Notifications
Clear all

Simplify3D (S3D) settings for the Original Prusa i3 printers  

Page 14 / 18
  RSS
LDoubleE
(@ldoublee)
Eminent Member
Re: Simplify3D print settings (August 30, 2016)

Regarding your resonance issue, I noticed amazing improvements in resonance artifacts by simply replacing my smooth Y-Idler with a HIGH QUALITY ( very important...) Toothed idler. people debate this all the time. but in my experience atleast, it helped quite a bit.[/quote]

Have a link to buy one?

Posted : 13/06/2017 9:14 pm
john.m7
(@john-m7)
Eminent Member

HI

Does anyone have a good profile for Simplify3d for using filaflex with the MK2 ?
I've kind of got it not gunking now lol so I'd like to try slicing with S3D rather than the Slicr to see if I get more luck

Many thanks

J

Posted : 27/06/2017 10:51 am
abc123
(@abc123)

Playing around a little more with my FFF profile, going through some of Philips and my setup and that of Joseph, this is the final profile I came up with.

Images of the 3d benchy, though I chose the wrong x/y positioning. I think the print quality is at it's optimal stage for 0.2

Any feedback from anyone to improve on it am all ears.

Thank you

My profile Xray965 Final.zip

Note: I have a Gcode script with a 9 point calibration variable that you may need to remove and add your numbers instead to compensate for the 9 point inaccuracy on the bed.

Also I dont like having very high print speeds, it just induces more resonance on the print machine, and more wear and tear overall on the machine, the print speeds on the machine have not been touched and are based on the original Prusa Profile from JP.

How can i find the values for my auto mesh bed leveling, ended up going with

G80 ; mesh bed leveling

for bed leveling,
full script starting code:

M115 U3.0.9 ; tell the printer latest firmware varsion available
M104 S[extruder0_temperature] T0 ; this will take the layer 1 temperature for extruder 0
M140 S[bed1_temperature] ; this will take the layer 1 temperature for bed 0
M190 S[bed1_temperature] ; wait for bed temp
M109 S[extruder0_temperature] T0 ; wait for extruder temp
G28 W ; home all without mesh bed level
G80 ; mesh bed leveling
G1 F1000.0 ; set feed rate
G1 Y-3.0 F1000.0 ; go outside printing area
G1 E5 ; Prime the filament
G1 X60.0 E5.0 ; Extrude intro line
G1 X120.0 E12.5 ; Extrude intro line

Posted : 04/07/2017 4:08 pm
Matt3o
(@matt3o)
Trusted Member

New version of my S3D profile

It took me weeks of tweaking to reach this new version and I've got what I think is a very good general purpose base config.

You can find it here on github or download it below.

Since everybody likes some benchy here it is (I'll post more soon).

How is it made and what's the difference with the official config?

The 3d printer firmware received various updates and Slic3r Prusa config has been updated multiple times. Unfortunately the S3D settings haven't been updated to reflect the new features, so the official config just seems outdated.

I have taken the official settings and compared them with the latest Slic3r PE. Then I started printing dozens of models altering various parameters until I reached what you see here attached. Some parameters are fine-tuned in 0.01 increments, others by looking directly into the firmware source code.

Important Note for everybody

Remember that each model is different and may need different configuration. What I'm trying to do here is a good middle-ground to get you started. For example I could further improve the quality of the 3DBenchy print but we wouldn't have a general purpose profile anymore.

Also bear in mind that each Prusa is slightly different, especially if you built the kit yourself. The maniacal level of customization I did on the settings also means that they are very much fine tuned to my machine.

You may need to adjust some of the parameters, notably: extrusion multiplier, extrusion width, retraction values and speeds.

Tests have been made exclusively on PLA and should work flawlessy from 0.1 to 0.2 layer height. ABS is supported but not tested as much as PLA. I would need more Prusa printers to speed up the configuration process...

Notes for experts

Extrusion multiplier is set to 95% mostly to prevent blobs. I noticed that a slight underextrusion produces better tiny details. We have 0.44 as extrusion width and 25% as Outline overlap so we should be fine. Please note though that this value very much depends on your 3d printer and you may need to lower/raise this value accordingly.

I've set Support Infill Angles to 0 and 90deg. This is a personal preference, normally they are not crossed but this way they better stick to the plate, especially if they are very tall. Of course, revert to standard supports if you wish.

Prusa settings have default speed to 40mm/s while Slic3r PE is set to 60mm/s, that is quite a difference. I've configured everything for the highest quality possible at the highest speed possible, that means that lowering the Default printing speed can't only produce higher quality stuff. I believe Prusa settings are very conservative because in S3D it's very complicated to fine tune per material and per nozzle size, so they possibly just set a safe value.

Improvements

As much as I tried I still couldn't find the perfect retraction parameters. You could disable retraction altogether to put less stress on the machine, but it seems that best results are obtained with a good dose of retraction. I'll keep experimenting but it's an extremely time consuming task and it has to be done for each material.

Other improvements might be needed in the support material section, bridges and acceleration.

PLEASE help me improve these settings!

I've put many hours and meters of filament on these settings. Please help me improve them by discussing the various parameters. I'm just an informed novice, I'm by no means a 3d printi expert. If you have any suggestion please do share! If you think some option should be different let's talk about it!

Posted : 16/07/2017 12:24 pm
prusayo
(@prusayo)
Reputable Member

New version of my S3D profile

Nice, will this work with MM upgrade?

Posted : 17/07/2017 4:24 am
Matt3o
(@matt3o)
Trusted Member

technically it works but you have to add the other extruders yourself (sorry I don't have a MM)

Posted : 17/07/2017 8:13 am
Matt3o
(@matt3o)
Trusted Member

Simplify 3D v4 has been just released. I had a quick look at it and the new configurations.

Unfortunately I'm very sorry to report that the configuration process is as painful as before. You can't change speed based on the quality profile (fast/medium/high/...) or the filament profile. Still no way to play with acceleration. Gosh, you can't even change the perimeter shells based on the quality profile.

So basically it's all back to editing the XML file by hand all over again.

They rearranged some options in a more logical way, but still you can't really configure it from the UI, so...

Quality wise I can't tell much of a difference from before but I haven't tried it long enough. In the past I had the most issues with support generation, they say it is improved in the release notes, but I haven't seen much improvements so far.

I still have this love-hate relationship with simplify3d and lately I'm using 50% Cura, 30% Slic3r PE, 20% S3D based on the model. With the sole difference that S3D is a paid product.

Posted : 27/07/2017 9:26 am
fl0PPsy
(@fl0ppsy)
Eminent Member

I still have this love-hate relationship with simplify3d and lately I'm using 50% Cura, 30% Slic3r PE, 20% S3D based on the model. With the sole difference that S3D is a paid product.

Interesting that you mention supports. I find that I have much more success with the supports in Simplify3D than any of the others. If I have to print something that needs supports then I tend to go for Simplify3D and for everything else I use Sli3cer.

What makes you use Cura that much?

I've had a love-hate relationship with Cura so I'm just curious to hear other peoples opinion.

Posted : 27/07/2017 9:36 am
Matt3o
(@matt3o)
Trusted Member

I've had a love-hate relationship with Cura so I'm just curious to hear other peoples opinion.

I'll do better, I'll show you! 🙂

Wonderfully generated supports in Cura

vs messy on S3D

Generally when the model is a bit complicated, has a lot of overhang (and not properly optimized for filament printers) CURA does a way better job. YMMV.

Posted : 27/07/2017 1:21 pm
fl0PPsy
(@fl0ppsy)
Eminent Member

I think I might have to give Cura another look.

A lot of the quad parts I print need supports so I'm always trying to find ways to improve the quality of those sorts of prints.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Posted : 28/07/2017 5:30 am
Magnazan
(@magnazan)

I use your S3D settings and they are superb. I usually switch between Slic3r and S3D but would be keen to see how the latest Curas go. Do you plan on releasing any profiles for Cura matteo.s2?

I'll do better, I'll show you! 🙂

Wonderfully generated supports in Cura

vs messy on S3D

Generally when the model is a bit complicated, has a lot of overhang (and not properly optimized for filament printers) CURA does a way better job. YMMV.

Posted : 17/08/2017 9:53 pm
bobby.l
(@bobby-l)

I just received my MK2S and using matteo's FFF in Simplify3D v4.0 produced very good results with the 3DBenchy model. I'm hard pressed to find any real flaws and it was printing at 60mm/s, 0.15mm layer height. Didn't change any settings.

I need to do some additional testing as I noticed the 0.95 extrusion multiplier and 0.44 nozzle size differ slightly from normal settings, so not sure how that would impact part-size accuracy.

Thanks.

Posted : 16/09/2017 3:50 am
Ido
 Ido
(@ido)
Trusted Member

@matteo.s2 thank you so much for sharing your simplify3D profile settings, glad to have all the print qualities back again.

There is however an issue with oozing. Within S3D 4.0 there is also a prusa profile which handles oozing pretty well.

See these result (ps sorry for the camera quality)
Left = S3D prusa profile
Middle = your profile
Right = your profile but with the ooze settings from S3D prusa profile

?dl=0

As you can see the oozing is much better in the right model. Perhaps it can be an improvement for your profile?

ps. the print model i used is this one https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2219103

Posted : 17/09/2017 3:29 pm
MTJC
 MTJC
(@mtjc)
Trusted Member

Since everybody likes some benchy here it is (I'll post more soon).

Interestingly, you suffer from the same artifact as I that presents itself on the benchy here. (it also shows up on other prints with curved surfaces that are tangential with the absolute x and y axis directions).

and yet there are others without this issue such as here:

Posted : 01/10/2017 3:52 am
Nomad965
(@nomad965)
Trusted Member

@MTIJC I think what you are referring to is not a fault, its where you want to set your print point at start and end of print of layer, I hide it in the least visible places.

Also here is is my latest ABS printer profile based on my earlier PLA profile, this is fine tuned for printing ABS, I used Skirt / Brim instead of Raft, since raft causes part shrinkage at the base of the part and the top of the raft, (Adhesion point)

I did not use any glue or any type of adhesion additive to the PEI sheet on the printer.

I also suggest running the printer in an enclosure to stop drafts and various temp drops in the room.

Enclosure really helps with ABS as it helps with the cooling process to be gradual as opposed to a shock temp change when printing is over.

Here are picks of the print with some parts I designed for my CNC mill, all printed at 40mm/s I may test later faster printing speeds.

Parts designed at 20mm in Fusion 360 final printed part off the bed comes to 19.99mm sometimes goes to 19.97mm but nothing more.

I can fine tune this on the Software with % scaling if I really need it, but happy with the Profile.

Prusa i3 MK2s MK2.5s Mk3 Mk3s BearPrusa Zaribo 320 - Kit Build - Rc Driver - Tweak freak...
“I know nothing about surpassing others. I only know how to outdo myself.” -Bushido-

Posted : 01/10/2017 9:19 pm
MTJC
 MTJC
(@mtjc)
Trusted Member

@MTIJC I think what you are referring to is not a fault, its where you want to set your print point at start and end of print of layer, I hide it in the least visible places.

Hi Xray965. Despite how it appears in the photo, it's not a seam (start/stop) line and if you have this problem, you'd notice it's the exact same on the other side of the benchy.

Out of interest though, do you use stock lm8uu bearings or igus? Thanks.

Posted : 03/10/2017 9:33 am
Panayiotis
(@panayiotis)

Hi Xray965. Despite how it appears in the photo, it's not a seam (start/stop) line and if you have this problem, you'd notice it's the exact same on the other side of the benchy.

I have exactly the same problem and I haven't yet locate the source. It is the most annoying, when I need to print precise parts with XT-CF20.
The only suggestion I've found on the internet is that it is backlash issue at one or two of the X and Y belts. I have checked from almost loose to very tight and the problem is still there.

Posted : 29/10/2017 2:58 am
MTJC
 MTJC
(@mtjc)
Trusted Member

I have exactly the same problem and I haven't yet locate the source. It is the most annoying, when I need to print precise parts with XT-CF20.
The only suggestion I've found on the internet is that it is backlash issue at one or two of the X and Y belts. I have checked from almost loose to very tight and the problem is still there.

As nice as it is to know it's not just me, sorry to hear that you suffer the same problem. 🙁

I have actually since sold my mk2 and purchased an mk3, in part because i could not figure out how to resolve the issue. I tried all manner of belt tension strengths and it did not make a bit of difference.

Posted : 29/10/2017 5:37 am
JeffJordan
(@jeffjordan)
Member Moderator

❓ any updated s3d profiles available using the linear advance option ?

dem inscheniör is' nix zu schwör...

Posted : 22/11/2017 11:08 pm
PeP
 PeP
(@pep)

Based on Josef's last post, it looks really simple to implement Linear Advance with S3D :

The K values (the parameter affecting how much Linear Advance affects the print) we measured and tested are as follows:

PLA: M900 K30
ABS: M900 K30
PET: M900 K45
Multi material printer: M900 K200 for all materials
These values are preset in our Slic3r PE. The K value is set in custom gcode section in the Filament Settings tab, NOT under the printer specific custom gcode. PrusaControl uses the same K values but will not allow users editing.

Simplify3D, Cura, … users just need to add “M900 K??” into the starting gcode script. Keep in mind you need to manually change that for different filament materials. Only Slic3r PE has custom gcode for each filament preset and therefore K value is changed automatically.

Posted : 23/11/2017 6:03 pm
Page 14 / 18
Share: