Clear all

How to setup PrusaLink  

RSS
Tojik
(@tojik)
Member Moderator
How to setup PrusaLink

@bendrumin:

I am stuck with a loop of downloading the .ini file, where do I upload it?

Original: https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/postid/637545/

Posted : 09/02/2023 9:39 am
Tojik
(@tojik)
Member Moderator
Topic starter answered:
RE:

This sounds like you are trying to set up an MK3(S/+) from PrusaConnect. Is this the page you're on?

In that case, you need PrusaLink. It says so on the page.
Sorry there's no link to a guide, we had some problems keeping the link up to date.
And sorry if we made you think the MK3 can access Connect all by itself.
Guide: https://help.prusa3d.com/guide/prusalink-and-prusa-connect-setup-for-mk3-s-_221744

Posted : 09/02/2023 9:55 am
Jon
 Jon
(@jon-10)
RE: How to setup PrusaLink

Maybe it's just me, but that guide is intimidating.  I actually built a nice AIO with touchscreen to host octopi and octodash for my MK3S+... But I'd sure prefer to use PrusaLink and Connect.  I found a Zero 2 W kit in stock at Pimoroni, which was actually reasonably priced so I decided to order one and attempt the install once my MK4 comes.  

I look at that guide though, and having to physically solder connections etc is daunting.  It would sure be a lot simpler just to install PrusaLink on a linux machine and control via USB...  which I gather is doable, but I'm struggling to find guides or guidelines on how to do so.  Is there a preferred linux environment?  I am reasonably familiar with several linux builds and I'm way more comfortable with shell commands than I am with a soldering iron.  Thanks in advance for any  sources of info on either process, I look forward to attempting this once I have another printer functioning and can afford the downtime to really focus on the project.

Posted : 04/08/2023 8:14 pm
Tojik
(@tojik)
Member Moderator
Topic starter answered:

Hi, the MK4 does work with Connect by itself. Just feel like throwing it out there since you mentioned it. In the case of the three, you can flash PrusaLink on any pi and connect it via USB, it should detect it automatically now. The guide for using USB is coming if not already out. Hope that helps to clarify the situation. Feel free to let me know how the setup goes.

Posted : 04/08/2023 11:52 pm
Jon
 Jon
(@jon-10)

Just to clarify, flash the SD card with the prusalink image, not the manual install, right?

Posted : 05/08/2023 12:51 am
Tojik
(@tojik)
Member Moderator
Topic starter answered:

What do you refer to as the manual install?

Yes, the prusalink image version 0.7.0 from github

Posted : 05/08/2023 1:05 am
Jon
 Jon
(@jon-10)

Nevermind, the process was easy and I have already started configuring it.  Thank you!

Posted : 05/08/2023 1:06 am
Jon
 Jon
(@jon-10)

Good lord that whole process was easy and pain free.  I would like to be able to show the Dashboard on the rPi 7" touchscreen I am running this on.  Would I have to manually install a GUI and browse to localhost via whatever builtin browser is there. If not, I may switch over to running headless and just integrate it into my enclosure instead of sitting on top of it.  Thank you again for the help! I had no idea how simple that would be and the interface for both connect and Link are is much cleaner than octprint was.  (Octo probably has more versatility via the plug-ins, but this was extremely worth it.)

Posted : 05/08/2023 1:50 am
Tojik liked
Tojik
(@tojik)
Member Moderator
Topic starter answered:
RE:

Yea, that screen will be a hitch. We do not install a gui to get the most out of the pi zeros. Soo yea, you are on your own on that one, sorry. Also, its 5am on a friday night / saturday morning 😅  so I cannot assist right now, but I would hope the standard rpi tutorials for setting the screen up should still work, you seem to have the right idea tho. The image is a standard rpi os lite with PrusaLink on top. Good luck ✌️

Posted : 05/08/2023 2:52 am
ov_darkness
(@ov_darkness)

Did anyone managed to actually connect PrusaLink to Mk4?
Mine is hanging on this (I've removed ESP32):

Posted : 23/08/2023 8:11 pm
dasdigidings
(@dasdigidings)

The MK4 is connected to PrusaLink directly without a RPi to my knowledge (like the XL) - just put the MK4 on your network and connect it - my XL needed a "prusa_printer_settings.ini" to initialise contact to the prusa server, do not know wether a MK4 need this too.

Posted : 24/08/2023 4:16 pm
Tojik
(@tojik)
Member Moderator
Topic starter answered:

MK3 PrusaLink cannot work with the MK4. The two have different firmware, and I wrote the serial communication against the 8bit Prusa-Firmware. Sorry

Posted : 24/08/2023 4:42 pm
ov_darkness
(@ov_darkness)

Not good enough for me. I need more options and more control. I'll try my luck with Octoprint.

Posted : 28/08/2023 6:37 pm
ov_darkness
(@ov_darkness)

Hi,

It's so nice that the actual devs are reading this! 😀
Any chance for Octoprint support in Mk4 and XL?
They are unfortunately pretty much useless without remote control and monitoring (at least as farm machines).
That would be a pity, because Mk4 is a very capable machine!

Posted : 28/08/2023 6:38 pm
Tojik
(@tojik)
Member Moderator
Topic starter answered:

This has been recently brought up and I believe it's been worked into the plans for fw development. There's still so much to do on the xBuddy FW, so no idea when this will get addressed. I am not in the position to give like official statements and stuff, so please don't take it as such. Thank you 🙂

Posted : 28/08/2023 6:44 pm
Share: