Notifications
Clear all

M500 command not surviving reboot  

RSS
prusayo
(@prusayo)
Reputable Member
M500 command not surviving reboot

When I save the following pid autotune to eeprom using M500 command I see it's saved successfully by checking M503, however when I restart printer the old M301 commands are listed. How is it possible to save to eeprom permanently to survive reboot?
M301 P17.00 I1.18 D61.28

Opublikowany : 08/10/2016 8:27 am
luma
 luma
(@luma)
Re: M500 command not surviving reboot

I'm seeing this same behavior. What needs to happen to get the mk2 to save PID values?

Opublikowany : 01/01/2017 3:50 pm
prusayo
(@prusayo)
Reputable Member
Topic starter answered:

I'm seeing this same behavior. What needs to happen to get the mk2 to save PID values?

You need to put it in the slicer settings so it's in the gcode instead. Or recompile the firmware.

Opublikowany : 01/01/2017 5:35 pm
luma
 luma
(@luma)

Just to confirm - are you saying this is expected behavior with the default firmware? If so no problem, I've already put the values into the connect script in Octoprint. I'm just worried that saving to EEPROM doesn't seem to be working and have been trying to troubleshoot that issue.

Opublikowany : 01/01/2017 5:52 pm
prusayo
(@prusayo)
Reputable Member
Topic starter answered:

Just to confirm - are you saying this is expected behavior with the default firmware? If so no problem, I've already put the values into the connect script in Octoprint. I'm just worried that saving to EEPROM doesn't seem to be working and have been trying to troubleshoot that issue.
That's right, by design not being allowed to save to EEPROM. Not sure why they did that.

Opublikowany : 01/01/2017 8:41 pm
luma
 luma
(@luma)

That's right, by design not being allowed to save to EEPROM. Not sure why they did that.

Thanks man, that saves me a lot of troubleshooting! Now to learn how to compile Marlin to cook in the new PID values and enable EEPROM saving.

Opublikowany : 02/01/2017 12:06 am
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

There will be a reason why EEPROM saving is disabled. When you find out, can you please let us know!

Thanks

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Opublikowany : 02/01/2017 12:15 am
luma
 luma
(@luma)

There will be a reason why EEPROM saving is disabled. When you find out, can you please let us know!
Short version - EEPROM saving is intentionally disabled because it's broken. The assertion seems to be that the PID values as shipped are correct and thus should not need to be changed, which is demonstrably untrue.

I've gone pretty far down the rabbit hole on this. Building the firmware with current releases of the Arduino IDE is broken because of an error that was resolved in Marlin nearly a year ago. The instructions Prusa provides in the Github are hilariously incomplete and don't work at all. The EEPROM saving ifdefs are commented out in the source code. If you attempt to enable them, the code no longer compiles, and if you fix those errors, it doesn't work anyway.

For anyone looking to compile the firmware: This github issue comment outlines the process very well. With that setup you can change the default settings to a value that actually works on your printer while we wait for EEPROM saving to be re-enabled.

For anyone looking to fix their PID values: It seems that using GCODE in your slicer or print server might be the best option for the moment.

Opublikowany : 02/01/2017 2:39 am
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

Thanks for the update on this!

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Opublikowany : 03/01/2017 7:31 am
cyberreefguru
(@cyberreefguru)
Eminent Member

If I insert a M92 to adjust my extruder esteps in my start up code will it stick for the whole print? When I was doing it manually via octoprint, the temporary nature of M92 seemed very temporary - like didn't survive individual extrude commands. In fact, I seem to get apparently random behavior of the "stickiness" of the M92 command. Thoughts?

-Tom

Engineer. Designer Maker. Fiercely unapologetic. Studying the art of subtle. Failing. Be Inspired. Stock MK2 - Orange because it's cool ;)Visit my channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/cyberreefguru

Opublikowany : 04/01/2017 10:46 pm
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

Tom

It will stick until another M92 command is issues or the printer is power cycled.

I know this from personal experience (my filament drive pulley is rather small and requires 175.5 s/mm)

Peter

Opublikowany : 04/01/2017 10:54 pm
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

Also the first beta test of the multi-material upgrade used standard drive pulleys which differed in size.

I used the M92 command after each tool.

I suspect that when testing the extrusion via OctoPrint, you will need to set to relative extrusion, that is issue an M83 command:

T0
M92 E161.3
M83
G1 E100 F300

{T0 is default, so you won't need it}

Peter

Opublikowany : 04/01/2017 10:59 pm
cyberreefguru
(@cyberreefguru)
Eminent Member

Hmmm, I'll look into that. Thanks Peter!

Engineer. Designer Maker. Fiercely unapologetic. Studying the art of subtle. Failing. Be Inspired. Stock MK2 - Orange because it's cool ;)Visit my channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/cyberreefguru

Opublikowany : 05/01/2017 12:07 am
Share: