffjordan)
Member Moderator

maybe the heater cartridge reached it's end of life ?
like the heater elements at your soldering-iron, sooner or later they need to be exchanged.

dem inscheniör is' nix zu schwör...

Napsal : 28/08/2017 9:54 pm
AJS
 AJS
(@ajs)
Noble Member

Hi there,

I have a new problem with my MK2. Starting a few days ago, i seem to be unable to maintain a nozzle temperature higher than approximately 210°C while printing. During preheat, so while printer is standing idle there's no problem. Reported temperature is correct, i verified it with a thermal cam.

I've tried:

- re-running PID tuning a couple of times
- going back to firmware x.x.11
- slowing down prints to a crawl seems to help a little

I guess next step would be to swap the heater cartridge or power supply or both.
Or does anyone have another idea?

Because the problem seems to happen only when the system is in motion, I would think you might have an intermittent connection on the wiring (likely due to a pinch at a zip tie). When the carriage moves, the contact is lost or shorted, limiting your life.

To test:

If stationary it can reach and maintain 260, then the thermistor and heat cartridge are okay.

If you then wiggle the wire bundle, does it then have issues? If so, search for a crimp in a wire where the wiggling causes it.

Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage or loss. If you solve your problem, please post the solution…

Napsal : 29/08/2017 3:11 am
StephanK
(@stephank)
Reputable Member
Topic starter answered:

Thanks all for your suggestions. As it turned out, it was a broken thermistor wire that occasionally dropped out. After swapping the thermistor and then carefully checking the wires, i noticed a kink. So i plugged it back in and wiggling that kink made temperatures jump.

Looks like i am back printing.

This is what it looked like before:

Napsal : 05/09/2017 8:21 pm
StephanK
(@stephank)
Reputable Member
Topic starter answered:
Napsal : 05/09/2017 8:22 pm
StephanK
(@stephank)
Reputable Member