Unofficial Prusa Mini Wait Thread  

Page 225 / 241
  RSS
Cashew92ftw
(@cashew92ftw)
Trusted Member
RE: Unofficial Prusa Mini Wait Thread

@schnoidz

IMO about the cleaning kits, they seem like a good idea, but i have 3d party nozzles for my first printer. I think i spent like under $10 and i got a bunch of nozzles and different diammeters. So im of the mindset if i suspect a clog, i just change nozzles. There are a few different styles of nozzles and i made the mistake of buying the wrong type first XD i believe the type that the mini uses is V6.  Different diammeters have the advantage of different surface quality and speed. Which is proportional being larger holes printing faster thicker lines.

If you were to get more prusament id say adding to this order would be likley ideal, as you saw amazon upcharges for it. Ive never used prusament before, but am excited to see what they hype was for/new colours to try.

What i had ment about sticking to a manufacturer was for if you were looking at say esun, matterhackers or anyone else, to buy a few rolls from them, untill your comfortable with your settings. If you wanted to go for a non-prusa brand filament. But i suspect for ease of use, prusa will have the least complications.

Noob thing to remember. Your filament (nozzles, and anything else filament related) is 1.75mm, DO NOT buy stuff for 2.85mm or 3mm as that filament and equipment should be incompatible with your printer as is.

Orange Juice Please

Publié : 02/03/2021 1:40 am
Schnoidz
(@schnoidz)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the nozzle info.  That makes perfect sense.

Publié : 02/03/2021 2:18 am
Cashew92ftw
(@cashew92ftw)
Trusted Member

@schnoidz

If you were to get into more exotic stuff thats when i would look into nozzle types like hardened steel or possibly the ruby nozzle. But for normal printing of petg, tpu, and pla (id avoid materials with inclusions like wood filled due to wear and clogging being more of a factor) brass nozzles should be good enough. 

I dont know the specifics, but i read somewhere that e3d v6 nozzles may have a different melting chamber, but i dont see if thats true to be of much impact for normal 3d printing.

Not sure if your framiliar with the rasberry pi, but thats about the only other thing to consider while you wait for your printer.

Orange Juice Please

Publié : 02/03/2021 2:25 am
Schnoidz
(@schnoidz)
Trusted Member

@cashew92ftw

I have an unused Raspberry Pi 3 B+ sitting on the shelf that needs a use.  I do plan on printing TPU for various drone parts, once I learn to print and create.

Publié : 02/03/2021 2:34 am
Cashew92ftw a aimé
Cashew92ftw
(@cashew92ftw)
Trusted Member

@schnoidz

Regarding the rasberry pi, (im just starting to learn about it) there is something called octopi, which would allow you to remotely access the printer. I cant really tell you more about it as im un-informed of the details. 

Youtube is a great source to learn about how to get framiliar with octopi, filament types, how to tune settings and answer questions you didnt even know you had 🙂 

Orange Juice Please

Publié : 02/03/2021 3:37 am
_FirstLayer
(@_firstlayer)
Eminent Member

@schnoidz

I can recommend using octopi. You can remotely control and monitor your printer from a browser or from an app (ocotremote) on your phone. You can extend octopi's functionality with plugins too. I'm using it with my MK3S and with my 1st 3d printer I got for christmas 2 years ago. That printer had no SD-Card reader. The only way to use it, was to connect it with USB to a PC, that had to be on during the whole printjob. Octopi really was an addition that made that printer much more usable.

Btw I'm planning on ordering a mini+. Although I had very much fun in building my MK3S, with current leadtimes for the kit version of the mini+, I'm considering buying the preassembled version. I don't think I have the patience to wait 16 weeks to start building my new toy... 😉 

Publié : 02/03/2021 7:50 am
Kamenb
(@kamenb)
Posted by: @mrstoned

@kamenb

I hope so too but i think the preorders will go out in due time as they only updated their deliverytimes in beginning of feb as the kit went live in the store.

My guess is streamlinging kit is challeging and they are getting better at the preassembled version over the last year.

Could possibly be that a half-assembled unit is easier to test and requires less pckaging too.

i just contacted support and obviously there was some confusion about the lead times. they said lead time of 8-9 weeks was about the pre assembled one. my kit ordered on 5th of january is expected to ship at the end of april. i havent got that much time because i have projects to be printed so i kindly asked if i can convert my kit to preassembled one by retaining my original order date and they said it is possible. i just transferred the difference by paypal it was done, after half an hour i got a shipping notification from UPS. that was quick 🙂

Publié : 02/03/2021 2:34 pm
Schnoidz a aimé
Cashew92ftw
(@cashew92ftw)
Trusted Member

Cool, my prusa mini was "produced" in 1975 XD

Orange Juice Please

Publié : 02/03/2021 4:35 pm
Schnoidz
(@schnoidz)
Trusted Member

@cashew92ftw

Wow, that's a long wait for delivery!

Publié : 02/03/2021 4:43 pm
Cashew92ftw a aimé
Cashew92ftw
(@cashew92ftw)
Trusted Member

@schnoidz

So i didnt order additional nozzles, but it does come with an acupuncture needle to help clear nozzle clogs... Again ive never used them before and opt to change the nozzle instead.

Orange Juice Please

Publié : 02/03/2021 4:45 pm
JordanK
(@jordank)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @kamenb
Posted by: @mrstoned

@kamenb

I hope so too but i think the preorders will go out in due time as they only updated their deliverytimes in beginning of feb as the kit went live in the store.

My guess is streamlinging kit is challeging and they are getting better at the preassembled version over the last year.

Could possibly be that a half-assembled unit is easier to test and requires less pckaging too.

i just contacted support and obviously there was some confusion about the lead times. they said lead time of 8-9 weeks was about the pre assembled one. my kit ordered on 5th of january is expected to ship at the end of april. i havent got that much time because i have projects to be printed so i kindly asked if i can convert my kit to preassembled one by retaining my original order date and they said it is possible. i just transferred the difference by paypal it was done, after half an hour i got a shipping notification from UPS. that was quick 🙂

I ordered Dec 30 and I'm going to wait it out for the kit.  I don't care if it doesn't show up until April.  I really think that there is value in putting one of these things together from scratch if this is your first printer.  Adds to the fun and I have lots of time to learn Fusion 360, etc.

Jordan

Publié : 02/03/2021 4:53 pm
Pathstrider a aimé
Schnoidz
(@schnoidz)
Trusted Member

@jordank

I've never used a 3d printer, but as I wait for my Mini to arrive I'm already thinking of buying an "Original Prusa i3 MK3S+ kit" to build. 🙄 

Publié : 02/03/2021 5:00 pm
JordanK a aimé
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Membre
Topic starter answered:

@schnoidz

You will love it.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Publié : 02/03/2021 5:19 pm
Kamenb
(@kamenb)

@jordank

if you can afford to wait thats cool, i would have waited too but not being able to print my designs is going to push my projects way behind of the schedule. i will receive the PCBs for 3 of my projects next week or so and already designed the enclosures/parts for them in fusion 360.  for me end of april delivery is disastrous 🙂

Publié : 02/03/2021 5:26 pm
Zugare
(@zugare)

For what its worth i ordered a kit dec 26 and support said its supposed to ship at the end of this month.

Publié : 02/03/2021 5:48 pm
Kamenb
(@kamenb)

@zugare

to be honest if they have given me the same estimation i would have waited too but another 8 weeks sounded too long for me.

i just wanna appreciate how helpful the customer service was. today i was wondering when am i going to get my printer next week? next month? and later today it was marked as 'shipped' it felt good 🙂

Publié : 02/03/2021 7:51 pm
Schnoidz a aimé
raymate
(@raymate)
Estimable Member

So after a week of my brand new Mini+ working perfect the clicking starts and awful prints.... so I shall move over to the other threads and start the process of trying to fix this 1 week old printer. Wasn't what I wanted to happen.. now I wished I got the MK3

To far to send back from Canada 😪 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prusa Mini+ (Ordered Dec 19,2020 - Arrived Feb 21,2021) stated clicking Mar 2nd / MP Select Mini V2

Publié : 03/03/2021 1:39 am
CraigB
(@craigb)
Eminent Member

@raymate

Sorry to hear that, man.  How many hours were you printing before that happened?

Publié : 03/03/2021 1:52 am
raymate
(@raymate)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @craigb

@raymate

Sorry to hear that, man.  How many hours were you printing before that happened?

About 50 hours I would say.  Trying to do a cold pull now

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prusa Mini+ (Ordered Dec 19,2020 - Arrived Feb 21,2021) stated clicking Mar 2nd / MP Select Mini V2

Publié : 03/03/2021 1:59 am
Matt
 Matt
(@matt-2)
Trusted Member

@raymate

While you're doing that, check your hotend's PTFE tube. I had this exact same issue not long after starting using it, and the tube installed was almost 2mm shorter than the specification which looks like it was leaving the filament path uncompressed and allowing soft filament near the hotend to bow out into the gap during retractions and harden. The spare PTFE tube supplied with the printer was exactly the right length and since I fitted it and re-compressed the tube as per troubleshooting instructions for changing the hotend, I've had no problems. Well, apart from when I made the first layer a little too close to allow for filament flow, but that was fine once I backed it off again.

Publié : 03/03/2021 7:43 am
raymate a aimé
Page 225 / 241
Partager :