Notifications
Clear all

Simplify3D (S3D) settings for the Original Prusa i3 printers  

Strona 3 / 18
  RSS
Mike C
(@mike-c-2)
Eminent Member
Re: Simplify3D print settings (July 14, 2016)

I tried putting G80 into the long running commands and the print never started after calibration, using Octoprint.

Opublikowany : 17/07/2016 6:18 am
andreas.s2
(@andreas-s2)
Eminent Member

Hi guys!
I am sharing my S3D ABS settings with you.
I took the slic3r settings from Josef and incorporated them to S3D. Also, I reduced the retraction move to 0.5 because that is the value, that the creators of E3D suggested us to use, if we do not want any blocked hotend. I also set the FAN speed to 0%, because of warping effects.
I hope it will be usefull for you guys.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8psz2juygvviyf8/ABS%200.2%20Normal%20retract.fff?dl=0

Opublikowany : 23/07/2016 8:08 am
Dimitri Modderman
(@dimitri-modderman)

Thanks Andreas,

Will test them out soon!

Opublikowany : 24/07/2016 10:38 pm
rayc
 rayc
(@rayc)

Hi All,

Loving this printer + 3.0.5 Firmware, works a treat! It hasn't stopped since I built it on Friday.

The latest S3D profile (RC3 July 18th) prints really well out of the box for me, few things I did have to tweak (for PLA anyway);

Speed override adjust for layers below 25 seconds (was 15) and I increased the min speed 5% - 35% (similar to slic3ers 15mm/s)

Increase infill overlap a touch 21% - 25%

Increase retraction 0.8 - 1.0mm and speed 1800 - 2400mm/min (slic3r is ~2100mm/min I think)

Add Z hop (Retraction Vertical Lift) 0 - 0.15mm (same as slic3r z hop profile)

Reduced coast a tiny bit 0.2 - 0.15mm

Added a few more materials, NGEN, NINJAFLEX and TAULMAN ALLOY 910 (I've not tested any of these yet, just a best guess based on recommended temps and cooling, waiting for filament delivery! 😀 )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_qvhwVkHIABRVBwRE56NzVJMFk/view?usp=sharing

Hopefully this will be useful for you guys

Opublikowany : 25/07/2016 1:21 am
zach.c
(@zach-c)
Eminent Member

The latest profile works good for me as well except there's tiny minor stringing issue ... which i think retraction should be higher. Will try out your setting , Raymond 🙂

Opublikowany : 25/07/2016 8:47 am
George
(@george-5)

Thanks for posting the settings. They have helped a lot. I did run into one problem, Using PET, 0.10mm layers, 0.4 nozzle, the part was shreadded by the nozzle after the first layer. Has anyone else run into this? If I set the layer to 0.2mm, S3D did fine.

Opublikowany : 26/07/2016 5:54 am
hathawsh
(@hathawsh)
Eminent Member

George: the printer has a minimum Z height of 0.15mm (or 0.2mm with less current firmware), meaning the printer refuses to go lower even when the G-code says it should. To compensate, when you print layers shorter than 0.15mm (or 0.2mm), you need to tell the slicer to make the first layer thicker than the rest of the layers. Otherwise the printer will try to print two layers at the same height, which is often catastrophic for PET. (PLA can usually bear the abuse; not sure about ABS and other materials.)

Opublikowany : 29/07/2016 7:31 pm
David T.
(@david-t)
Noble Member

With ABS it is not really catastrophic, but there are only some minor issues with adhesion. The printer tries to print 0,2mm layer while it assumes it is only 0,15mm and then it prints 0,15mm layer while it thinks it is 0,2mm. The problem is easily solved by adjusting first layer height to 0,2mm in slicer (corresponding to reality). Then everything goes fine.

Opublikowany : 29/07/2016 10:55 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Hi Josef,

what happened to the Mk1 Settings? Have they moved somewhere else, I was sure they were in the first post at one time!

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Opublikowany : 30/07/2016 2:48 am
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

Joan

The Mk1 settings are in the original forum: http://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/print-tips-slic3r-settings-kisslicer-model-repair--f12/simplify3d-settings-t337.html

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Opublikowany : 30/07/2016 10:54 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Thanks Peter
Missed the obvious.

Joan.

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Opublikowany : 30/07/2016 7:28 pm
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

Joan

Nothing is obvious anymore...

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Opublikowany : 30/07/2016 9:21 pm
andreas.s2
(@andreas-s2)
Eminent Member

The last setting from Josef does not work at all!!! I spend over 300 gr. of filament until I found out, that the "Allowed perimeter overlap" of 25% rips off the model after printing some heights from the bed!!!!
Is this tested at all?
I changed it back to 10% and also changed back the "allowed speed reductions down to" 20% because this gave really bad results on the Elephant I was printing. I tested Josefs setting on three different models several times. Every single model was ripped off the bed after a while due to this bad perimeter overlap. Now it works again.

Opublikowany : 31/07/2016 7:03 am
zach.c
(@zach-c)
Eminent Member

Anybody has tested setting for ColorFabb Ngen ? I've got some samples Ngen and XT and XT CF to print 🙂

Opublikowany : 05/08/2016 9:06 am
jhoff80
(@jhoff80)
Trusted Member

How much higher is safe to increase the retraction settings? I've seen comments saying that too high causes it to jam, but when trying to use Monoprice's wood PLA filament, literally the entire print was covered in strings. (More stringiness than the actual model printed). Right now I've got it set to 1mm like in the settings in the most recent user-modified settings posted by Raymond.

Opublikowany : 08/08/2016 3:12 am
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

Joe

I have found that wood filament is exceedingly stringy and that generally increasing retractions does not stop the strings.

I have been using 1.5mm retraction on the V6 hot ends, but that caused a jam with the Mk2. After rebuilding the hot end, I am now using 1.5mm with no problems.

Peter

Opublikowany : 08/08/2016 9:30 am
cristian.s
(@cristian-s)
Trusted Member

I've had 2 issues with the S3D settings:
1. major: Seems the extruder knocks off the top layers of larger builds. I didn't have this issue with the preloaded gcodes.
2. medium: no matter what I do, there are tiny blobs of material on the surface, I tried lowering the temperature but it didn't help. I guess retraction needs to be tweaked but how much?

I think I will give Slic3r a go but I am hopeful we will find the right settings for S3D as well.
What I like about it over Slic3r for example is the manual supports. And the plethora of options which it seems I don't know how to use :)) (so a plus and a minus there!)

Opublikowany : 10/08/2016 5:06 pm
cristian.s
(@cristian-s)
Trusted Member

I've had 2 issues with the S3D settings:

2. medium: no matter what I do, there are tiny blobs of material on the surface, I tried lowering the temperature but it didn't help. I guess retraction needs to be tweaked but how much?

I think I will give Slic3r a go...

Tried Slic3r from Prusa, the blobs are indeed gone so it is something to do with the settings.
As the configuration is different in Slic3r and Simplify3D and I have no experience with the first I find it hard to reproduce the settings.

I used 3DBenchy, printed 10-20% of it and looked for the blobs which seem to happen at the end of line(or maybe at the beginning?).

As far as I can tell, these are the relevant settings:

VS.

One thing I notice is the difference in retraction speed: 1800 mm/min vs 2100 mm/min.

I also found this:

The travel distance before retracting in Slic3r seems to be 1mm while in S3D is 3mm.

Opublikowany : 10/08/2016 8:42 pm
Cipis
(@cipis)

Every slicer handles retraction differently. Even with the same settings results are different. In the S3D, you can try modifying coast at end and wipe settings to minimize blobs.

Opublikowany : 10/08/2016 9:01 pm
cristian.s
(@cristian-s)
Trusted Member

Yeah, that's what I have been doing, based on the instructions on their website with almost no results.
I actually managed to create gaps in layers and the blobs are still there.

What is bugging me is that Slic3r gets it right on default settings. Wish I could understand what the differences are.

Opublikowany : 10/08/2016 9:07 pm
Strona 3 / 18
Share: