RE: Prusa Mini Silicone Bed Leveling Mod

@karl-herbert

Posted : 14/01/2021 7:02 am
Klaaz
(@klaaz)
Posted by: @klaaz

@karl-herbert

The hole from the y-carriage is 2,6 but it seems that the y-carriage is nog printed material but from metal?

Posted : 14/01/2021 7:13 am
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@klaaz

Of course, this does not work. You cannot melt the inserts into aluminum. Aluminum has a melting temperature of approx. 630 degrees C.
You have to drill the holes larger (approx. 4.5mm) and then press in the inserts. This also works well with a vice. You have to make sure that the inserts are pressed in straight and that they have a tight fit.

It's best to test on a dummy sheet first and press in an insert before drilling the holes in the "frog".

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 14/01/2021 7:04 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@klaaz

I think the holes in the "frog" are bigger than 2.6mm - more like 3.2mm. If these really only had 2.6mm, you wouldn't need an insert and could cut an M3 thread instead.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 14/01/2021 7:08 pm
Klaaz
(@klaaz)

@karl-herbert

I have put in press fits, this works also great.

But thanks for your reply's

Posted : 14/01/2021 9:23 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@klaaz

Which inserts did you use for this and how large did you rebore the holes. This and the source of supply of the material would certainly be interesting for other "rebuilders".

Posted : 14/01/2021 9:51 pm
Klaaz
(@klaaz)

I drilled the holes to 5mm, then put the m3 press fit in and its tighten very well.

The tool is named a: blind rivet nut hole tool

Posted : 14/01/2021 10:11 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@klaaz

Thanks for the information! Many ways lead to the goal.

Have fun and good luck!

Posted : 14/01/2021 10:21 pm
tmswyr
(@tmswyr)

Has anyone in Germany been able to source the hardware parts and tubes and has some leftovers they would like to sell?

Posted : 16/01/2021 4:35 pm
Steve Smith
(@steve-smith)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @tmswyr

Has anyone in Germany been able to source the hardware parts and tubes and has some leftovers they would like to sell?

Im in Sweden, and got the nuts and screws from a store in Germany...

https://www.t2shop.de/epages/61746328.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61746328/Products/17-51633

And the Tubing I had some spare lay around.

My Mini has: A SuperPINDA + Bondtech Heatbreak + Bondtech Extruder installed

Posted : 16/01/2021 4:47 pm
tmswyr
(@tmswyr)

@steve-smith, thanks for your reply! I was hoping to save some shipping costs, especially for the tube. In addition, this topic is absolutely new for me, so I am not sure about what to look out for. I found this silicone hose, but my question is if the temperature up to +180°C is good enough?

This post was modified 3 years ago by tmswyr
Posted : 16/01/2021 7:32 pm
Steve Smith
(@steve-smith)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @tmswyr

@steve-smith, thanks for your reply! I was hoping to save some shipping costs, especially for the tube. In addition, this topic is absolutely new for me, so I am not sure about what to look out for. I found this silicone hose, but my question is if the temperature up to +180°C is good enough?

I didnt think Shipping inside Germany would be that much.. 

Temperature Range (-) 60°C to (+) 180°C.   Your never going to get anywhere near those temps on the bed. 

My Mini has: A SuperPINDA + Bondtech Heatbreak + Bondtech Extruder installed

Posted : 17/01/2021 1:33 pm
örkelprint
(@orkelprint)
Eminent Member

Just did the mod and my first layer test looks awesome now. Thanks for the guide and especially the nice conversion tool.

@tmswyr

Für so Kleinkram empfehle ich ebay, da ist der Versand meist gering. Diese extrakurzen Muttern brauchst du eigentlich nur an einer Stelle. Ich habe daher M3-18 Senkkopf und normale M3 Sicherungsmuttern genommen. Dann bei einem Paar Material abgefeilt. Habe von allem noch was übrig. Wenn du magst kann ich dir was zu geringem Preis schicken. Schreib mir ne Nachricht bei Interesse.

Posted : 21/01/2021 3:51 pm
Pietro
(@pietro)

@orkelprint

Hallo,

sag mal welche Muttern hast du abgefeilt? 
ich hab den Mini+ mit den gegossenen Front- und Rückteilen. Ich werde auch die beiden in der Mitte vorne und hinten bearbeiten müssen weil der Schlitten hängen bleibt. Ärgerlich sowas...

Posted : 21/01/2021 9:47 pm
örkelprint
(@orkelprint)
Eminent Member

@pietro

Nur bei der hinten in der Mitte, vorne ist genug Platz (jedenfalls bei der gedruckten Version). Mit Paar war eine Mutter+Schraube gemeint.

Posted : 22/01/2021 12:01 am
Pietro
(@pietro)

@orkelprint
guten Morgen! 
danke für den Hinweis! 
VG

Posted : 22/01/2021 7:47 am
TankerTech
(@tankertech)

Wondering if anyone has good tips or techniques for checking squareness of the x gantry to the y axis and then also how to check if the z axis is perpendicular to the bed? Similar to many others my bed visualization shows a downward slant from right to left of about 1.25-1.5mm total. I’ve tried the xz skew correction from prusa KB but I’ve gotten the max amount of correction I can before exceeding the max belt tension based on the prusa belt tension gauge. I hear people mention shimming to help this but it’s not clear to me where those shims would even go to still be stable and strong. Are people shimming the space between the controller box and the aluminum base rails? I know some are printing plastic braces to try and help as well but I think I need to have it more square before I can rely on a printed part from my mini to help it stay square. I like the idea of this bed leveling silicone mod but as suggested by others here just want to make sure ive got everything as square as i can first before tweaking the bed itself. thanks for any advice in advance.

PrusaSlicer. Stock MINI+. Novice printer.

Posted : 04/02/2021 11:02 pm
rockytoptim
(@rockytoptim)
Trusted Member

@tankertech

I used a small engineering square to check between Z axis frame and the bed frame.   I did have to shim mine a bit to get it square.

Posted : 04/02/2021 11:37 pm
TankerTech
(@tankertech)

@rockytoptim

What did you use as shims and where did you put them? 

PrusaSlicer. Stock MINI+. Novice printer.

Posted : 04/02/2021 11:44 pm
rockytoptim
(@rockytoptim)
Trusted Member

@tankertech

I had some 0.2mm layer 50 mm x 50 mm squares from when I do test prints on any new filaments.  So I cut some of those up and used those.  I had to shim mine where the xz bolts to the bed frame.  See picture with red circle.

Posted : 05/02/2021 12:53 am
Page 11 / 21
Share: