Is it possible to use the hotend heater cartridge of the MK3(24V) in the MK2(12V) using a 12V a 24V step up converter?

Notifications
Clear all

Is it possible to use the hotend heater cartridge of the MK3(24V) in the MK2(12V) using a 12V a 24V step up converter?  

RSS
Juanma Gandarias
(@juanma-gandarias)

Hello,

The cable of the hotend heater cartridge of my Prusa mk2 just broke.
Prusa isn't selling this component anymore.

I'm wondering if I can use the hotend heater cartridge of the MK3 (24V) instead.
The problem is the voltage because MK2 works at 12V.

Is it possible to use the MK3 cartridge if I add a 12V to 24V step-up converter to increase the output voltage of the board?
Would I have the same performance I had with the original MK2 cartridge?
Would it damage the printer?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Opublikowany : 08/12/2022 8:08 pm
Thomas Lynch
(@thomas-lynch)
Estimable Member
RE: Is it possible to use the hotend heater cartridge of the MK3(24V) in the MK2(12V) using a 12V a 24V step up converter?

The short answer is NO. You can't just dump 24V into a board that was made to run at 12V. The board controls more than just your hotend. If you put 24V into the other components they will just burn out. If you want to do this you will have to find a way to put 24V from a new source to heat just the hotend and still be under control of the 12V board. I don't know if that is possible.

Tom

Opublikowany : 08/12/2022 10:17 pm
René
(@rene-3)
Reputable Member
RE: Is it possible to use the hotend heater cartridge of the MK3(24V) in the MK2(12V) using a 12V a 24V step up converter?

The 12 volt versions are still for sale at E3D.

https://e3d-online.com/products/standard-heater-cartridge

Opublikowany : 16/12/2022 8:09 am
Share: