Fan speed stuck on 0 default even after nozzle heated to 210 degrees

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
tiago.d
(@tiago-d)

I've been printing for 2 weeks now and haven't had any issues.

Today, the first layer of my print looked all stringy and after cleaning the bed and starting again, did I notice that the big fan was not longer spinning.

I tested the fan by manually adjusting the speed setting through the printer menu and it comes back on, however, when printing, it stays off and the fan speed in the printer menu shows 0.

Has anyone else encountered this problem or have any idea what it could be that is preventing the fan from automatically turning on as printing starts?

I have not yet tested printing and turning the fan on manually other than for the V2Calibration which is only a few lines. I'm worried that the fan may stop in the middle of a bigger print and the printer get damaged.

Posted : 29/09/2017 11:23 am
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator
Re: Fan speed stuck on 0 default even after nozzle heated to 210 degrees

Print a model from the SD card and see how the fan behaves with that.

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Posted : 29/09/2017 12:49 pm
tiago.d
(@tiago-d)
Topic starter answered:

So after some more testing i ran the calibration self test and the fan come on and off as per the test steps.

Printed a small cube and manually tuened the fan on. On completion, it looked fine and the fan automatically turned off.

It seems its like fan has been overidden to be set to zero.

The only thing i did differently was to install Slic3r Prusa edition and sliced a model and tried printing. I was using Prusa Control beforehand. But 8 cant figure what or how this could have occured from switching software.

Posted : 29/09/2017 12:57 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

did you choose a filament material that needs cooling fan, such as PLA?

A far as I know, ABS doesn't use the cooling fan...!

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 29/09/2017 2:29 pm
tiago.d
(@tiago-d)
Topic starter answered:

Im using PLA.

As i havent had my printer for that long, does the fan on 9ther people's printers come on as soon as the filament is extruded or only after the first few layers have been completed?

After reading a few posts, Im not sure if I've just got the idea stuck in my head that the fan should be running from the start.

Posted : 29/09/2017 3:50 pm
GertL
(@gertl)
Reputable Member

Report this postQuote
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Print a model from the SD card and see how the fan behaves with that.

Peter

Did you do this ?

In the slicer you decide when the cooling part fan should start and with what % of revolution it should turn.

---
Gert

Posted : 29/09/2017 4:39 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

in a pla profile it is common for the fan to come on at the start of layer2

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 29/09/2017 9:28 pm
tiago.d
(@tiago-d)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks Joan for the confirmation.

So it seems that i jumped to conclusions about the fan when it must be something else.

I should have included a photo when i firat created this post. Below is the issue im having.

I might just create a new post with a correct subject line.

Thankyou all for the help.

Posted : 29/09/2017 10:51 pm
AJS
 AJS
(@ajs)
Noble Member

Looks like you need to set your first layer:

http://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/prusa-i3-kit-building-calibrating-first-print-main-f6/-before-you-ask-troubleshooting-video-updated--t472.html#p39190

Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage or loss. If you solve your problem, please post the solution…

Posted : 30/09/2017 12:50 am
Share: