Clear all

400 x 400 Prusa Printer?  

Stránka 6 / 19
  RSS
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: 400 x 400 Prusa Printer?
Posted by: CybrSage

Another nature denialist ignores the facts that do not agree with group think.

Denialist?  I just don’t have the problem.  I think?  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Napsal : 01/09/2019 6:40 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: Tim

Prusa can't reliably get Y-Axis stalls under control with the current design. 

I also have not heard of this issue until just now.

https://github.com/prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware/issues/673

But you are among those that have had to modify the Prusa to get satisfactory prints due to design problems, right?  Why else did you need 0.9 degree motors?  

I've also modified my printer out of necessity as my bearings were shot in weeks following Prusa advice.  I've made other changes I feel I shouldn't have had to do.  I'm not complaining - I like my MK3 - rather, I'm just making the observation Prusa is not the end all printer, and has design characteristics that don't fit all needs; same as I do about my car tires not being optimal for the vehicles intended purpose.  

Napsal : 01/09/2019 8:18 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: charles.h13
The design has already scaled a 400x400 and 300x300 by makers and engineers.  The Mega Prusa on instructible.  The only change they have made is Threaded rods instead of extrusions and plexiglass as a frame.  The videos and show ti printing well.  
then you said

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mega-Prusa-i3-Rework-8-x-Build-Volume/

I think a version without threaded rods and with aluminum for a frame extrusion would work.  

If the Instructable Mega Prusa is "printing well" why does it need to be changed from the rod design?  Sure, you can hack a VW bug to use a V8 engine; but doing hack mods like that to a design does not address limitations said hacks cause or amplify.  

Napsal : 01/09/2019 8:34 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

Another nature denialist ignores the facts that do not agree with group think.

Denialist?  I just don’t have the problem.  I think?  

I'm not sure who's saying what at this point, TBH.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Napsal : 01/09/2019 8:47 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: bobstro
I'm not sure who's saying what at this point, TBH.

Oooh, oooh, I'll raise my hand to that one!!!  I blame Tim!!!!

Napsal : 01/09/2019 9:01 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
The design has already scaled a 400x400 and 300x300 by makers and engineers.  The Mega Prusa on instructible.  The only change they have made is Threaded rods instead of extrusions and plexiglass as a frame.  The videos and show ti printing well.  
then you said

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mega-Prusa-i3-Rework-8-x-Build-Volume/

I think a version without threaded rods and with aluminum for a frame extrusion would work.  

If the Instructable Mega Prusa is "printing well" why does it need to be changed from the rod design?  Sure, you can hack a VW bug to use a V8 engine; but doing hack mods like that to a design does not address limitations said hacks cause or amplify.  

I don’t think it does.  I would just prefer it.  I never said the version with threaded rods wouldn’t work.  Four 8-10mm stainless rods are not gonna flex.  

Why are you so hostile?  I disagree with you.  You call all happy Prusa users fanboys.  Seems like you need to look within for the problem.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Napsal : 01/09/2019 9:18 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

I don’t think it does.  I would just prefer it.  I never said the version with threaded rods wouldn’t work.  Four 8-10mm stainless rods are not gonna flex.  

Aren't the rod-based designs the vestiges of the original rep-rap self-replicating movement? The idea being that you could buy the "vitamins" and print the rest yourself? I've read up a bit on the reprap project and JP's involvement, and it was fascinating, but it seems that the big commercial efforts have moved away from that early goal.

Would be interested in seeing how some of those beasts perform. 20mm XYZ cube would be muy interessant.

He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Napsal : 01/09/2019 9:48 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: bobstro

Aren't the rod-based designs the vestiges of the original rep-rap self-replicating movement? The idea being that you could buy the "vitamins" and print the rest yourself? I've read up a bit on the reprap project and JP's involvement, and it was fascinating, but it seems that the big commercial efforts have moved away from that early goal.

Would be interested in seeing how some of those beasts perform. 20mm XYZ cube would be muy interessant.

You are correct based my reading also.  I have been eyeing the big hyper cube.  I have wondered it it would work with the Rambo board or even a Duet.  I would like to have prusa like performance and a larger print bed.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Napsal : 01/09/2019 9:55 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
Why are you so hostile?  I disagree with you.  You call all happy Prusa users fanboys.  Seems like you need to look within for the problem.  

I think you're mistaking honest questions and observations as an attack.  Yet you suggest these other products are somehow better designs, yet you attack me personally when I point out their deficiencies.  Rather than attack, explain to me why the design is working and how did they overcome the deficiencies.  "It works because I saw a picture" doesn't cut it with me.  Or, "I'm happy you stepped out of the purchase line because now I'm next." doesn't really explain why a person is content waiting a year or more after paying for a product - and at the same time touting how great this "imaginary" product is.  How can a person say a product is great if they have no experience with it?   There's this saying that goes a long way in explaining my sentiment: “Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” Carl Sagan

As for Fanboy, I don't really see that as a derogatory term because it is descriptive of a behavior.  If you are happy with firmware that introduces just as many new defects as it tries to resolve, great.  In contrast, I think Prusa has room for improvement - in many areas - and I am happy to tell people that.   

If you felt I was attacking personally, I wasn't.   As for hostile?  I tend to say what I think, and in text on a forum,  it's problematic because body language is missing and sometimes context gets lost.  A person says "It is grey!"  Someone else says "No, it is gray!" and there is disagreement. 

Napsal : 01/09/2019 10:49 pm
timo.m se líbí
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

If you think the term fanboy is not derogatory, you are delusional.   Definition:  “a male fan, especially one who is obsessive about comics, music, movies, or science fiction.”  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Napsal : 01/09/2019 11:23 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
[...] at the same time touting how great this "imaginary" product is. 
I did some searching and found some old discussions here that are interesting in their own right. This quote was interesting:
[...] The problem I have with Josef Prusa and his designs is that he is a bit of an evangelist and tends to compromise printer design for the sake of meeting the tenants of the reprap community.
Apparently Jo was known for sticking to reprap principles at the expense of print quality. Looks like he made up for that! Perhaps that's a partial answer to the question of why Prusa hasn't done big one. The early rod designs might scale more easily than a solid frame. Not a machining expert, but a suitably robust Mk3-style frame might cause a lot of problems with shipping weights (esp. for a Czech production facility) and costs.

A couple of pics near the end show the prints they were able to produce:
Not bad for functional parts, especially from 2015, but it looks a bit rough. There is mention of having to adjust jerk settings to account for the heavy bed, but no values mentioned. One thing that's quickly apparent is that any mention of Prusa in context of these beasts is related to very early Prusa designs, nothing like the Mk3. 
[...] As for Fanboy, I don't really see that as a derogatory term because it is descriptive of a behavior.  If you are happy with firmware that introduces just as many new defects as it tries to resolve, great.  In contrast, I think Prusa has room for improvement - in many areas - and I am happy to tell people that.   
It's perfectly possible to like or prefer something without denying that it's 100% perfect. Fanboy is used derisively. It's not a neutral term. 

Napsal : 01/09/2019 11:33 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
Well - my dictionary says nothing about it being a derisive term ... but if that is how it's taken, sigh.   I took it as someone who is overly exuberant.  Mea culpa.

fan·boy
/ˈfanboi/

INFORMAL
noun
  1. a male fan, especially one who is obsessive about comics, music, movies, or science fiction.
verb
  1. (of a male fan) behave in an obsessive or overexcited way.
    "he fanboyed out meeting his idol on the red carpet"
Napsal : 02/09/2019 1:49 am
Jerry
(@jerry)
Estimable Member

Now that we are veering toward identities , solving big plates has two design preference for me:

Heating the plate needs 110 220 type elements  (such as silicone heater) (also 400 x 400 is not big to me).

The build plate should either be stationary or only move in z axis.

Who knows why I think so?

Napsal : 02/09/2019 6:46 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I am not opposed to a hypercube style design where only the Z axis moves.  I just think the engineers at Prusa know what they are doing.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Napsal : 02/09/2019 7:11 pm
Mabau
(@mabau)
Trusted Member

I suggest you simply extend the Z-height. It is easily doable with low cost and low effort yet it yields a much higher build volume - especially for rocket cones. I used the old parts from my MK2 when upgrading to full MK3. Together with the 2.5 upgrade on sale for me and a "you already have a Prusa MK3 so you can do what you want"-attitude I mixed all the parts up to build this as my second printer:

Edit: I do not know why, but the forum-software dimensionally compresses this image in Z. What a paradox.... 🤣 Prusa does really not want a bigger printer 😀

Yes, I just cutted the old frame and extended it with 3d-printed parts while reusing the cutted pieces.The red things are printed in Nylon (cheap af lawn cutter line), including the nut for Z-travel. The threaded rod can move on top, it was just because of the flexible shaft coupler making it move too much on low layer heights.

However, you should print slower when going higher due to wobbling. But it is not as bad as you might think, with vase mode you can use 100% speed on PETG at Z-height >200mm. This test object came out pretty nice that way. With real prints (not those "its fast but you can't tell nothing about print speed or quality"-vase things you always see on expo's) you should use 50% speed at Z200 and above. Then you still get nice results comparable to the standard Prusa MK3.

Here is the much less modded alternative it was before, you can take it from Thingiverse (I will update the extruder exchange mod in near future):

This post was modified před 5 years 2 times by Mabau
Napsal : 03/09/2019 2:55 pm
Birdman2010
(@birdman2010)
Eminent Member

I think that a lot of people would purchase a Prusa XL that is 400 x 400 and sells for $995 US as a kit and $1295 US as an assembled machine.  Prusa, can I get one for Christmas?

Napsal : 14/09/2019 7:02 am
Birdman2010
(@birdman2010)
Eminent Member
Posted by: Birdman2010

I think that a lot of people would purchase a Prusa XL that is 400 x 400 and sells for $995 US as a kit and $1295 US as an assembled machine.  Prusa, can I get one for Christmas?

What do you all think about 
a CoreXY that has a build v
of 400 x 400? I would put
my credit card down right
now if the price was $995 US
for the kit and $1,295 for
the pre-assembled printer.
Josef, you would sell a ton o
them!
This post was modified před 5 years by Birdman2010
Napsal : 15/09/2019 6:16 am
91d3on Mining
(@91d3on-mining)
Eminent Member

Here's some examples of large format FDM printers. If we can replicate what they're building them from..

https://bigrep.com/bigrep-one/

https://3dplatform.com/3d-platform-announces-the-workbenchxtreme/

https://www.modix3d.com/

https://shop.re3d.org/products/gigabot-xlt

But, I assume we would rather want to stay with the roots and go with a Instructable Mega Prusa design?

This post was modified před 5 years by 91d3on Mining
Napsal : 17/09/2019 4:23 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: @birdman2010
Posted by: Birdman2010

What do you all think about 
a CoreXY that has a build v
of 400 x 400? I would put
my credit card down right
now if the price was $995 US
for the kit and $1,295 for
the pre-assembled printer.
Josef, you would sell a ton o
them!

I am all for it, but can they meet that price range?

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Napsal : 17/09/2019 5:02 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: @jadedreddragon

Here's some examples of large format FDM printers. If we can replicate what they're building them from..

https://bigrep.com/bigrep-one/

https://3dplatform.com/3d-platform-announces-the-workbenchxtreme/

https://www.modix3d.com/

https://shop.re3d.org/products/gigabot-xlt

But, I assume we would rather want to stay with the roots and go with a Instructable Mega Prusa design?

Too big and too rich for my wallet.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Napsal : 17/09/2019 5:02 pm
Stránka 6 / 19
Share: