Notifications
Clear all

Wavering nozzle temp? 207C-214C?  

RSS
WildBill
(@wildbill)
Wavering nozzle temp? 207C-214C?

Hey guys. I could use some spoon fed help.

My bed temps are rock solid. I set it at 55C and it stays there, unwavering.

My nozzle temps, however, wander. On a 210C set point, the temps waver between 207C-214C.

I saw on a Facebook page for Prusa that there's a PID test and post test, some parameters that need to be set?

Is there a step by step on how to do this?

Posted : 30/10/2016 6:18 pm
keith.k
(@keith-k)
Re: Wavering nozzle temp? 207C-214C?

I am unfortunately having this same issue. Did you every figure out how to solve it?

Posted : 01/11/2016 9:31 pm
WildBill
(@wildbill)
Topic starter answered:

Nope. I also emailed Prusa and received no answer. Guess we're on our own.

Posted : 02/11/2016 1:56 am
ayourk
(@ayourk)
Reputable Member

Search the forum posts for "PID tuning" and you should find your answer.

Dimensions PNG

and an 8 inch (200mm) or greater caliper is recommended.

Posted : 02/11/2016 3:48 am
WildBill
(@wildbill)
Topic starter answered:

There are a bunch of threads, but no specific instruction set.

Posted : 02/11/2016 4:14 am
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

One of the posts gives this link: http://www.reprap.org/wiki/PID_Tuning

Follow the instructions there.

Also check that the connector in the thermistor cable at the back of the extruder body is secure; unplug and replug a couple of times to make sure it has a good connection.

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Posted : 02/11/2016 9:14 am
dimo.p
(@dimo-p)

This particular connector is a very weak spot. The crimping is not reliable, most probably due to the small diameter of the thermistor wire. My advice to everyone is to remove it and directly solder the wires. It already caused an issue for me.

Another part that needs a redesign is the flexible spine (the white nylon-like wire) used for the extruder's cable management. The idea is actually very good, but when this one gets out of the whole in the extruder enclosure, which is a question of time, it acts very contraproductive by amplifying the forces on the wires. I'm thinking about gluing it or using some fastening mechanism.

Posted : 02/11/2016 11:13 am
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

Another part that needs a redesign is the flexible spine (the white nylon-like wire) used for the extruder's cable management. The idea is actually very good, but when this one gets out of the whole in the extruder enclosure, which is a question of time, it acts very contraproductive by amplifying the forces on the wires. I'm thinking about gluing it or using some fastening mechanism.

The nylon filament does its job properly if cable tied correctly. However, it does need to be re-worked every few months as the nylon has a tendency to go limp. The solution to this is to turn it through 180 degrees, so gluing it in place is not a good idea.

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Posted : 02/11/2016 12:16 pm
dimo.p
(@dimo-p)

From an engineering point of view a mechanical solution that "need to be re-worked every few months" is simply not acceptable. Considering the direction of forces during movement the cable management of the Taz 6 is the direction Prusa should go, imho.

Posted : 02/11/2016 1:23 pm
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

the Taz 6 is the direction Prusa should go, imho.

So we should expect a tripling of the price of the Mk2?

Hint: the Mk2 is (currently) comparatively low-cost/high quality; if you feel the need to improve the engineering elements you should be able to achieve that yourself and remain well within the budget of a much more expensive printer.

Peter

Posted : 02/11/2016 1:49 pm
dimo.p
(@dimo-p)

This statement was targeted towards the cable management in particular. This part of the design shouldn't contribute much to the price difference between MK2 and Taz 6. Don't get me wrong here, the MK2 is what it is now due to community feedback and constant improvements made by Josef's team. They did a great job on keeping the price/reliability balance. This should continue in future too.

Posted : 02/11/2016 3:10 pm
ayourk
(@ayourk)
Reputable Member

This statement was targeted towards the cable management in particular. This part of the design shouldn't contribute much to the price difference between MK2 and Taz 6. Don't get me wrong here, the MK2 is what it is now due to community feedback and constant improvements made by Josef's team. They did a great job on keeping the price/reliability balance. This should continue in future too.

You could always move to Cable Chains. I have and am very happy.

Dimensions PNG

and an 8 inch (200mm) or greater caliper is recommended.

Posted : 02/11/2016 4:45 pm
WildBill
(@wildbill)
Topic starter answered:

One of the posts gives this link: http://www.reprap.org/wiki/PID_Tuning

Follow the instructions there.

Also check that the connector in the thermistor cable at the back of the extruder body is secure; unplug and replug a couple of times to make sure it has a good connection.

Peter

I created the file PID.gcode and entered the line M303 E0 S200 C8 into the file and saved that to the memory card. I then printed the file and nothing happened.

Again, I should not have to be going to a WIKI for a product I purchased from Prusa. They need to have a means to calibrate their own equipment for information from this website, not a third party.

Posted : 02/11/2016 9:22 pm
Share: