400 x 400 Prusa Printer?  

Page 16 / 19
  RSS
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: 400 x 400 Prusa Printer?
Posted by: @robb-lincoln

@jim-s3

I’m anxious to see Prusa’s XL solution simply because I love well thought out industrial design.  My needs are better met by a Mini and if that proves successful, an SL1.  A number of things have kept me from pulling “all systems go” lever on the purchase machine is the twin issues of recycled materials and toxic resins.  Once I’m convinced I can print without contributing to ecological collapse I’ll move forward with due speed.

I agree.  I a similar, but the SLI might be after the Xl for me.  I need to build a larger workspace outside my home for that.  The fumes in my apart would be my limit there.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 06/12/2019 9:30 am
pingu
(@pingu)
Estimable Member

in my city actuall a build and working hypercube evolution 300x300x300 is for sell. im thinking  about to buy it, but actually the guy wants 500 € bucks for it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2254103

can anybody say anything about this printer? looks absolut legit and well engeneered. only thing i am struggling with is the software side, controler, etc

Posted : 06/12/2019 9:37 am
Sembazuru
(@sembazuru)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @charles-h13

@sembazuru

That would be perfect.  I would love to see the specs.  Please send me a copy.  

That would be perfect for long nosecones.  

Sorry for the delay. Here is the spec sheet:

https://core3d.tech/c3dt-bd-the-big-delta-3d-printer/

Also, here is the website that the QR code links to:

See my (limited) designs on:
Printables - https://www.printables.com/@Sembazuru
Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/Sembazuru/designs

Posted : 06/12/2019 2:31 pm
Birdman2010
(@birdman2010-2)
Posted by: @sembazuru

@sembazuru

A BOM of $3,925...  That makes the new Prusa XL sound like a bargain!  The big delta has a height of 1245 mm, but you have to build it from scratch with a BOM of $3,925.  I guess that if you need to print something that tall (rocket parts), the price would be reasonable.

I'll wait for the Prusa XL.    😀 

Posted : 06/12/2019 4:19 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

Since wild speculation and interpretation seem to be the order of the day, thought I'd share something that popped up over on Reddit for everyone to chew on...

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 09/12/2019 3:51 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

Interesting Bob.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 09/12/2019 4:20 am
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

This was thread speculating about MK4 though. Large printer and MK4 could have completely different extruder setup. But I am curious regardless.

Posted : 09/12/2019 1:56 pm
Dan
 Dan
(@dan-2)
Eminent Member

@bobstro

I think Prusa will come up with their own solution. They already started the same with the mini by using Aluminium extrusion for the hotend assembly. I think they will do a similar approach on the XL and maybe also using an aluminum body for the whole tool head. I am already excited 🤗🤗

Posted : 09/12/2019 2:07 pm
Sembazuru
(@sembazuru)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @rickjbird
Posted by: @sembazuru

@sembazuru

A BOM of $3,925...  That makes the new Prusa XL sound like a bargain!  The big delta has a height of 1245 mm, but you have to build it from scratch with a BOM of $3,925.  I guess that if you need to print something that tall (rocket parts), the price would be reasonable.

I'll wait for the Prusa XL.    😀 

Yes, it is a pricey build. But looking through the BOM, over half the cost (56%, $2208) is in the precision parts, the linear rails and rail blocks. That gives the exceptional build height of 1.245 meters. Not something even the proposed size of the Prusa XL can do, so this printer is obviously for a different use case. Which is why I thought charles would be interested because his use case is exactly printing rocket parts. 😉

See my (limited) designs on:
Printables - https://www.printables.com/@Sembazuru
Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/Sembazuru/designs

Posted : 09/12/2019 3:31 pm
Birdman2010
(@birdman2010-2)

@sembazuru

I agree with you:  "I guess that if you need to print something that tall (rocket parts), the price would be reasonable."

Posted : 09/12/2019 4:03 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member
Posted by: @bobstro

Since wild speculation and interpretation seem to be the order of the day, thought I'd share something that popped up over on Reddit for everyone to chew on...

I'm wandering why Prusa think they can do a better job in extruder design. E3D is specialized on this and their extruder (E3Dv6) is part of the MK2/MK3 success. The route PR went with the Mini is similar to the Chinese clones. Cutting down the costs and stay compatible to E3D nozzles. Can't tell I like it.

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 09/12/2019 4:18 pm
Dan
 Dan
(@dan-2)
Eminent Member

@nikolai-r

I do not think they claim to do better but likewise. I agree that adding costy extruders often doesn’t provide equally quality improvements. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely stunned by the Hemera because it fixes a lot.

Posted : 09/12/2019 4:25 pm
Lichtjaeger
(@lichtjaeger)
Noble Member
Posted by: @nikolai-r
Posted by: @bobstro

I'm wandering why Prusa think they can do a better job in extruder design. E3D is specialized on this and their extruder (E3Dv6) is part of the MK2/MK3 success. The route PR went with the Mini is similar to the Chinese clones. Cutting down the costs and stay compatible to E3D nozzles. Can't tell I like it.

I would say ... it depends. As you said, Prusa and E3D are tightly connected. Maybe the new extruder is not a Hemera but a similar design (maybe even from E3D) specialized for Prusa printers and the MMU2(3?).

Posted : 09/12/2019 4:32 pm
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

Maybe it's not a question of doing better job, but being good enough for the job it needs to do? We do not know yet anything about upcoming printers and their extruder setups, those may have designs, mounting mechanism and features where current commercially sold products do not fit well. For all I fantasize it can be IDEX, toolchanger, watercooled, printing from pellets, melting plastic with lasers, ... 🤷‍♀️ Most probably it will be something more traditional, but from what Josef wrote it seems those may either not be compatible, or bring additional value.

Posted : 09/12/2019 4:53 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@nikolai-r

I think time will tell if this is a good decision.  Not all change is bad.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 09/12/2019 4:54 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

@charles-h13

I'm looking at the previous development from PR in regards to the Extruder and so far they didn't shine.

• MMU2 chimney design.
  • Special heatbreak
  • Hot running extruder motor

Everything is kind of working but nothing I would say: "wow, great design". Means they don't have right knowledge/people for this job right now.

I understand why Hemera is not ideal for MK3/MK4 line. It misses the filament sensor ,which is essential in the current setup. It's also hard to modify/add components due to compact design. But as far as I understand Prusa strategy is to make their own (open source?) extruder and produce it locally in czech.

This might be a right step long term but for us consumers it means the next PR printer generation will most likely require extruder swap. I'm not worried about the Mini because it's a simple bowden setup. Nothing complex and not much can go wrong (finger crossed). But the next direct drive from PR might get interesting. 

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 09/12/2019 5:28 pm
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

Jason Foss published a trancription of commnunity chat with Josef Prusa. This part was about E3D Hemera and may be relevant to XL thread:

I would just wait for a couple months before deciding if you want to put it on the MK3 as we have pretty amazing extruder in the works for XL and we might provide as an update for MK3/S.

So, a new extruder (probably one).

Posted : 18/12/2019 11:09 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

It seems like there is no will to work together with E3D. No idea where it's coming from, but telling the community not to buy something is a new level. Looks like BMG+Prusa+E3D are not friends anymore and it's all about hard competition on the market.

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 18/12/2019 11:19 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@nikolai-r

It is probably normal cost reduction.Producing their own extruder would be cheaper and they would have more control over the design process.

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 18/12/2019 11:50 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

@charles-h13

Yes. I'm pretty sure this is the reason. It also looks like Prusa is following the strategy/goal to do everything in-house and produce stuff in CZ, if possible.

Anyway, telling not to buy from competitors is a different story. People always tried different stuff and compared to each other. We have a pretty healthy competition in 3DP scene. I think it's also driving and pushing the development forward. Seems to me like Prusa is getting nervous about that. His statements in the interview are slightly pointing towards that for me.

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 19/12/2019 12:14 am
Page 16 / 19
Share: