Normally print PLA. Tried print PETG now it always goes to 230/85 degrees and other issues

Notifications
Clear all

Normally print PLA. Tried print PETG now it always goes to 230/85 degrees and other issues  

RSS
dj_segfault
(@dj_segfault)

Preface: I just changed my nozzle (for same standard size) for the first time. Don't know if that's involved or not but putting it out there.  That seems to have gone fine.

I was an idiot and tried two experiments in one shot, the new nozzle, and printing something from a roll of PETG that I got.  I took an STL I printed before in PLA and loaded it into Prusaslicer and told it to use PETG settings.  The print failed (didn't extrude right) so I tried printing something else I've printed before. Fed in the same GCODE file from the last time I printed it, but the printer wants to go to 230/85 again instead of 210/60.  I even powered it off and on and it still wants to go to the PETG temperature.  I also tried telling it I was going to load PLA and it still wanted 230/85.  Has anyone seen that? 

It also complains about Z axis, so I have a theory I might have moved the PINDA when I changed the nozzle, but I feel that's bad but unrelated to the temperature issue.

Thanks

Posted : 06/11/2021 4:58 am
Diem
 Diem
(@diem)
Illustrious Member
RE: Normally print PLA. Tried print PETG now it always goes to 230/85 degrees and other issues

I just changed my nozzle (for same standard size)

It also complains about Z axis

Did you remember to recalibrate your first layer Z?  It will differ from the old, worn out one.  From time to time, as the new one wears down, you will need to calibrate yet again.

Fed in the same GCODE file

The temperature settings are set in the GCODE file.  When you slice and export GCODE you are telling the printer how to print it as well as what to print.  The GCODE for the same object in PLA will be different from that for the object in PETG.

If you want a handy reminder you can go to Print Settings > Output options and insert:

{filament_type[0]}

into the Output filename format definition.  Henceforward the filament type will be included in the GCODE file name.  You will need to be in expert mode to do this. 

Cheerio,

Posted : 06/11/2021 12:56 pm
dj_segfault
(@dj_segfault)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Normally print PLA. Tried print PETG now it always goes to 230/85 degrees and other issues

I did do that afterwards because I noticed when it was doing the 9-point Z calibration before printing it was touching the build plate in the front and not the back.  I think the new nozzle is taller.  I wasn't able to find a good setting because it got late but I will try again today.

(temp set by GCODE) Yes that's why I was confused when I fed in old GCODE that worked for PLA previously and it still wanted to go to PETG temperatures.

I'm really hoping that either I was just imagining it touching the plate in the front but not the back because that would be really bad. 

Thanks

Posted : 06/11/2021 3:07 pm
Diem
 Diem
(@diem)
Illustrious Member

Er, one horribly-easy-to-forget thing to check:

Is there anything under the build plate or stuck to the back?  Even a tiny scrap of stringing can be enpugh to throw alignment off.

Cheerio,

Posted : 06/11/2021 11:52 pm
dj_segfault
(@dj_segfault)
Topic starter answered:

FYI the problem with the temperature has resolved itself by leaving the printer off for a bit.  Maybe restarting it doesn't clear all the memory out, but at least it's going for PLA temperatures now.

Thanks Diem.  I've cleaned the hot plate off a few time, and I'm noticing small scratches/pits in a few places from having the print head press down.  I've been trying to calibrate first layer and best I can get is a thin inconsistent line. I think my next step is try a full bed leveling ( https://help.prusa3d.com/en/article/bed-level-correction_2267/) , but that sounds pretty drastic.  Also contemplating lowering the PINDA a bit because maybe the height distance between the tip of the nozzle to the tip of the PINDA matters.

Either way, this thread no longer matches the subject line, so if the bed leveling doesn't help and I'm still stuck, I will start a new thread.

Thank you all for your help.

Posted : 07/11/2021 4:22 pm
Share: