Why does my Z-axis go up to 210mm in stead of 200mm?

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
maarten.k
(@maarten-k)
Eminent Member

Hi all

I've got my kit a week now, had some successful prints but still dialling it in. (And learning the basics :))

I've noticed that even after a calibration and autohome, the Z height can go up to 210mm. But there is not enough room for that. So the motors start skipping. Naturally when you go back down to zero, the nozzle crashes.

What causes this? Is it a firmware issue? Did I place the Pinda wrong?
Or are you not supposed to manually raise the axis that high (from the settings menu)

Thanks for any help.

Posted : 25/02/2017 2:20 pm
StephanK
(@stephank)
Reputable Member
Re: Why does my Z-axis go up to 210mm in stead of 200mm?

a maximum of 210mm in Z is normal, not all of it is useable though. Subtract Z-Offset and leave some room for Z-Hop (if in use - its a slicer feature)
Once it skips steps, your Z calibration is most likely off, at which point i suggest a recalibrate Z to avoid problems.

In short:
set your slicer to a max height of 200mm - and don't move Z manually past 200mm (unless your printer tells you to) and you will be fine.

Posted : 25/02/2017 9:13 pm
JeffJordan
(@jeffjordan)
Member Moderator
Re: Why does my Z-axis go up to 210mm in stead of 200mm?

which printer do you own ? an i3 mk2 (25x21x20cm build volume) or the old i3 (build volume of 20x20x20cm) ?

let's assume that we are talking about the i3 mk2. otherwise you may be using a wrong firmware for your model.

1st: check that the 10mm rods of the y-axis assembly sit at the bottom of the notches inside the z-frame.
2nd: check that no cables or zip-ties are interfering with the upper bar of the frame.

make sure that when you move your z-axis upwards through the lcd menu, that the x-axis motor end and x-axis idler end reach the z-axis top parts.
they should do this with a ratteling noise and your display should show "210.0" then.
this will calibrate the top of the z-axis.

now when you move the z-axis downwards, your nozzle should remain approx. 0.5mm above the heatbed when you see a "000.0" at the display.
if it reaches the printbed at 010.0, then you've got either another printer or severe construction issues with your build.

dem inscheniör is' nix zu schwör...

Posted : 25/02/2017 9:25 pm
Share: