Page 2 / 2
  RSS
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: How to print 180 mm H beam

@flo-r

Hi Flo, 

there is a difference between adding  traditional supports and adding the type of supports that I suggested. 

normal supports  are not required for surfaces at 45 degrees to the vertical  and they tend to be difficult to remove and cause blemishes on the surfaces that they touch, 

the idea of what I suggested was more to stop the part that is being printed from falling over because of it's narrow bed contact surface area, and be easy to remove. 

hopefully the angle of print and easily removed supports will help Emily complete her task quickly. 

As Chocki says , there may be better alternatives to I beam girders... which may do away with the need for any supports

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 06/02/2020 4:58 pm
GKMAKEIT
(@gkmakeit)
Estimable Member

Can you give us the overall dimensions?
It’s really hard to make more accurate suggestions / recommendation without having all the dimension of the beam. We know the wall thickness is 2- 3mm and we have the 180mm dimension (height or length) I’m guessing. Different setup +  size of part can result in different outcomes. 

Posted : 06/02/2020 5:07 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

Withing the support section, there are many settings.  Contact Z is one that I find helps to minimize sag: I go as low as 0.01 mm (nearly in contact); and then adjust spacings and angles to get the minimum support needed, and my last step is to remove the contact layer, leaving just the vertical component.

Posted : 07/02/2020 6:22 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: