poll 9, January 14th 2022 What sort of new filament would you make if you could.

Notifications
Clear all

What sort of new fialment type would you like to see? Poll is created on Jan 14, 2022

poll 9, January 14th 2022 What sort of new filament would you make if you could.  

Strona 1 / 2
  RSS
Same Old Shane
(@same-old-shane)
Member Admin

Hello all.

So if you had the knowledge, tools, materials, machinery and the blessings of the space pope, if you could create some new sort of filament. What would you make?

• Something strong, lightweight, and easy to print with
  • A combination of 2 existing filament types.
  • Some new variations, combinations, or some brand new colors.
  • My incredible kung fu skills created something completely new. (please share in the comments)

add 2 bonus points if you can pick out the 2 references, one for a movie, one for a TV show.

ALSO... since I can't add a second poll to this thread, PLEASE leave a comment if you would like to see these poll questions every week, or every other week. For myself I am thinking about every other week so it gives enough time for people to join in the topic and the general channel is not filled with a lot of poll questions.

Shane (AKA FromPrusa)

Opublikowany : 14/01/2022 11:13 am
Extra Fox
(@extra-fox)
Estimable Member
RE: poll 9, January 14th 2022 What sort of new filament would you make if you could.

I'm not likely your target for this poll as I like printing in PETG and that's about it. I mean, TPU is fun and prints well too so I guess I'm not that much of a monoculture. So for me color variety would be cool. I'm especially fond of some of the pastels and mattes I'm seeing come out.

If I were to print any other filament it would probably be a wood-based filament or the carbon fiber filaments.

Aaron

Opublikowany : 14/01/2022 4:22 pm
Diem
 Diem
(@diem)
Illustrious Member

Something electrically conductive.

Cheerio,

Opublikowany : 14/01/2022 5:56 pm
MysDawg polubić
3Delight
(@3delight)
Moderator Moderator
RE: poll 9, January 14th 2022 What sort of new filament would you make if you could.

I'd also like an electrically conductive filament for electronics projects.

Opublikowany : 15/01/2022 2:57 am
MysDawg polubić
Yveske
(@yveske)
Estimable Member

If you could make it electrically conductive low resistance high resolution resin, I would be all over it.

Having problems with bed adhesion every morning...

Opublikowany : 15/01/2022 7:10 am
MysDawg polubić
Sp4rkR4t
(@sp4rkr4t)
Estimable Member

Every colour imaginable in matte PETG.

Opublikowany : 15/01/2022 10:17 am
Joey
 Joey
(@joey-2)
Estimable Member

Kung fu is the movie. 

A rainbow filament with sparkly colors. So much rainbow seems so drab.

Mk3 - 1X
Mk3S - 2X
2021 Hyundai Palisade
Wife - 1X

Opublikowany : 15/01/2022 12:10 pm
Stefan
(@stefan-3)
Estimable Member
more colours of ASA

i think there is a market for a filament that matches the colour of silver anodized aluminium profiles.

Opublikowany : 15/01/2022 1:26 pm
AnnieR
(@annier)
Reputable Member

One that's in stock reliably!

Opublikowany : 15/01/2022 5:49 pm
ILikeBigRockets
(@ilikebigrockets)

Late to the party.....but I have an idea. 

UV curable filament!

Here is how it would work; blended or contained within the filament during the production process would be a UV curable resin/material. The fan on the printer would be equipped with UV lights that face the extruder. When you print an item the UV curable resin that is in the filament gets melted into the plastic and is cured by the UV light near instantly. While the fan cures the non-resin material.

You could make the filament a lot like flux/rosin core solder, or flux/rosin core welding wire, to contain the UV curable material if it couldn't be blended into the filament directly. There is plenty of flexibility in it to have a UV curable material wrapped by the regular filament, if needed.

To avoid the extruder being clogged we would approach it the same way as now, with heat. The curing can't happen above a certain temperature even with UV light. That way any material directly on the extruder stays above a temperature that keeps it from curing and clogging the extruder. This allows the UV light to only cure what has just been deposited and dropped in temperature.

We could probably make some pretty extreme prints with this!

Had the idea after watching my kids at the Orthodontist and seeing their UV curing adhesive for braces.

Opublikowany : 15/01/2022 10:37 pm
MysDawg i polubić
kennd
(@kennd)
Reputable Member
Poll frequency

Every other week would be fine. That way you don't have scramble to find a topic. However there needs to be a shut-ff time period after which it will be closed and no one can add more replies.

Kenn

Quality is the Journey, not the Destination. My limited prints->

Opublikowany : 19/01/2022 7:36 am
Lichtjaeger
(@lichtjaeger)
Noble Member

Some 100% biodegradable filament? Maybe cellulose acetate-based?

Opublikowany : 19/01/2022 9:25 am
Diem
 Diem
(@diem)
Illustrious Member

I'd be interested in celluloid filament.

Cheerio,

Opublikowany : 19/01/2022 10:53 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I like choices 1 and 3.  Light weight is great, but I need colors. 

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Opublikowany : 19/01/2022 11:23 am
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member
Posted by: @diem

Cheerio,

I would like to see this too.

If Prusa could devote a bit of R&D energy to something like this, it would open up a whole new (emerging) market for the filament, and, by virtue of association, Prusa printers and accessories as well.

To be truly useful, the product would have to have equal or preferably better conductivity than the (few) existing products currently available.  IIRC, one particular brand has close to the conductivity needed for practical circuits, and the others are, speaking freely, so poorly conductive that they are literally a joke when it comes to printing any kind of practical reliably working circuitry.

I'm not talking about high current or power applications, just typical mid-speed logic and perhaps noncritical small-signal analog.

Another thing that would be really helpful would be some method to reliably (physically and electrically) bond the ends of the 3d printed conductive traces to typical leads and contacts of common components.  Something like a conductive lacquer that would not separate from the metal component leads or contacts as well as the 3d print traces.  Examples I've seen have been makeshift and issue-prone.

This whole realm might be something for the Prusa Powers That Be (tm) to consider.

Thanks.

Opublikowany : 19/01/2022 9:55 pm
fuchsr
(@fuchsr)
Famed Member

Have you tried Proto-Pasta's conductive filament? All I know is it exists, I don't have a use for it myself. 

Opublikowany : 19/01/2022 11:03 pm
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

Here's the recent thread on this topic.

https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-general-discussion-announcements-and-releases/electrically-conductive-pla/

One of the products cited did have conductivity that might be practical for some real-world applications:

https://www.multi3dllc.com/product/electrifi/

IIAC, all of the others had resistivity so high that a practical trace would be well into the kilo-ohm range.

Opublikowany : 19/01/2022 11:16 pm
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

@fuchsr

I have, it's OK, but very high resistance. not great at all. higher conductivity would be nice.

The Filament Whisperer

Opublikowany : 19/01/2022 11:17 pm
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

Thinking further, and sorry about hijacking the thread (but it might be something for the Prusa decision-makers to take note of) it might be fortuitous to think in reverse, or outside of the box, to use the buzzword-compliant terminology.  😉

IIAC, all of the so-called conductive filaments are based upon polymer filaments that have conductive 'stuff' (for lack of a better term) added to them to make them conductive.

It might be worthwhile to think in the reverse, as in start with something that is highly conductive, such as common solder alloys (IIAC, solders melt in the ~200-ish C range) and work toward a formulation that would be suitable for 3d printing.

I know that trying to print with a solid core solder would be futile, as I'm sure that it would adhere to the common nozzles, but perhaps an alloy that is far more cohesive, and/or a nozzle of maybe aluminum or ceramic that the metallic filament would not readily adhere to.

Just some thinking out loud.

Opublikowany : 19/01/2022 11:26 pm
Ty polubić
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

Silver or Nickel

The Filament Whisperer

Opublikowany : 20/01/2022 12:07 am
Strona 1 / 2
Share: