Notifications
Clear all

Simplify3D (S3D) settings for the Original Prusa i3 printers  

Strona 4 / 18
  RSS
cristian.s
(@cristian-s)
Trusted Member
Re: Simplify3D print settings (July 14, 2016)

Let me put this another way:

Has anyone been able to successfully find the retraction settings for S3D?

Edit: found Raymond's settings in this thread, giving them a go.

Opublikowany : 10/08/2016 9:24 pm
Anzen polubić
cristian.s
(@cristian-s)
Trusted Member

Eureka!
Raymond's retraction settings did the trick!

I also reduced the "allowed perimeter overlap" as suggested by someone on this thread to 10% from 25%.
My Adalinda (sliced with S3D) failed yesterday with a horrible shift which hopefully was caused by this setting(it was reported that this high a value leads to the nozzle knocking prints over).

Opublikowany : 10/08/2016 10:07 pm
cristian.s
(@cristian-s)
Trusted Member

I printed 3Dbenchy instead and it seems that retraction is not 100% fixed.
There are still blobs on the surface just a lot lot smaller.

Oh, and the stringing... lots and lots of that.

🙁

Opublikowany : 11/08/2016 10:29 pm
Nigel
(@nigel)
Honorable Member

Has any of this been discussed with Simplyfy 3D developers? It is in there interest to have good settings for many 3D mainstream printers like the Prusa I3 Mk2. Otherwise people will abandon Simplyfy 3D.

Nigel
Life is keeping interested and excited by knowledge and new things.

Opublikowany : 12/08/2016 4:11 am
richard.l
(@richard-l)
Member Moderator

I would assume that S3D gets the printer settings from the manufacturers. Something along the lines of "if you want your printer to be listed you have to provide us with the settings". I also wouldn't be surprised if they required a little palm greasing as well.

Opublikowany : 12/08/2016 4:49 pm
cristian.s
(@cristian-s)
Trusted Member

I just posted a support ticket asking them if they will officially support this printer.

But I assume I'll get some silly answer like go to prusa3d.com/drivers/ and download the latest profile from the maker blah blah...

Opublikowany : 12/08/2016 4:57 pm
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

There is an on-going issue with S3D.

Starting in this post: http://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk2-f23/issues-with-fw-3-0-6rc-t1396-s10.html#p10888 bu Vojta:

We are having some issues internally with the G-codes generated by Simplify3D

Later in the thread, Janis wrote to S3D and received their standard cop-out: http://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk2-f23/issues-with-fw-3-0-6rc-t1396-s30.html#p10991 and then Vojta's explanation of the responst here: http://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk2-f23/issues-with-fw-3-0-6rc-t1396-s30.html#p11049

It does rather give the impression that S3D are of the opinion that they know best (better than Josef....!!!) and that they will not make any attempts to assist.

Peter

P.S. Yes, I am not a fan of S3D and I may be being a tad harsh 😉

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Opublikowany : 12/08/2016 10:02 pm
cristian.s
(@cristian-s)
Trusted Member

Yes, I got something similar from them.
They said they are not involved with making the S3D profile for the Prusa but if I want they can "assist me" with using the settings the community has provided. As if I couldn't import a profile by myself 🙂

But yeah, their support is less than stellar. The software is solid however, or seems that way.

Opublikowany : 13/08/2016 8:02 am
Vojtěch Bubník
(@vojtech-bubnik)
Member Admin

I received a helpful response on August 9th from S3D on the topic of Z-up before XY fast move to the starting position:

> I did a bit more digging, and it is possible to do what you're looking for. Instead of using the retraction vertical lift, you can use the [current_Z_position] > variable in the layer change script to move up to the Z-height of the upcoming layer. The layer change script is inserted after the final retraction (if
> there's a retract on layer change) but before the rapid move to next start point. So you could add the following to your Layer Change Script to get the > functionality you're looking for:
>
> G1 [current_Z_position] F(your preferred z feedrate here)

I did not have time to try that myself, but it sounds promising and it shall replace the "{REPLACE G1 Z;G4\nG1 Z}" sequence I proposed as a workaround.

It will have an effect of a dupliacate G1 Z line in the G-code, but the 2nd G1 Z line will do nothing, as the 1st line will do the layer change and at the time the 2nd G1 Z line is processed, the machine has reached the new layer already.

So in regard to the S3D support, it took a couple of e-mails, but at the end they were helpful.

Vojtech

Opublikowany : 13/08/2016 7:16 pm
ayourk
(@ayourk)
Reputable Member

I received a helpful response on August 9th from S3D on the topic of Z-up before XY fast move to the starting position:

> I did a bit more digging, and it is possible to do what you're looking for. Instead of using the retraction vertical lift, you can use the [current_Z_position] > variable in the layer change script to move up to the Z-height of the upcoming layer. The layer change script is inserted after the final retraction (if
> there's a retract on layer change) but before the rapid move to next start point. So you could add the following to your Layer Change Script to get the > functionality you're looking for:
>

Vojtech

I look forward to what I should have in my Layer Change Script instead of using the REPLACE command.

Dimensions PNG

and an 8 inch (200mm) or greater caliper is recommended.

Opublikowany : 14/08/2016 10:04 am
kevin.b2
(@kevin-b2)
Trusted Member

I've created a new sub-reddit for those of you on Reddit so we can more easily keep track of the best slicer settings and people's feedback to them. The main motivation for this is the nice upvoting system on reddit. I plan to compile feedback into weekly releases on the slicer settings and sticky them to the top of the page for all to access.

Check it out here: https://www.reddit.com/r/PrusaSlicerSettings/

Opublikowany : 15/08/2016 1:03 am
cristian.s
(@cristian-s)
Trusted Member

I was looking at the pre-sliced Adalinda g-code that comes with the printer and I was comparing it with what Prusa's Slic3r spits out with the normal profile.
It looks like there is a difference: the g-code in question seems to have a 1.5mm retraction setting:
G1 E-1.50000 F2100.0000

While Slic3r comes configured with a 0.8mm.

I remember reading that this setting can cause jams on the E3Dv6 hotend.
Does anyone know more?

Opublikowany : 18/08/2016 11:56 am
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

Cristian

The original pre-sliced GCodes do have retraction set to 1.5mm, which was the default in the early Mk2 Slic3r profiles.

However, it was found that with some extruders this retraction value caused blockages. I had thought that the distributed GCode files had been re-sliced and were included in the driver download. I have seen instructions somewhere to replace the files on the SD card with those later files.

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Opublikowany : 18/08/2016 1:06 pm
cristian.s
(@cristian-s)
Trusted Member

Oops.
OK, that makes sense :).

Thanks

L.E.
Funny story, I checked the 3D Objects folder that came with the latest drivers package(June 21st) and it still contains a 1.5mm retraction Adalinda g-code file.

Opublikowany : 18/08/2016 9:10 pm
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

Cristian

Yeah, I am not totally surprised. I think there has been such a frenzy at PR over the past couple of months, that may have been forgotten about.

There was definitely an instruction to replace the GCode files on the SD card though, but that was probably before the retraction issue came to light.

Peter

Opublikowany : 18/08/2016 9:27 pm
cristian.s
(@cristian-s)
Trusted Member

For the record I used those g-codes several times without any jams.

Opublikowany : 19/08/2016 6:22 am
cristian.s
(@cristian-s)
Trusted Member

>

I did not have time to try that myself, but it sounds promising and it shall replace the "{REPLACE G1 Z;G4\nG1 Z}" sequence I proposed as a workaround.

It will have an effect of a dupliacate G1 Z line in the G-code, but the 2nd G1 Z line will do nothing, as the 1st line will do the layer change and at the time the 2nd G1 Z line is processed, the machine has reached the new layer already.

So in regard to the S3D support, it took a couple of e-mails, but at the end they were helpful.

Vojtech

Hi Vojtěch,

Could you maybe post your Simplify3D profile?

Opublikowany : 19/08/2016 7:08 am
johnny.y
(@johnny-y)

Hi,

I'm not sure it's been discussed but I can't print over USB in Simplify3d. Is this a known issue?

I don't have issues with printing over SD but occasionally i have some small print parts that won't take hours to make.

Thanks!

Opublikowany : 23/08/2016 7:03 pm
ayourk
(@ayourk)
Reputable Member

I personally have never tried to use Simplify3D over USB. I just always have Simplify3D auto upload to my octopi and print from there.

Dimensions PNG

and an 8 inch (200mm) or greater caliper is recommended.

Opublikowany : 24/08/2016 1:50 am
davor.o
(@davor-o)

I have Prusa i3 MK2 with firmware 3.0.7.
I have downloaded the latest settings file for Simplify3D (the RC3 one), and I have imported the .fff file successfully into Simplify3D 3.1.0.
From there, I also imported a .stl model and chose the correct profile ("Original Prusa i3 MK2").

However, when I try to print via USB, the printer resets the fans, but does nothing else, and after 10-15 seconds a message comes up saying that the connection to the printer was unsuccessful.
Similarly, if I write the .gcode to the SD card and print from there, the printer does nothing.

Any hints?

Opublikowany : 26/08/2016 1:55 pm
Strona 4 / 18
Share: