Polycarbonate won't stick to I3 MK2(October 2016 version)

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
Knight
(@knight)

Hi all, I have been trying to print with Polycarbonate(PC) lately. Unfortunately the PC won't stick to the PEI sheet that is attached to the heatbed, I have tried different temperatures but none seem to work. Can anyone give me any tips?
I have tried lot of different combinations:

These are the latest 3 I have tried:

-277 Hot end/100 bed
-240 hot end/ 110 bed
-275 hot end/104 bed (seemed to work best but it won't stick starting the 2nd layer)
-even tried lower temps as described on the roll (which I have attached a photo)

I have tried Blue Painters tape on top of the heated Bed as well. What is interesting is that when I Do the V2calibration code from Prusa, it prints it extremely nice and smooth and perfect and sticks great... Any ideas? 😯

Thanks,

Posted : 29/10/2016 10:06 pm
SteveDunlap13
(@stevedunlap13)
Eminent Member
Re: Polycarbonate won't stick to I3 MK2(October 2016 version)

I've had success with PC using a glue stick. You're right in that it doesn't stick too well but the glue made my day.

---
Build to perform. Architect to evolve.

Posted : 30/10/2016 5:24 pm
Knight
(@knight)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks I will try the glue stick. I found out another thing that worked, I re-did the calibration for Poly Carbonate and moved the extruder closer to the heatbed, now it seems to be sticking, also the bed temperature I had to crank it close to 120 so it seemed to work good. One problem I have now is warping.

Posted : 03/11/2016 1:58 am
MrMik
(@mrmik)
Honorable Member

Thanks I will try the glue stick. I found out another thing that worked, I re-did the calibration for Poly Carbonate and moved the extruder closer to the heatbed, now it seems to be sticking, also the bed temperature I had to crank it close to 120 so it seemed to work good. One problem I have now is warping.

Probably warps because it is still not sticking well enough to the print bed.

Did you make any progress?

Posted : 10/12/2016 10:30 pm
adrianj
(@adrianj)

I had really good adhesion with BuildTak.
https://www.buildtak.com/product/buildtak-3d-printing-surface/
Comes as self adhesive film. Just lay it over the original Prusa bed, adjust for the height difference ( about 0.2 mm ) and print direct on it. Seems to work equally well for ABS, Polycarbonate, PLA, Polyester that I have tried. PLA tends to be very well attached, but adjusting Z up a bit is enough to keep it useable.

Posted : 15/12/2016 10:58 pm
MrMik
(@mrmik)
Honorable Member

Polymaker PC Max sticks so well that is is hard to get back off the PEI.
170C first layer, 165C other layers, bed 110C

Posted : 16/12/2016 2:46 am
Rob Nance
(@rob-nance)
Eminent Member

I know this is really old, but I'd hate for someone to see the last post and try that. I assume that the temperatures listed were 270 and 265, not 170 and 165.

Posted : 18/08/2017 10:56 pm
MrMik
(@mrmik)
Honorable Member

I know this is really old, but I'd hate for someone to see the last post and try that. I assume that the temperatures listed were 270 and 265, not 170 and 165.

True, my mistake, thanks for spotting it!

Posted : 19/08/2017 1:42 am
Share: