Clear all

I can not print below 200°C. WTF  

RSS
Sven
 Sven
(@sven-9)
I can not print below 200°C. WTF

Hello,

I would like to print PLA at a temperature of 175°C. (Spruce from extrudr) But no temperatures below 200 ° C are assumed.
ERROR: Preheat the nozzle. At a running print, simply no filament is extruded.

I'm a bit angry, what's up?

Greetings Sven

Posted : 11/02/2018 2:40 am
Kwaad2
(@kwaad2)
Honorable Member
Re: I can not print below 200°C. WTF

There is a saftey in the firmware? (I think) that prevents printing at too low of a temp.

My understanding is that it is a hassle to bypass this protection. (Personally I think a menu options that warns "Do it at your own risk. It's likely a bad idea, but go ahead if you want.")

Hi, I'm Sean. I used to work on CNC machines.
I try to not make mistakes, but the decision is YOURS.
Please feel free to donate to my filament/maintance fund.

Posted : 11/02/2018 3:29 am
dryja123
(@dryja123)
Honorable Member

I wonder if it's because the printer is capable of printing infill at 200mm/s. Perhaps lower temps could damage the extruder because it won't be able to feed the filament fast enough it isnt soft enough to run through the nozzle. I'm speculating though.

Posted : 11/02/2018 3:39 am
Kwaad2
(@kwaad2)
Honorable Member

I wonder if it's because the printer is capable of printing infill at 200mm/s. Perhaps lower temps could damage the extruder because it won't be able to feed the filament fast enough it isnt soft enough to run through the nozzle. I'm speculating though.

It won't "damage" per se... but it can and will cause clogs. To print at lower temps you GREATLY have to drop print speeds, and customize nearly everything.

A method of a clog can happen like this, to someone inexperienced with FDM.

1. Nozzle is too cool for "high flow rate".
2. Printing infill too fast, and bondtech gears skip. This takes chunks out of filament.
3. Bondtech gears are no longer able to bite into filament due to filament shaved out. after the next 2 hours of you not noticing, the filament clogs up the nozzle.
4. You spend hours attempting to un-clog the nozzle.
4. Blame PR for a crappy printer.

The MK3, really feels to me, like PR's attempt to make a 3D printer for the masses, and are attempting to make it idiot-proof.

Posted : 11/02/2018 4:13 am
Christopher Lee
(@christopher-lee)
Eminent Member

Thats odd I printed at 190 the other day for wood filament. But I think first layer was 200. Maybe that tricked it? I know i have lowered it even more when the print starts. So maybe just set it to 200 and have a large skirt. Once the skirt starts lower temp, and by the time it finished you may be at target?

Posted : 11/02/2018 7:30 am
ben.c5
(@ben-c5)
Eminent Member

I just printed the temperature tower I have posted earlier today in the MK3 forum here, It printed up to the 195 bridge but jammed at the 190 temp change

Posted : 11/02/2018 8:52 am
Sven
 Sven
(@sven-9)
Topic starter answered:

Hello all,

According to the manufacturer's specifications, printing should be between 170-200°C and up to 120mm/second. I print at 175°C and a maximum of 60mm/sec like my MK2s. The result is perfect with the woodfill filament on the MK2s. On the MK3 it simply stops extruding. The stepper motor does not rotate. I currently have the firmware 3.1.1.1-201.

Thanks for your help.

Greetings Sven

EDIT:
Terminal:
Send: G1 E5 F300
Recv: echo: cold extrusion prevented
Recv: ok

Can't you turn that shit off somehow? Slowly I wish my MK2s back. Fucking MK3 hype...

Posted : 11/02/2018 9:39 am
oliver.k3
(@oliver-k3)
Trusted Member

Hey,

i have the same Fillament (extrudr Spruce) i printed it perfectly fine with a 0,6mm nozzle and 175° with the first ever firmware the Printer came with. I havent printed this filament since the firmware updates. So while this might be the dumbest workaround ever, go back to a early firmware. This should definetly be fixed by Prusa (simply because there are low temperatue Filaments out there!!! )

Same goes for not beeing able to load and unload under 190° i understand the intention of it but i feel a Prusa printer should not be so user friendly for the "mainstream" that it stops other users from using it for every material out there.

Edit: It says 170-200 on the Extrudr page: https://extrudr.eu/collections/bdp/products/extrudr-fichte
The Box mine came in says 140°-180°

Posted : 11/02/2018 11:31 am
morten.e2
(@morten-e2)

you can lower the "cold extrusion prevented" temp in the config files, but you would need to re compile it yourself...

Posted : 11/02/2018 7:46 pm
Kwaad2
(@kwaad2)
Honorable Member

you can lower the "cold extrusion prevented" temp in the config files, but you would need to re compile it yourself...

This is what I was talking about the hard work-around.

My advise it go complain to PR support and ask.

Posted : 12/02/2018 3:31 am
digibluh
(@digibluh)
Reputable Member

wow, wtf are they thinking.... you should be able to retract as well at 160c or so.... because "cold pulls" require it. Long as it's not sitting too long, filament should be warm enough to pull up without issue. i do it all the time on the MK2s.

Posted : 12/02/2018 4:16 pm
oliver.k3
(@oliver-k3)
Trusted Member

Hey,

I just found out that you can change the Cold extrude Limit via gcode. so if you have means to send gcode to your printer that is a quick solution.
I havent tried printing with it yet but set it to 150° and can now execute the unload filament at 150+°

I send the gcode via the octoprint terminal.
"M302 S150" (for 150°) or any other number behind the "S"

Cheers
Oliver

Posted : 06/04/2018 9:59 am
MTJC
 MTJC
(@mtjc)
Trusted Member

What firmware you running?

Posted : 09/04/2018 4:02 pm
Share: