Question about extrusion with the M600 code

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
Frères3D
(@freres3d)

Hello, I have a question about the g-code M600. When I do the color change the extrusion to insert the new color takes a long time which I find wastes plastic for nothing. My question is is it possible in Prusaslicer to change the extruded mm before restarting the print? 

Thank you in advance for your response

Posted : 04/12/2021 7:22 pm
Michaël Fortin
(@michael-fortin)
Estimable Member
RE: Question about extrusion with the M600 code

Hey there!

The thing is, often at least that amount of extrusion is necessary to fully purge the previous color from the hot end and to ensure that you'll get a clean color after filament swap. This is most visible if you're switching from a deep color to a paler one. Without this amount of purging, you might get both the previous and current colors mixed together which would affect the look of the produced part (I assume that you want the part to look good as you're taking the time to make a color change). I even sometimes perform a second purge after filament swap when switching to a paler color to make sure it'll be perfect. Sometimes a subtle color shift is hard to notice on the purged filament but it'd be visible on the printed part.

The amount of wasted filament is truly negligible (a few centimetres at worst) so I'd suggest to keep it as it is. I don't know of any setting to change this, but I assume this could be hardcoded in the printer's firmware so if I'm right it'd be a hassle to change anyway.

Posted : 06/12/2021 1:51 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member
RE: Question about extrusion with the M600 code

The full marlin spec for M600 is described here https://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M600.html   

That does include parameters that can potentially be used.  I say potentially as its up to the firmware developers on each printer as to which (if ANY) of those parameters they support.  I'm not familiar with which are available on a Mk3  or any other prusa as the default M600 suffices for me. 
Also as you haven't actually said what printer you are using or even what flavour of gcode it uses then I'm afraid it will be up to you to determine what is available on your printer.

Posted : 06/12/2021 3:21 pm
Share: